1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

When to stop founding cities?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Art Morte, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Rosty K

Rosty K King

I'd probably settle less if the AI didn't feel the obligation to settle every single available spot between my cities instead of that land near their own capitals :D

With the current AI approach to settling I just have to make sure everything is covered...

2. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Yea, its odd... the forward settling is such a bad mistake by the ai... why would the devs have them do it? Don't they even have playtesters who know the ins and outs of the game?

I've given up trying to find a plausible rationale for some of the silliness. We just have to accept that some of the devs don't actually play the game, and/or can't connect an effect with its cause.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Seaside resorts
    Settling directly on a resource like ice oil.
    troll city to annoy the opposition when you do not want to start war.
    To get that trade route to a remote civ for a CV

on top of that

If I see a river mouth and the game will last over 50 turns I am landing and building a harbor/CH triangle before you can say Strawberry Jam.
    2 trade routes and a builder or 2... just dandy
    Sadly after turn 200 they are often rarer than rocking horse poo.

If you are lacking gold at the end I wonder where yours is all going.... too many expensive units perhaps?
    You do not need many, just experienced and mobile enough.

KyivanRusCivPlease likes this.
  4. KyivanRusCivPlease

KyivanRusCivPlease Prince

What do you mean by "worst luxuries distribution"?

5. Victoria

It does not take that long for cities to reach pop limits, and as a city gets bigger the value of the land they work is less unless you have a very sweet spot. I do not consider this an issue at all.

I'll take a 1 amenity hit to get some oil... or if its a lux it will be a +3 amenity hit. If its a resort town its a 1 amenity hit for 100+ tourism, well worth it. If its a troll city you will be warring and expect amenity hits anyway. River mouth, its going to be a 2 amenity hit for 20 gold... a weigh up is indeed needed there and a trade route to a remote civ is a late game + 100-1000 tourism hit to a single civ....once again a small weigh up but likely worth it for victory.

I forgot to add 2 other reasons I settle late cities

1. To remove the -18 "you occupy my city"
    2. To gain the english Pax Brittanica redcoat unit.

I do not know why I forgot them... I certainly use both of them but the first not currently as diplomacy is not worth it.

KyivanRusCivPlease and Siptah like this.
  6. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Russian troll cities are always fun late game. As are polish ones - you can easily steal a luxury or a strategic resource. What happens with adjacent districts? I never tried... Australia's culture bomb is less flexible und you have to be lucky. With Poland, there's always a sweet spot. And it is fun looking for those as well.

7. genyl

genyl Chieftain

A luxury provides 1 amenity to 4 cities. If you build more cities the amenities distribution will cover less of them

8. KyivanRusCivPlease

KyivanRusCivPlease Prince

Why do you build both the harbor and commercial hub? For the CH adjacency bonus from the adjacent harbor and for gold from buildings in them? I tend to build one of them in a given city - mainly because only one trade route slot is possible.
    What is 20 gold calculated from?

9. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

I'm sure I don't understand this one, Victoria... How does the founding of a new city remove this ?

10. Victoria

So... ignoring any coastal resources that also add adjacency.... and considering I am Victoria and play England rather a lot....
    The harbor gets +2 for the city and +1 for 2 districts and being an RNDY gets +2 for being off continent... so that's 5 gold
    The Commercial gets +2 for the river, +2 for the harbor and +1 for 2 districts adjacent... so that's 5 gold.
    With an adjacency card and a shipyard (ignoring the lighthouse) that's +20 gold, +2 trade routes and +10 production.
    Not English?... that's 16 gold, 1 trade route and 6 production... but add 2 coastal resources and you are back to English standards.
    I will not discuss the other cards you could stack

Only rough based on the above reasoning

When you make peace and still have the -18.... giving just one city back in the peace deal gets rid of it.... but if you cannot afford to do that.... found a new city later and sell it to them and poof the -18 is gone.... even if it is on ice... do it as England and you also get a free shiny new infantry man... ideally a redcoat.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  11. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Wow... never thought about this... of course it doesn't happen very often that I WANT to get rid of this so much I'm willing to spend a settler on it, but... moved up to deity lately, might become handy...
    ANd thinking about it, I bet you can sell it for at least something ressource equivalent of the setller, so probably not even a loss on this...

Thanks a lot

12. agonistes

Victoria forgot to mention Nan Modal.

Currently, one of the strongest set-ups is a Nan Modal/Auckland suzy with the CZ+Harbor running adjacency cards. God of the Sea doesn't hurt either.

13. Victoria

True.
    One tip on this... when something becomes strong or very strong, making it OP may not be as good as using another card to make you well rounded like Meritocracy. Of course CS are not cards but they are not as guaranteed as cards either... great when they come. Hence me using +20 gold as opposed to saying +40 ... just trying to keep it real.

14. agonistes

Which would be an interesting topic for an article. Finding that target zone where well-rounded trumps total focus. It changes depending on your short- and long- term goals, and what the ai is up to. For me, I collect great merchants, and use holy sites for food+amenities, so I rarely build theaters and campuses. If I have the space, I have been known to slide in a sneaky meritocracy. But normally I will run 50% settlers 100% of the game. It offers the biggest return on the investment by a large margin.

Aside from England, Japan can really make the above-discussed combo shine.