1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

When will we see the first expansion?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by WillowBrook, Nov 13, 2017.

?

When will the first expansion for Civ VI be released?

Poll closed Nov 22, 2017.
  1. 2017

1.1%
  2. January 2018

1.1%
  3. February 2018

1.1%
  4. March 2018

3.4%
  5. April 2018

7.9%
  6. May 2018

10.1%
  7. June 2018

24.7%
  8. July 2018

21.3%
  9. August 2018

6.7%
  10. September 2018

9.0%
  11. October 2018

5.6%
  12. November 2018

4.5%
  13. December 2018

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 2019 or later

2.2%
  15. Never

1.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Given recent comments by Ed Beach about things to improve in Civ VI, it seems very likely that an expansion is in the works. When do you think it will be released? Guess the month.

If I remember, I'll revive this thread and congratulate those who guessed correctly once Firaxis announces a release date.

Poll is open for 4 weeks, but I'll try to have it closed early if we get an official announcement with a date before the 4 weeks is up.

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think it will be announced in March and released in June.

3. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Feel free to comment on your reasons for your guess or provide related speculation.

I'm guessing we'll have to wait until April or May for an announcement and it won't be out until September, mostly because I'm feeling pessimistic at the moment.

4. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

My guess is July but of course I wouldn't mind June with an announcement in March.

5. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Firaxis seems to like schedules. Following Civ5, G&K was announced on 16 February and released on 19 June. Curiously, the month of June 2018 appears to be strikingly similar to the month of June 2012. I'll bet on the past as a guide to the future. :)

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

They announced Civ VI in May of 2016, then did a media day in late May, and a big to-do at E3. I figure, they announce in March, then have a big to-do at PAX East in April. G&K came out in June, and Ed Beach inferred they would be following a similar schedule to Civ V's expansion.

However, they announced the XCOM expansion right at E3, so they might wait till PAX East too. That expansion came just two months later, which in this case is in June.

Additionally, it stands to reason there will be a comparable number of civs (9) and some alt-leaders in the expansion. I'll be generous and say 3 alt-leaders. That would be 12 First Looks. Sara Darney told me she intended to keep doing First Look voice-overs, which means they intend to keep that marketing model. So, if I take mid-late June and subtract 12 weeks, that puts us at the end of March and beginning of April.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Tchuli and WillowBrook like this.
  7. Vahnstad

Vahnstad King

I hope as many civs and as many leaders as possible. :p I would be happy with 9 + 3, but i'm more considering 8 + 1 or 8 + 2.

8. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

That's pretty much the pattern for Firaxis games/expansions. Announcement between February and April, release between June and October.

Now that they finally added two Southeast Asian civs, I'm more interested in additional alt-leaders than new Civs. I still want Ethiopia, Carthage, Byzantium, Mali and indigenous American civs, but I also really want a Tang dynasty emperor, a proper ancient pharaoh, a Sassanid shahanshah, an ancient Indian ruler (preferably a Maurya) and Bismarck.
    And Charlemagne as a leader for France and Germany.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  9. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

Could we just have an "I agree with whatever Eagle Pursuit says" option on the poll? :)

Also who has voted for never? Good to know that the forum doomsayers are voting promptly :rolleyes:

Leyrann likes this.
  10. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

Not necessarily doomsayers. They could believe that for civ6 only dlc's will be released. Not that I see that as an likely option.

Katakanja likes this.
  11. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

Aha, an interesting interpretation, though as you say it's pretty unlikely. Particularly given that Ed has more or less informally confirmed that an expansion will happen sooner or later in interviews. I think the only situation that could cause an expansion to never be released would be some kind of catastrophic failure at 2K.

Eagle Pursuit and Hakan-i Cihan like this.
  12. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Can I give this post two likes for the two different parts of it?

Also I went for April, exactly 1.5 years after release. Maybe a tad optimistic, but I like optimism.

Katakanja likes this.
  13. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Going back to Civ IV Warlords, every Civ expansion has been released in July, with the exception of Civ V Gods & Kings in June.

So I'd bet July 2018, but June is also a distinct possibility.

14. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

It's a public poll - click on the number of votes and you can see who voted for the option :cool:

Katakanja likes this.
  15. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Uh... Never heard of that guy... (no offense)

16. Vahnstad

Vahnstad King

We need more love for december 2018 :p

17. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

That poster just joined CFC a month or so ago. Even newcomers get a vote. :)

18. Art Morte

Art Morte Prince

Spring or Summer, I guess. Not looking forward, though, the base-game AI is too bad and the way every patch introduces new bugs don't make me keen on throwing more money at this thing. It's like happily paying the full fare for a taxi that leaves you half-way from your destination.

19. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

What makes you think it will take that long?

I mentioned this in another thread, but it applies here so I'll throw it out again. As far as we are aware Firaxis doesn't have any other games in development at the moment, so if they wait for a whole year before releasing the expansion that means they have to rely on what is probably going to be a fairly small trickle of DLC sales to make profit for the next year.

Obviously they have the support of 2K as their publisher and parent company, so its not like they can go bust out of nowhere, but I'm sure the execs and finance guys would prefer them to have a new product released at least every 12 months, so since the XCOM expansion came out in August, I feel like August/September 2018 is the absolute latest we will see the expansion for Civ VI - barring a release delay for some reason.

Guandao and Siptah like this.
  20. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I voted for July 2018. Gods and Kings was released in June, but Warlords was released in July. I think Firaxis will want to take some time to complete this expansion. I also see August 2018 as likely too.

As for when we start hearing news about it, maybe March or April.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.