1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

When to go for the Culture district?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Chekko, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Chekko

Chekko Chieftain

I'm a newly Emperor player but one thing I find hard is when to build my Culture District. I'm so focused on Science and Production. They are like my two "must haves" and Culture is like on the side.

Please fellow Civ bretheren and sisters. Make me love the Culture and see when to build it.

I start with a Warrior onto a Slinger to get the Archery bonus. Then I improvise but usually go for a Settler next. And have my capital as a Settler spammer but my new cities as the builder producer, then use my builders to build 1-2 tiles on the new city and the rest on my capital to speed up the settler.

Everything is fine until I hit the Cultural District policy. Should I rush it? Should I aim for an amount of cities first, should I aim for Y amount of sciience before I go for the cultural district? I feel like going for it too early would slow down my production on other units.

Please fellow Civ fans, help me.

2. cylenalag

cylenalag Chieftain

Hi! What victory condition are you aiming for? Science? If so, having about half your cities with theater squares is a nice benchmark, starting Classical Era and next to as many wonders as possible. For cultural victory games, if you choose to focus on GWAMs, more theater squares will be necessary. Also, it’s more important to get good culture up before science because the civic tree has a lot of goodies you want to get early like Feudalism and the T2 governments for a burgeoning economy.

3. hhhhhh

hhhhhh Prince

Culture is very important, but building Theater Squares early is not the solution. They (and their buildings) are simply too expensive.

Try sources like pantheons, beliefs (Choral Music is hard but there's the one that gives 1 culture for every 4 followers) etc. And you can buy Great Works.

Only build TS when you get through mid-game, so you have some extra production to spare.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  4. Siddharth Venkatesh

Siddharth Venkatesh Warlord

I only build Theatres once I have enough envoys in cultural city states. By itself, a Theatre Square and its buildings are very poor return, and you only get good value from them via envoy bonuses.

In a science victory game, my district priority is usually Campus > Commercial Hub/Harbor (with preference for Harbor) > Theatre Square. Based on the civ, some cities might get Holy Sites early, Choral Music or Work Ethic or even Jesuit Education can be very strong. So the theatre square come in at pop 7 and that seems to be a good time for them.

Culture is vital in the early game for science and production and I would prioritize it over yields other than production perhaps. Political Philosophy is a massive economic boost, Recorded History will unlock a good chunk of science. Rationalism is also a huge boost in science and Democracy/Communism fixes all of your production issues via trade routes. You also want to unlock policy card boosts before producing the relevant military units (and I prefer building only 1 or 2 settlers before colonization).

You tend to get more long term science from good early culture than good early science. But as hhhhhh said, Theatre Squares do very little for this early culture, relative to the cost of building them. Prioritize monuments in your expands, choral music if possible, good pantheons and Pingala. Pingala should usually be your first 2 governor promotions just for the culture boost. I've been playing games recently with a self-imposed Magnus ban, just to test how much I rely on his chops, and it doesn't really affect my very early game that much (settlers get slowed down by not being able to efficiently chop them though, so the post-ancestral hall burst of momentum is gone).

I think your early build order is a bit iffy. I don't like opening warrior. I would always open scout. Scouting is vital, goody huts are huge value in the early game and first meeting city states, while nerfed a little, is still very important. Moreover, you want to meet your neighbors, so you can start selling them stuff. I would also recommend monument as your first build in your expands and builder/granary can be your second builds. You don't need to spam builders while your cities are small, they aren't working enough tiles, and a +2 culture bonus for every city you place down is one of the biggest momentum generators. You also can't have both Ilkum and Colonization in place before Political Philosophy so building Builders and Setters at the same time tends to be a bit inefficient. I'd also recommend getting the Ancestral Hall and Colonization card in play from your third settler on, maybe even your second. If your capital or second city has enough woods to chop, you can install Magnus, chop in the Govt. Plaza and Ancestral Hall and then chop out settlers.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  5. lotrmith

lotrmith King

Build TS when you have planned wonders and other districts to get to 3+ adjacency.

6. monikernemo

monikernemo Warlord

Production is somewhat low key overrated hmmm another way to boost adjacency is to build your TS adjacent to gov plazas

7. TheFinalChiTown

TheFinalChiTown Chieftain

8. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Culture is way more important for science than actual science until well into renaissance. Select places with entertainment complexes can net you an easy +4 on a few theatre squares. Also, culture from pastures or plantations is grossly underrated. That passive culture can really add up. I’d worry about science when cities get to around size 10, not before. I’m not saying don’d build campuses, of course :)

9. myclan

myclan Prince

I don’t like to chop, so I usually won’t build them unless I have a good adjacency bonus of +3 above. Until I get archaeology museum. Of course it only works for non-cultural victory. I prefer to build more cities with a monument to boost my culture.

10. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

If you follow this path, what you end up with having like 150 science and 30 culture.
    I tried it numerous times and it doesn't work nearly as good as 100 science and 80 culture.
    Over time, this second approach will go up to 500 science and 150 culture, and then to 1000 vs 250, thus widening the gap.

Science suffers from diminishing returns, because it needs production or gold to capitalize on its effects. Culture doesn't: it uses mainly existing infrastructure for its effects, so you're more at liberty to capitalize on existing yields, rather than asking you to burn production on new yields.

8housesofelixir and cylenalag like this.
  11. myclan

myclan Prince

I used to try to build colosseum to boost my culture, too. And by not chopping usually I’m not able to finish my campus fast enough to make such a huge different. But I agree TD should be built more early if without other culture source. The time when my civic advancement can’t keep up with tech.

12. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

I agree culture is important, but also that it's OK to delay theaters significantly. There are other sources of early culture that can carry you fairly far:
    - expansion + monuments
    - pantheons for +1 on plantations or pastures
    - CS bonuses
    - Pingala promotion
    - Colosseum
    - choral music
    - various unique abilities

they generally add up to a lot more than poor-adjacency theaters with just amphitheater. So it's ok to wait until you have better adjacencies and buildings with more impact.

8housesofelixir, Bibor and hhhhhh like this.
  13. Nigel_Tufnel2

Nigel_Tufnel2 King

I would agree with an early Scout and usually a Builder next. Get most/all of the early Inspirations (so an early-ish Monument can help in cap as well) to get to the L2 govts ASAP as indicated. I usually don't build TS until later as others have said (unless playing Greece or some other UD civ).

14. Siddharth Venkatesh

I find that going builder second often makes the builder come out a bit earlier than needed, as I don't have the techs to always make 3 improvements. I prefer my second build to either be another scout, a monument, a slinger or, very rarely, a settler (slinger and scout are most common). I usually end up buying my first builder after selling a luxury to the AI. That seems to work out for better timing.

Building Theatres once you have 1-3 envoys in multiple cultural city states gives pretty good return I think. Amphitheatres become excellent value if they provide 4-5 culture each.

15. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

don't cultural city states only give +1 per ampi nowadays?

16. Siddharth Venkatesh

Yeah but it has a base of +2 so with 2 city states you get to +4. And you only need 1 envoy in the CS now, which is really easy.

chazzycat likes this.
  17. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

TH itself is relatively ineffective until the tier 2 buildings - the two museums - show up (unless you are Maori, Japan, or Greece, of course).

If you want to play very effectively, Goddess of Festivals is insanely good for culture generation. It gives +1 culture to your plantations, and plantation is one of the most common improvement in the game - there are 14 different resources that require a plantation improvement.

Usually a fat city with Pingala stationed in it can provide you with enough culture output till mid-game. Adding monuments and you will be fine.

Personally, I often like to plop a TS after I finished some Classical or Medieval wonders; a +2 next to a wonder is still worth it.