1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

When will "Beyond the Sword" come out for mac?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by Sebiche, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Sebiche

Sebiche is better than you

BEYOND THE SWORD looks and sounds soo VERY F****** cool!!!!!!!!!

...but when will it come out for mac?

Moderator Action: Please don't swear.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Moderator Action: And maybe you'd like to enlighten us as to what or who is Beyond the Sword, and what it has to do with Civ4?

2. MAS

MAS Deity

April 01 is coming, be weary of everything! Double check every news report on anything. (I haven't found any obvious clue for this one yet though, just mentioning it...)

Is laughing at a moderator an offense? Because I can't help myself at the moment! :lol:

Never read the CF front page? ;)

3. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

OK, got it. New Expansion Pack for Civ4. I wonder if Aspyr even know about it yet :rolleyes:

4. AlanH

Nope! .

5. dr_s

dr_s Prince

Reading the description, it does seem like it should be called "Beyond the Mods" rather than "Beyond the Sword", but if it brings Blake's Better AI to the Mac, I won't complain.

6. AlanH

:rotfl:

It was certainly "beyond this mod" :blush:. I Googled it and found nothing. Of course, Google prolly re-indexes the 'net overnight, so hadn't picked up the announcement yet.

7. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

:snicker: Nothing gets past you, does it Alan? :mischief:

8. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

Hey, back off buck-o! No one, and I mean no one, hassles AlanH! :trouble:

;)

9. vilemerchant

vilemerchant Prince

I've heard BtS is coming out for mac to co-incide with the release of of civ 5 for PC :D

10. omero

omero Chieftain

Looking forward to Mac 'Beyond the Sword' Mac Version.

I seriously hope Aspyr announce this soon, and get the MAC version out as soon as possiblle (ideally a couple of months after the PC version).

I would pre-order a copy even now.

11. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

You Civ-whore! ;)

I like the idea of founding corporations and spreading their corporate tendrils throughout the world. :) It reminds me somewhat of Morgan in SMAC.

12. willpax

willpax Warlord

If my dreams come true, then Beyond the Sword includes a revision of mac and pc SDK so that both platforms can use all the mods without a sweat.

And everyone gets a free pony with purchase. Yeah, I can dream.

13. Sebiche

it would be pretty cool for the SDK to be compatible

all mac mod problems would be solved!

14. AlanH

An SDK can't solve the problems we already have with mods - incorrect XML text encoding, Python calls to the Windows registry, Python version differences ....

Even assuming an SDK is on the cards, I'd be surprised if it could be made 100% compatible with existing DLL code. Similar problems to the above will rear their heads again, only in C/C++ this time. The best we can hope for is that we can take source code for an existing mod DLL and work out how to adapt it to compile for the Mac version without too much hassle.

15. willpax

willpax Warlord

I would settle for that, but I'll be buying it anyway. Thanks for the reality check, AlanH.

16. AlanH

Me too, on both counts.

The dream is still alive ... If it comes true, we'll just have some work to do, I guess.

17. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

Well, the turn-around for Warlords was much better than for Civ 4 itself, so hope springs eternal. Really, add-on's like this are easy so porting them isn't too hard. Frankly, though, with summer coming up I may just borrow a PC with a decent 3D card and buy the PC version of Beyond the Sword. My Macbook can barely cut it for Civ 4 and in all liklihood, Beyond the Sword will cut us Intel graphics folks right out of the picture like the patch for Warlords does.

18. Sebiche

MAC PRIDE!

my intel core duo iMac can run 3 warlords and 1 iConquer without even slowing down.

hurray for showing off

19. Onagan

Onagan The Dutch

20. XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe Warlord

Go back to your cave, Troll! :borg: