1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

When to Retire?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by sjclarkey, May 8, 2011.

1. sjclarkey

sjclarkey Chieftain

I was just wondering when you decide to give up on a game. If I have approx 6 cities and lose 2 in a unexpected war where the other Civ has better units than me I tend to abandon the game with the belief I can't catch up again. Can I make a come back? I'm playing on Prince.

2. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Welcome to the forums [party]

Put simply , yes

And it will be the most satisfying win you ever have . You just gonna roll over to some some lame AI ? I think not

3. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

The AI will rarely completely steamroll you in civ IV - it'll happen some, but there's a good chance you can get peace.

Or, you can just build a ton of catapults, take your cities back and take his, too.

4. TippedScale

TippedScale Chieftain

Never give up, go until you've lost. :goodjob:

I have a current game going online with 10 cpu's and my friend, and back in the mid-late bc's right after building my 3rd city, Attila the Hun spawned with his 5 horse archers and rolled through all of my cities, finally being stopped by my last archer in my capital.

Thats the kind of of start that would have been reasonable to quit at, but i didn't. Fastforward to 1700AD and I have the largest land area, a 5-6 tech lead on the second best(my friend), 850+ science per turn(soon to be more) and I'm comfortably the most powerful nation in the world.
    :king:

5. MeatUnit2

MeatUnit2 Warlord

When trapped on a land mass with between two and half a dozen other civs, fighting the whole time and even rising to become the top dog, I find it disconcerting to be discovered or discover an outside civ that has twice the points that I do. I play huge maps marathon games and by the time Caravels show up it's already been a pretty long slog. Seeing that your civ is so far behind is a real groaner.

6. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

When? NEVER!

Many is the time that I have pulled victory from the jaws of defeat, when I thought I had nary a chance.

7. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

I retire when I get bored.

8. theskibum

theskibum Brewer of Oatmeal Stout

I always play to the bitter end, win or lose. Like others, I have pulled out some amazing wins after early "lessons" from the AI. One Monarch Epic game I got early dogpiled by Shaka and Ragnar. My own fault as I had only about .6 the power of both. I watched a 9 city empire reduced to 2 cities on a peninsula. Luckily I had horses, good food and several floodplains on it. I was able to secure peace with both, turn off my teching and focus on building nothing but HA's.

Used diplo with others to keep Rags and Shaka occupied with war and build my forces. Constant wars kept the tech pace slow. I was able to come out around 450 AD and take 10 of 15 cities from Shaka using spies and HA's. Within 20 turns I cap'd him. I next turned by attention to Ragnar. Keeping him at war and teching toward guilds, I upgraded all my nicely promoted HA's to knights and ground him to dust with spies/knights. I had a nice 21 city empire with one vassal after that. I played nice with everyone else while beelining steel, then rifling and mil tradition. Next wars chain cap'd Sury, Boudica, Izzy, and finally Pacal to get domination win. All this by 1800 AD or so. I was just starting to tech Assy Line when I won.

You should never quit.

9. Scoottr

Scoottr Prince

Last two games I played I almost gave up on because I lost several cities in each game to the AI. But I stuck it out and ended up winning both. Both were diplomatic wins if I remember correctly. One of them I had to attack Pericles to keep him from winning a cultural victory but that attack got his biggest enemy Monty to vote for me for the win!

10. unscratchedfoot

unscratchedfoot War is a good thing.

11. Riflin'Joe

Riflin'Joe Prince

I have a sneaking and admittedly uncharitable feeling that many people here are a little less rigorous about this than they let on. How many would be prepared to lose face admitting that actually, yes, they do sometimes quit games they shouldn't?

12. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

I can't speak for anyone else but, since I play for the immersion in the game, I have played out all my games, so far, even when I could see that the loss was unavoidable and I lost.

This does not count "games" that I start to test something with no intent of finishing once the concept or feature has been tested. In those cases, I don't even play the game other than what is needed to test, ie not trying to win, or achieve any goal other than the test.

13. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

:lol:

You're not far off, some games.

14. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Admittedly sprung :blush:

However , technically I only advised the OP not to retire and fight on . I regularly start again .

"Do as I say , not as I do" is my mantra

15. lasombra1984

lasombra1984 Prince

In my last game Saladin (wtf - he shared my religion) DOWed me at Pleased & took 4 of my 8 cities. But then I bribed another Cyrus & Mao. I returned my ciities, conquered his 4.
    I won a diplomatic AP victory, but retired after completing Cristo Redentor in Rio de Janejro with 34 cities.
    (Yes, Carrack is awesome on terra/large/marathon games)