When trying to maximize score...

Nog

Warlord
Ok, so I'm trying to salvage whatever fun is left for me with Civ 5 while looking/waiting for another game to take up my entertainment time ;)

So since playing on deity is just as easy as prince (no difference at all, just the cheating resources part), and because I noticed to matter what I do on deity, all my highest scores are still from prince (no score normalization), I decided to try and see how high I can get my score.

On 'normal' play to win, whether it was prince all the way to deity, my scores only end up around the mid 3.5k on down.

The biggest factors are wonders, # of cities, and population.

Also, I've never done an ICS since winning even on deity is easy and doesn't require it, but could be fun so will try. All my wins are domination although win type doesnt affect score.

So I'm wondering, in case anyone has tried to maximize their scores...

1) I normally go for Tradition -> Aristocracy since the 33% to Wonders, plus marble, makes it much easier to get some of those early, important Wonders. And they help score the most. That said, it seems (but i'm not 100% sure) that even if you didn't build the wonder, you still get the 40 or so points for it once you capture the city that has it. Can anyone confirm?

2) Assuming you still do #1, has ICS (# of cities) helped score enough? I can still get high pop without ICS but am tempted to try it just for fun now. Would you go Liberty -> Citizenship -> Meritocracy while staying at around 4-5 cities, or would it make more sense to go Patronage -> Philanthropy to help maintain a ton of CSing to feed food and culture?

3) If I try ICS, it's pretty clear that I'd need/want to go with Order -> ... Communism. I'd save up culture points with my 4-5 cities (forgot if puppeting them raises the costs of next SP) until I can expand that whole line and hit renessaince era?

Thoughts on what you've done to expand score? Going to try a huge map with 12 civs on prince even if it will be slow as death.

Are you sure win type doesn't affect score? I saved a game where the option was viable and changed from a domination win to a science win. It took about 30 turns longer but the final score was higher.

Maybe it was the wonder points from the Sydney Opera House that really did it?

Yeah, each wonder gives about 40 points.

What was your final score?

I haven't played with score in mind so far, but the highest score I got was around 4800 on a small map with diplomatic victory on immortal. The reason why I got a larger score than usual was because the AI built all the wonders and I then captured them later and puppeted them. I then grew all the puppets with maritime city states. I think puppets is a good tactic because they give less unhappiness but still give you (the same?) score for their population. ICS + puppets would probably be a good idea.

Well, going for score sounds kinda boring, as its not related to time like the old versions. I'd say if you want fun, play an Always War game. Since you're always in war with civs and city states, there's no insane advantages like lux trades or maritime spam.

Well, going for score sounds kinda boring, as its not related to time like the old versions. I'd say if you want fun, play an Always War game. Since you're always in war with civs and city states, there's no insane advantages like lux trades or maritime spam.

Problem is....crappy AI is crappy.

And since it sucks so bad, part of the fun (well like I said, not much left - looking for a new game) is to see how bad I can milk it.

What are some of the highest scores? Post screenshots of your Hall of Fame.

I want to at least break 4k first.

P.S. Yes, I recently traded everything I had for over 22k in gold, then attacked the next turn :p It was via naval ship so never attacked me once, made peace, got another 11k about 30 turns later.

Sorry, if the AI is that bad, they either never QA'd it (duh) or it's meant to be part of the game.

Problem is....crappy AI is crappy.

And since it sucks so bad, part of the fun (well like I said, not much left - looking for a new game) is to see how bad I can milk it.

P.S. Yes, I recently traded everything I had for over 22k in gold, then attacked the next turn :p It was via naval ship so never attacked me once, made peace, got another 11k about 30 turns later.

Sorry, if the AI is that bad, they either never QA'd it (duh) or it's meant to be part of the game.

Yeah but see, those problems don't occur, since you can't trade while you're always in wartime :p

Yeah but see, those problems don't occur, since you can't trade while you're always in wartime :p

True but then you throw away the other half of the game.

It's the only thing people can keep pointing to.

"But can you beat it if you don't do these 100 things and only use 1/3 of the map? Huh can you?"

Maybe they should release a game you can play based on the advertised features on the box.

I really am starting to think for any major franchise, this is indeed the worst release I can remember in the history of modern gaming.

Worse releases? Sure. But not for a major brand/franchise.

My highest is a 4230 Diety Diplo win. Not had diplo turned on since then as it seems a bit broken. I think I could have got more if Asika hadn't built the UN... I was puppeting 1-2 cities a turn by the end.

Personally I find it more fun if you pretend they programmed the AI correctly and don't poke massive holes in the rather obvious exploits. Makes it a bit more challenging too!

Game I just finished came in at 6k. I didn't do anything special, just an always war domination on a standard pangea. If you're doing domination wins, are you razing a lot of enemy cities? I ended up keeping 95% of the cities I took.

Anyways I'm sure if you were playing just for score you could break 10k or something.

Game I just finished came in at 6k. I didn't do anything special, just an always war domination on a standard pangea. If you're doing domination wins, are you razing a lot of enemy cities? I ended up keeping 95% of the cities I took.

Anyways I'm sure if you were playing just for score you could break 10k or something.

What maps size and how many civs?

Yeah, maybe I'll try a huge pangea next on epic time.

I'm finishing up a huge continents one now so Ill see what it spits out.

What was your in-game score before ending? i.e. was it 4k and then the HoF one was 6k+?

What maps size and how many civs?

Yeah, maybe I'll try a huge pangea next on epic time.

I'm finishing up a huge continents one now so Ill see what it spits out.

What was your in-game score before ending? i.e. was it 4k and then the HoF one was 6k+?

It was the game from this thread. Settings were pangea standard everything, so 8 civs.

Weird, in the endgame screen in the Ranking tab it shows 6172, but in the Hall of Fame tab it shows 5541. Not sure what the difference between those numbers is.

My in game score was 2963.
Cities-400
Pop-1100
Land-600
Wonders-600
Tech-200

It was the game from this thread. Settings were pangea standard everything, so 8 civs.

Weird, in the endgame screen in the Ranking tab it shows 6172, but in the Hall of Fame tab it shows 5541. Not sure what the difference between those numbers is.

Oooh! You finished it? Glad to hear you won, though I'm kinda sad the fun is over. :( That thread is epic win.

Oooh! You finished it? Glad to hear you won, though I'm kinda sad the fun is over. :( That thread is epic win.

I literally choked laughing when I saw the captain picard facepalm and the siege units going "wheeee!" Typical ranged A.I.

This was my top game, Emp, Mongols, Domination. Resulted in HoF score of approx 6150. With future tech every 1 turn, score goes up really fast.

[edit] In game score was about 4500. Razed almost 0 cities after the initial wave of conquest in the early game.

Ive gotten around the 5.5 k range. Emperor lvl, continents, std everything else. I was mongols and won by domination.

My highest scores are always domination wins where I take over the whole map.

Just like to add, its also really disappointing the way the scoring works in civ V.

It does not take into account the year at time of victory and it does not take into account difficulty lvl.

How about some multipliers for this? So If you win fast on high difficulty (optimal play) you actually get rewarded for it.

Its kind of disappointing that the highest score in my hall of fame is a game my wife played on chieftan...

My in game score was 2963.
Cities-400
Pop-1100
Land-600
Wonders-600
Tech-200

I'm sorry, you must be mistaken.

That thread isn't allowed to end. It's too much fun to read. :goodjob:

Or at least you have to start another one soon.

Top Bottom