1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] When will you be buying Rise and Fall?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by AnonymousSpeed, Dec 6, 2017.

?

When will you be buying Rise and Fall?

1. I'll be buying it at launch.

43 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. I'm cautiously optimistic. I'll buy it at launch if the reviews are good.

12 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. I'm distrustful of video game journalism. I'll buy it later on, if the fan reception is good.

19 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. I'm a cynic. I'll wait for the patches to fix the bugs and balancing issues before buying.

22 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. I'm strongly displeased with Civ6 or 2K's business model. I'll never buy it.

12 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. I'm waiting to hear more about it before I make my decision.

25 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. I'm feeling risky. I'll preorder it.

71 vote(s)
    28.4%
  8. I'm not trying to miss out. I'll preorder it if there's a preorder bonus.

46 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. Nikae

Nikae Chieftain

The joke is sadly on people who believed this was meant to be a poll. It is a manifest of bitterness over something. 'Evil -insert name here- that made the -insert name here- bad, and now it is not like I wanted it - so fanboys!'

As if 30 euros/dollars is such an astronomical amount anyway...

2. brewgod

brewgod Chieftain

Start using Bing search engine and get points which can be used for Amazon gift cards. I ended up getting Civ 6 for $25 dollars. Had $30 dollars in gift cards!

Brew God

3. Sitalkas

Sitalkas Chieftain

Offtopic starts here
    Actually Civ 6 costed 60 euros when it launched. Now, add all the DLCs, and the price of the expansion, and the DLCs that will come with the expansion.

Got it?

They think you are a cow and they want your milk.

Never again they will have mine, unless they change their business model.

Offtopic ends here!

4. Duckfromstatefarm

Duckfromstatefarm Chieftain

Just pre-ordered mine today.

5. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Slightly off-topic, but the steam winter sale is here, and no DLC are on sale. :sad: I was expecting that at least the first two would be discounted.

I'm annoyed enough that I may delay purchase of the expansion. On the other hand, if there's a discount on R&F (perhaps through Amazon prime), maybe I'll just buy it and keep waiting on the DLC to go on sale.

Guandao likes this.
  6. Duuk

Duuk 30 Year Noob

Thanks for the heads-up on Green Man Gaming. Pre-ordered.

7. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

I will be preordering it right after Christmas. Especially so as a modder. New expansions are a gold mine for modders.

8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Thought I would get it for Christmas, but I did not. I could buy it now, I originally intended to. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. To be honest, I like a little incentive for pre-ordering. While I can do so, I have plenty of money, there is no urgency to do so.

9. darko82

darko82 Chieftain

I won't be buying it unless the combat AI is fixed. If not, I will wait until mods can fix it. That's gonna take years, ehh.

10. Nikae

Nikae Chieftain

I know how much it cost at launch. The dlcs cost me nothing insofar, thanks to a simple early pre-order. If you refuse to buy the game, that is your choice, but please do not quote me to vent at 2k. I said 30 euros/bucks is a near insignificant sum, nothing else.

Duuk likes this.
  11. treadwin

treadwin Chieftain

I'm strongly divided. On one hand, I love civ and I desperately want the game to be playable, the way I enjoy playing it. On the other hand, I don't have a lot of faith that the expansion will fix what perceive to be flaws in the gameplay. There are so many things I hate about the game, even though I keep trying to play it, that I don't see how they can fix them all.

The main issue is that there is a real lack of decent strategy games about right now. It would be really nice if game developers would concentrate on gameplay rather than all the superficial bells and whistles.

So I will buy it if the expansion fixes:
    1. Map generation.
    2. Combat AI
    3. Warmongering (I hate being attacked, and then suffering an irrevocable warmongering penalty, because I defend myself, or being totally unable to raze that city that another civ built on top of my capital).
    4. Building to win the game. (Why bother?)
    5. Religion (Combat and victory in particular, but it is all worthless)
    6. Spying (tedious as hell but not quite as bad as religion)

But my bet is that I will not be buying the expansion.

12. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

I haven't bought the vanilla game of Civ 6 yet, so I want to wait for the expansion to be sold with the vanilla game, plus all the DLC that has come out in between, and I'll buy that. I am also hoping to see vassalage reintroduced into the game, like in Civ 4.

There are some things that could make me not buy the game. For instance, if they added Mao Zedong or Hitler as leaders in the game I would no longer want to buy it.

13. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Really? I find it strange to take such an extreme position on something like that. Especially Mao, who was a big part of China's modern history and shaped how China is today (even if they are moving away from Maoism, it's only because Mao existed in the first place to prove those economic policies don't work). China will soon be the world's superpower and economic power, while Mao's economic policies were failures, some of his vision is still present in modern China. What about Stalin? Do you feel the same way about him? Both Stalin and Mao were in Civilization 4, and I feel it's the better game because of it. I won't comment on Hitler, Hitler is Hitler.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  14. BackseatTyrant

BackseatTyrant Chieftain

I'll buy it when I can afford it

15. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

Yes, Stalin too, and Pol Pot, etc...There are a list of leaders like this who I would not want in the game, and I don't care to list every single one of them every time I talk about this kind of thing.
    Mao Zedong killed far more people than Hitler, Stalin, and Pol Pot combined...Close to 70 million people! I don't want to think about that every time I play a game I enjoy playing.
    Hitler killed some of my own relatives because they were Sinti, so it would be like playing a game where a Serial Killer who killed some of your family in real life was a character. I don't know about you, but couldn't do that. I would not buy the game if Hitler was in the game.

16. Timothy001

Timothy001 Chieftain

Back on topic:
    I just pre-ordered. Finally bought DLC 6 on Christmas, had a blast in my first 2 games. I even beat my high score ( I keep track in an excel spreadsheet, listing Who I won with, score, turns, and victory used, and patch #) using Gitjara, and a Military victory. I have 815 hrs into CiVI already, looking forward to many more.

17. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Pre-ordered it at a discounted price over the holidays. Civ 6 isn't perfect and there are issues I have with it but ultimately none that stop me from enjoying it, and the expansion sounds as though it's going to add some really interesting mechanics.

18. JtW

JtW Chieftain

It's the first Civ game/expac I will most likely not buy. I've been a Civ player since Civ I, and have enjoyed all versions up until Civ V. I have preordered Civ VI but it was such a huge letdown (mainly due to nonexistent AI) that I have given up on the game completely. As a matter of fact, I have only today decided to come to the forum to read about the expansion a bit and see what they're planning.

I'll likely pop by here in a few months and see what you guys have to say. But I'm not overly optimistic. The most likely scenario is that I will wait for the second expac to drop and then buy the whole package for the iPad - if I even buy it at all.