When you lose your health care, remember who took it away

Don't misconstrue J's intention here. He's not misconstruing anything, he is consciously attempting to undermine the foundations of society as we know it.
True. I view society as a place where pay-as-you-go is normal and expected. That would completely undermine the society you "know".

It's the reason why you want healthcare paid for using taxes. Insurance, as you boil down into the idea, is the wrong model for providing healthcare services and for lowering its cost.

Your taxes should pay for OB/GYN services because (a) women are a huge component of the citizenry and (b) kids are the future.
This has validity, but it's a different question. The question here is why are we mandating the young/financially challenged to pay for the older/financially secure? It puts an extra burden on those less able to pay. This inverts the Democratic party norm, even though they voted it in.

J

Last edited:
True. I view society as a place where pay-as-you-go is normal and expected. That would completely undermine the society you "know".

So why not come right out and say it: you view society as a place where people who can't afford health care should just die.

They already sell much more dangerous things than heroin at the supermarket.

Such as?

I found that eight people died from drinking bleach in a single year, probably 2009 because this stat came from an article published in 2010. Meanwhile nearly 4,000 people died of heroin overdose in 2009. So yeah definitely sounds like bleach is more dangerous.

For-profit insurance is absolutely the correct model. You want your insurance company to share your interests.

How does a for profit insurance company share my interests? Especially for those who live by the Friedman quote.

The point of insurance is a collective risk pool. That's what all insurance is. I can guarantee you I will never be in a horrifying car crash.

A for-profit health insurance company's interests are exactly the opposite of the interests of the people being insured.

I found that eight people died from drinking bleach in a single year, probably 2009 because this stat came from an article published in 2010. Meanwhile nearly 4,000 people died of heroin overdose in 2009. So yeah definitely sounds like bleach is more dangerous.

I'd wager more people have died from knife attacks than from atomic weaponry. I don't think that makes knives more dangerous.

But really this is just semantics about different ways of categorising "danger".

How does a for profit insurance company share my interests? Especially for those who live by the Friedman quote.
You and your insurance company both share the interest of keeping you healthy. They want to do it as cheaply as possible too, otherwise a competitor will steal their business.

The point of insurance is a collective risk pool. That's what all insurance is. I can guarantee you I will never be in a horrifying car crash.
Yes, and when there is a 0% risk of something happening to you (ie. a single man using OB/GYN care) there's no reason to insure against it. Again, this is a corporate handout. The best possible deal for an insurance company is to sell insurance that they have a 0% chance of having to pay out, which is why that sort of thing can't survive in a free market.

Obviously if you're already in need of medical care there's no point insuring against it. You buy insurance when you're healthy.

Obviously if you're already in need of medical care there's no point insuring against it. You buy insurance when you're healthy.

So let's take my younger brother as an example, was born with a number of hormone and autoimmune conditions including celiac disease (where eating gluten destroys your body's ability to digest nutrients) and hereditary thyroid problems. He's never been "healthy" a day in his life. When should he buy insurance?

He shouldn't, at least not against those conditions. Your brother's beef is with the crony doctors and hospitals that have used the government to drastically drive up health care prices.

I suppose your solution is to get rid of medical licensing and completely deregulate the construction and administration of hospitals? I

Top Bottom