Where are ciV competitors?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Ermak-, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Solo4114

Solo4114 Prince

How about Sword of the Stars? (Which I always mix up with Sins of a Solar Empire -- the names tend to blend together. Sins of the Master of Stars' Solar Sword Empire of Orion...or something)

Anyone try that?

For space games, I've been tempted by three lately:

- Sins of a Solar Empire
    - Sword of the Stars
    - GalCiv 2 (I played GalCiv1, liked it, but frequently got my ass kicked by the AI)

2. code9

code9 Warlord

GalCiv2 is great, I honestly recommend it.

3. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Grognard fantome

Check out Ageod's games. They are almost all turn-based strategy with fairly narrow historical subjects, e.g., Seven Years War and American Revolutionary War period, World War I, Russian Civil War.

4. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I am interested in Rise of Prussia.

That game looks pretty interesting. :)

5. Selous

Selous King

i would almost guarantee that you will like GalCiv2!! i used to play this game WAY to much!!

sins of a solar empire is a fun game if u want a bit of RTS action (battles can be real crazy when it is over a couple of the areas with ships warping in and out everywhere

never played sword of the stars ... looks cool ... anyone?

6. code9

code9 Warlord

Generally I also liked Hearts of Iron 3. The studio that made that game also makes a lot of other good games. I think one of them is Europa Universalis.

7. Aristarchus

Aristarchus Chieftain

Strong recommendations for the Total War games, especially Rome and Medieval II (I prefer the pre-gunpowder eras). Great mix of turn-based and realtime (and you can auto-resolve battles if you hate RT). Also those two are older titles so they'll run on older machines/laptops.

Sins of a Solar Empire is awesome. It's realtime, but the pace is so relaxed it plays like a TBS game. Can't say enough good things about Sins.

8. Thormodr

9. blind biker

blind biker King

I especially like the mechanics of the game. No more learning complicated shortcuts or navigating involved and counter-intuitive menus and GUI.

Actually, I must admit I had a good 5 minutes of fun with that game.

10. blind biker

blind biker King

Here is a possible Civ V competitor (it has 1UpT) but with a decent AI, for a change :D
    The Many Faces of Go

11. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Grognard fantome

Rise of Prussia is a great game. It is not particularly easy! One of those rare games that manages to actually convey the FEELING of 18th century warfare. Winter MUST be planned for. Recruits and replacements are critical. Capturing strategic points and then distributing forces so as to hold absolutely critical to the game. Prior to 5, I always enjoyed the Civ games. But compared to RoP, Civ is a paint spill simulator: click, click, click, it is just inevitable that any 8 year old will manage to build a gradually sprawling empire. A game like RoP is not like that at all. Most likely you will lose, despite the fact that your "opponent" is a computer algorithm. Achieving what Frederick pulled off is not easy.

12. Thormodr

Thanks for that. It does look intriguing. I'll read more up on it and check out their forums for awhile. It looks very promising for a war game. :)

13. raindog

raindog Chieftain

I played first Medieval Total War. Never once played the battles - let the computer resolve them. It was an OK TBS game.

Back to the original question...

The real competitor for Civ is...MASTER OF ORION :)

Seriously, the first MoO and Civ go hand-in-hand in my mind as great TBS games. I would give the edge to Civ no doubt as the gameplay is richer, but the first MoO was very good.

Unfortunately, MoO II and MoO III were atrocious and the franchise is dead.

If the original poster never played it, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is fun, but keep in mind it's very similar to Civ for obvious reasons.

14. Iranon

Iranon Deity Whipping Boy

If you value 'anything goes' over beauty and sophistication, there's always your MoM.

15. Thormodr

MoM is still awesome after all these years. :D

Also loving Age of Wonders II: Shadow Magic. I played Age of Wonders I and II to death but I never played Age of Wonders II: Shadow Magic, the expansion pack.

Age of Wonders I and II were made based upon the original classic MoM.

If anyone is interested, here are some game play videos of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeNvM0l3VEg&feature=related

and the trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEPUrHYNDMQ&feature=related

I'd like to thank Civilization 5 for helping me get reacquainted with these classic games again. :D

16. Solo4114

Solo4114 Prince

I liked MOO2, but never tried 3. I still prefer the feel of MOO1 even though the game's a bit more simplistic and the graphics and such aren't quite as good.

for what it's worth, Good old Games has MOO1 and 2 available for, like, $6.

17. cman2010

cman2010 King

these are great suggestions guys keep them coming.

18. Gnollen

Gnollen Chieftain

I played GalCiv2 vanilla years ago. Do you know if the expansions add much to the game or change it significantly? I thought about revisiting that game...

19. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

The second expansion, Twilight, adds a lot to the game and I would recommend it.

20. Selous

Selous King

total change, each civ is unique, new galactic objests such as asteroid belts and many other features, i was pretty blowen away when i played them