When you build your first settler in MP?

avl8

Prince
Subj!

I saw some good MP videos and there players build first settler very early, once capital gets 2nd citizen. Is it an option or a must-play?

Subj!

I saw some good MP videos and there players build first settler very early, once capital gets 2nd citizen. Is it an option or a must-play?

The reason behind is that you need 5-7 turns to get a worker and some more turns to get a total of hammers superior to 10(reaching 3-4 citizen). At 2 citizen you can build a settler between 7 and 9 hpt and ''lose'' only approx. 2 turns of build. But since that you build a settler 10ish turns faster, the 2nd city will have enough time to add lost hammers and overall growth overcome the ''losing'' deal.

When you do that you can expect settling a 2nd city as fast as the turn 15-18 which is faster than getting a free settler from Liberty. The mechanic favourise an early 2nd city since that you can stay happy enough before getting your first lux if you find at least 1 NW or simply settling on a lux tile. This also let you block a chunk of land if you spawn near another capital.

Of course, you might want to explore aggressively(start with 2 scouts) and try to get lucky with a worker bought if you reach 220 gold. You can also get a free citizen while building a settler too ;) But doing that way means that you have to let down Liberty in most cases. If you go Liberty i suggest to build at least a monument and start settlers only when you reach the free settler policy to get maximum benefits from that tree.

Yeah, I agree with Tab.
This option is viable only in two conditions:
1) you have enough happiness to provide growth for two cities at once
2) you need the second city ASAP to get hold of the city spot that enables to acquire some nice natural wonder or important strategical position before it's done by CS or any rival civ.

it depends on so many different things. if capital has 2 hills nearby in 1st circle settler with pop2 is build so fast that it would be a waste not do so (i do this in SP too btw!). you need in every social policy tree atleast a 2nd city (even tradition wants a food trade route ;) ) so i dont know why you should have a disadvantage happiness wise...

if you got 3 tiles away a mining luxury especially on a hill, i would highly suggest to expand there as fast as possible too.

these both cases imho would always be played best with a quick settler.

The reason behind is that you need 5-7 turns to get a worker and some more turns to get a total of hammers superior to 10(reaching 3-4 citizen). At 2 citizen you can build a settler between 7 and 9 hpt and ''lose'' only approx. 2 turns of build. But since that you build a settler 10ish turns faster, the 2nd city will have enough time to add lost hammers and overall growth overcome the ''losing'' deal.

When you do that you can expect settling a 2nd city as fast as the turn 15-18 which is faster than getting a free settler from Liberty. The mechanic favourise an early 2nd city since that you can stay happy enough before getting your first lux if you find at least 1 NW or simply settling on a lux tile. This also let you block a chunk of land if you spawn near another capital.

Of course, you might want to explore aggressively(start with 2 scouts) and try to get lucky with a worker bought if you reach 220 gold. You can also get a free citizen while building a settler too ;) But doing that way means that you have to let down Liberty in most cases. If you go Liberty i suggest to build at least a monument and start settlers only when you reach the free settler policy to get maximum benefits from that tree.

imho the better liberty opener is settler at pop 2 then monuments, but it depends as always on the land you got and if u find a ancient ruin with culture.

an early monument imho is more important for a 2 tier 1 policy tree game.

if going tradition soonest as u can produce settler in less than 10 turns, but always depend how map is look like. When u spown in center then u have to make 4 cities asap.

Thanks for your answers, guys!
I found it very quick and informative!

Is it a criteria/situation when you never start building settler at city lvl 2?

Top Bottom