When to switch from 1 sci to slider bar

seagull

Chieftain
Hi,

In Ancient Age despotism while researching republic I tend to use 10% sci as long as it costs only 1-2 gpt. Where it gets to 4-5 gpt I switch to one scientist and save my money for rushing buildings as soon as I get republic.

Question is, what is the best time to switch back to the slider bar and speed up the republic. Too early costs more than 1000 gold (40gpt*25turns). But later (after 10-20 turns at 1 sci) the cost goes down.

The economic benefits from republic are large enough to justify some spending to speed it up (altough I may want to finish some wars first).

I have looked for recent threads about how fast the cost of completing research started at 1/40 goes down so I can decide when to switch over but all I found was threads that are more than a year old.

I have civ Gold which apparently includes PTW (which I upgraded to 1.27f)

Any suggestions about where to look?

Thanks,
Seagull.

on chieftain and warlord i would put the science bar as high as possible (or as soon as you only need 4 turns for a tech)

that could be on 100%. id go for republic and currency asapand than trying to figure out what you need to support your building you will have atleast from there on (temple, marketplace) but as its quite easy to be the techleader on that level i use to play with a high sciencerate...as high as it makes sense

Naturally I am interested in answers relevant to Monarch and above.

Early on it makes little sense to do fast research (except for the wheel or 2nd tech) because you'll trade your starting tech to the AI for all the 1st tier techs.

At higher levels they could even beat you to the 2nd tier techs and at that point it gets cheaper to buy (and trade) than to do your own research. Besides, adding money to circulation seems to make it easier for the civs close to you to trade with each other so you hardly ever need to buy a tech at monopoly prices (I let my neighbors do that when I can).

This nethod does not work as well for government techs though because the AI wants more than 1000g for them. Besides I'd rather not wait for an AI (or two) to develop republic, I want it ASAP as long as it makes sense.

What I am trying to figure out is when exactly does it start to make sense.

The cost to research republic can't have gone down significantly because of the 10-20 turns of research with 1 scientist. Lets say republic costs 1000 to research, then after your 10-20 turns of 1 scientist research it would still cost 980-990 to research.

On the other hand, if other civilizations have discovered republic while you were researching it, then its research cost (and the cost to buy the tech) will go down and that is probably what you noticed.

Top Bottom