Where are ciV competitors?

Ermak-

Prince
I am thinking of migrating to other strategy games and was wondering if you guys can recommend soemthing. 'Shogun 2 -total war' is comming this spring so I go tthat on my radar. How about any other good strategy games? Hearts of Iron-3 look way too statistic oriented and mindnumbing.

Turn based strategy game better then Civ ?
Hmmm I don't think you will be successful in your search..

If you like turn based combat and 1upt you should really try Final Fantasy Tactics (it works on PC very well, with psx emulator)

You'd think that with all the passion here, there would be huge markets for TBS. Unfortunately....

BTW, "AI" and "Total War" don't really mix together :lol:.

Ok, definately not a turn based strategy but if you liked Diablo type games at all, Steam has a game on sale that I picked up this weekend called Torchlight which is an RPG and worth the $4.99. I'm having a lot of fun messing around in it.

Civ4 is also on steam for $6.24 for the complete game all expansions included. I have all of them but it is tempting to pick up just to not have to use discs anymore.

Guessing you already have Civ4 so this probably wasn't a very helpful answer but if you like RPG games at all Torchlight for $5 is a fun way to waste a few hours/days.

Just bought Civ 5 myself, and it's only OK... Apart from the 4x games set in space, I can't think of any other games like Civ, at least not in recent years. Looks like Sid holds the monopoly on this genre

If you like the turn based tactics games there's a load of RPGs that use the system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_role-playing_game

X-Com (the first one, and its recent clones), Shining Force series, Fire Emblem series and the Front Mission series are worth looking at

Hmmm I don't think you will be successful in your search..

If you like turn based combat and 1upt you should really try Final Fantasy Tactics (it works on PC very well, with psx emulator)

Ah, old FFT....easily one of the best and most consistently over-looked games ever made!

I am thinking of migrating to other strategy games and was wondering if you guys can recommend soemthing. 'Shogun 2 -total war' is comming this spring so I go tthat on my radar. How about any other good strategy games? Hearts of Iron-3 look way too statistic oriented and mindnumbing.

Probably the two closest competitors to Civ 5 in play style would be GalCiv II and Elemental: War of Magic. Both Stardock games.

I am more of age of empires kind of guy- those graph-games like Victoria and Hearts of Iron3 scare me.

Don't even ask "better than"...if there were at least some...

Probably the two closest competitors to Civ 5 in play style would be GalCiv II and Elemental: War of Magic. Both Stardock games.

Is Elemental finally in some playable state?

I am also spending more time playing Gal civ 2. I find the AI is very very good and overall it is an EXCELLENT 4X game. I am waiting (with baited breath) for Gal Civ 3 which will be sometime in 2015.

Don't even ask "better than"...if there were at least some...

Is Elemental finally in some playable state?

Dunno....have it and havent even loaded it up with the new patch (1.1). HUGE disappointment this one. Even if it is working perfectly the core game is just poor- Lack of ANY immagination, a dull colorless game that should have never been released. This is the best that they came up with after they lost the licence to MoM?? What a joke.

Firaxis people have always been really, really jealous of the Civ franchise. Apparently it is not even considered polite to mention 'Freeciv' around them, even although 'Freeciv' is basically just an open-source version of Civ2, a game released almost 15 years ago!

Dunno....have it and havent even loaded it up with the new patch (1.1). HUGE disappointment this one. Even if it is working perfectly the core game is just poor- Lack of ANY immagination, a dull colorless game that should have never be released. This is the best that they came up with after they lost the licence to MoM?? What a joke.

Stardock never had the licence to MoM

I think a lot of the hardcore civ4 guys have moved on to EU3 divine wind. It's a little more hardcore and deeper than civ 4 was, but once you get your head around some of the concepts and how the economy ect works its great.

If your leaving civV because of the lame A.I but still want the same basic easy to learn trainer wheels style game go for the total war series. Especially Napoleon Total War, it lacks depth but its a pretty fun game :)

Stardock never had the licence to MoM

True, but I know that they were trying to get it but Atari wouldnt release it. I should have written "This is the best that they came up with after they gave up trying to aquire the licence to MoM?

Whatever the case, how this game fell so far from the mark is beyond me... Biggest dissapointment in 2010. Just a bad game.

Top Bottom