1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

when will GOTM-1 results be in?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Chopperhead, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Chopperhead

Chopperhead Prince

just curious as to when the results will be in for GOTM-1??

didnt know which thread to tag this on so i started my own.

2. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

3. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

The submissions page is still open for another 12 hours.

4. civ_steve

civ_steve Deity Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

... I believe GOTM49 and COTM18 results are still pending as well :mischief:

5. ainwood

And COTM 19 as well, technically. ;)

6. Velvet-Glove

Velvet-Glove Prince

Could somebody post a link to the CivIV GoTM results page please? I'm having trouble finding it on the GoTM area - everything seems to refer to CivIII games so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. :confused:

Thanks! I promise to boomark it for future reference. ;)

7. ainwood

There isn't one, as yet. We'll post it when we post the results. :)

8. AlanH

Sorry, it seemed a bit pointless to publish a results page with no results in it, and just a remark "There are no results yet" :)

9. Velvet-Glove

Velvet-Glove Prince

Oh, OK, then. That explains why I couldn't find it, lol! ;) I just thought the GoTM01 results would be ready by now, that's all. But I quite understand that you may not be ready to roll it out just yet, I'll keep checking in every now and again and/or watch this forum for an announcement or something.

Thanks for replying. :)

10. AlanH

It will be announced in a new thread in this forum, on the main site front page news, and on the GOTM web site news page.

All of the above are available as RSS feeds, so you could subscribe to any of them, and get a notification in your browser or news reader as soon as we publish the results.

11. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Remember that our GOTM Staff are not only running CivIV GOTM but also CivIII COTM and CivIII GOTM. COTM 19 also ended at the end of January so two separate games need to be looked at. Plus when you consider there were around 600 submissions it’s going to take a while.

Not what you want to hear, but the results from COTM 18 were published on January 4th when the game ended at the end of November.

12. AlanH

I hope that was an exceptional situation. Our record is normally considerably better than that, and we typically get results out five to ten days after the game ends.

We had a pretty hectic December as we dealt with C-IV GOTM. With so many submissions, a manual submission process, many new players, new game software to understand, giving problems with its protection systems, another patch arriving, new web pages to set up ....

Something had to give, and I'm afraid it was the publication of previous results.

13. solenoozerec

solenoozerec Stranger

Please, do not get me wrong :nono:
    What will follow is not a suggestion, but just a question:

I hardly understand how GOTM staff is managing so many tasks. Obviously running three games a month takes a lot of time and effort. Giving the fact that the number of submissions for the last classic 3OTM dropped below 40, I am wondering how many players are worth these efforts.

14. AlanH

Don't forget the SGOTM, Quick Games and QSC :)

Normal results service should be resumed now that we have our C-IV automation up and running and the teething troubles start to die down. And don't forget that Staff tend to spend more time with our families at this time of year as well.

We would be surprised if C-IV GOTM didn't impact Civ3 GOTM participation, but the 39 player level for GOTM 49 is, at least partially, a seasonal drop. Check out the player count statistics, and count back 12 months at a time from GOTM 49 to 37 to 25/26. There have been dips in participation every year at holiday time.

15. ainwood

A lot of the problem with getting the latest GOTM results out was due to me - I had a particularly busy period in RL, although there was a bit of procrastination as well.

As Alan said - expect better things this year. :)

16. Velvet-Glove

Velvet-Glove Prince

You'll get no argument from me, mods! I run a busy forum myself, with lots of activities going on and a lot expected of me (being the 'boss'), and I know first hand just how demanding it can be and how RL can go out of the window sometimes. :rolleyes:

So I quite understand your situation and am perfectly happy to wait for the new results page, no worries!

Thanks to your prompting, AlanH, I have finally twigged how to add an RSS feed to my browser! I had seen it on CFC and tried to do this before but failed because I wasn't sure what to do - I haven't been using Firefox as my browser for very long so this is all new to me. Anyway, last night I took the time to read up on it and saw the light at last. :lol:

Thanks for all your hard work guys, you do so much here and I for one ceratinly appreciate it. :goodjob:

17. AlanH

... and your next mission, should you choose to accept it, will be to add an feed to your own forum :D

18. Velvet-Glove

Velvet-Glove Prince

LOL! No chance, Alan! I probably could do a feed if I put my mind to it but in recent weeks I've been making a concerted effort to cut down on the 'extra' jobs I took on to please my forum members as it was getting to be too much for me. I've been running that forum for 4 years now and am actually getting a little tired of it, if truth be told. :( I probably spend more time here now than I do there... it's refreshing and much more relaxing to be one of the 'plebs' than it is being an admin/mod... no responsibilities! :goodjob:

Besides, playing Civ is just too much fun and I need some time for that now, don't I. So no more bright ideas please! hehe. :p