Where are the actual ingame discussions?

Chieftess

Retired Moderator
I think we've all been arguing and discussing laws a little TOO much. I just took a look at the top 15 threads (the most recent replies in this subforum), and here's what I found:

In the top 15 latest threads...
165 legal debate replies
16 recent gameplay related replies (47 if you include the old "Attack Russia?" thread).

The legal (debates, reviews, etc.) posts outnumber the actual discussion 10 to 1! That's hideous!!! For a forum where the citizens are supposed to be deciding what should happen next in the game, it sure doesn't look like it.

The "Settlement Locations" thread, what we really should be looking at, is mired in thread #19 (between 5 other legal type threads). Even that thread discussion has been voted on. The discussion about the CURRENT city situation is non-existant. The settler is almost in place to be built, and there's no new settlement location threads.

Also, where's the thread for defining provinces? I don't see one yet. Sure, it's the end of the term, but that doesn't mean discussion should stop. Not when there's ONE MORE turnchat this term!

I tried to start a discussion on how to approach Russia and Babylon. Both FA and Military should be doing that, for both future relations, and possible exapansion/defense.

I don't see any recent exploration threads on where/what to explore next.

The yellow civ is also going to expand in 3 turns, and we don't even have a unit CLOSE to them! There's no discussion on that, either.

IMHO, the game needs a big change. And right now to few are willing to change it.

Originally posted by Strider
IMHO, the game needs a big change. And right now to few are willing to change it.

Well Strider, if you want to propose that we scrap the CoL and CoS and just go with our constitution then I'll second ya. We need to either get rid of the lower books or fix them. (And, YES, alot needs fixing.)

@CT: It's the same old same old. CivGeneral has (to his credit) been prompting most of the discussion on exploration. There is a thread about provincial borders but there seems to be no desire to fix any borders until we've explored ad infinitum despite the fact that our laws call for us to create provinces well ahead of expansion. But we've never been able to do that.

I made a thread about slider settings that gets used rarely.

I thought there was a new thread about classifying cities as to their function (settler factory, miltary recruit depot, etc.).

As for legal debates, I think most of the replies you speak of are in the *riot* thread you started. I tried in that thread to get a discussion going about how we should handle riots in the future (entertainers or lux slider) but last I knew I only got a response from Cyc - who said there was no problem because DaveShack had posted proper instrucitons to prevent the last riot.

When it gets to the point where the DP does not know the rules, has to ask for rule clarifications during the chat, is is more concerned with *smothering* CCs than anything else then it is clear we've reached the point where we have too many rules.

Originally posted by donsig

Well Strider, if you want to propose that we scrap the CoL and CoS and just go with our constitution then I'll second ya. We need to either get rid of the lower books or fix them. (And, YES, alot needs fixing.)

@CT: It's the same old same old. CivGeneral has (to his credit) been prompting most of the discussion on exploration. There is a thread about provincial borders but there seems to be no desire to fix any borders until we've explored ad infinitum despite the fact that our laws call for us to create provinces well ahead of expansion. But we've never been able to do that.

I made a thread about slider settings that gets used rarely.

I thought there was a new thread about classifying cities as to their function (settler factory, miltary recruit depot, etc.).

As for legal debates, I think most of the replies you speak of are in the *riot* thread you started. I tried in that thread to get a discussion going about how we should handle riots in the future (entertainers or lux slider) but last I knew I only got a response from Cyc - who said there was no problem because DaveShack had posted proper instrucitons to prevent the last riot.

When it gets to the point where the DP does not know the rules, has to ask for rule clarifications during the chat, is is more concerned with *smothering* CCs than anything else then it is clear we've reached the point where we have too many rules.

I would say scrap it all, though it might be easier. There is quite a few laws in the CoL and CoS that goes against eachother. One says one thing and the other says something differant. That needs to be changed.

I would say scrap it all, though it might be easier. There is quite a few laws in the CoL and CoS that goes against eachother. One says one thing and the other says something differant. That needs to be changed.

Care to point them out so they can be fixed?

If all but a very few citizens wish to see the CoL and CoS scrapped, so be it. You will not, however, remove the constitution and start over midgame.

Originally posted by eyrei

Care to point them out so they can be fixed?

If all but a very few citizens wish to see the CoL and CoS scrapped, so be it. You will not, however, remove the constitution and start over midgame.

Typo above, meant to say "I wouldn't say scrap it all" heh.

Anyway, I would, but I don't have the time to do so. I've been constantly running back and forth between the hospital for the past two days. When I have a good amount of stable time infront of me, I'll make a thread over it.

Look at this, we have a thread specifically on discussing in-game issues, and within a couple of posts it degenerates into a rules discussion! :wallbash:

I was thinking about starting the exact same thread. We've had some real discussions, such as the ones on settlement locations and provincial borders, but nowhere near enough. We're stuck in the middle of no-man's land and need to get cracking on grabbing a lot of better land, or it will be an uphill struggle to even win the actual game.

yeah, donsig, strider and eyrei, don't make me warn you for threadjacking my thread. :p

Originally posted by DaveShack
Look at this, we have a thread specifically on discussing in-game issues, and within a couple of posts it degenerates into a rules discussion! :wallbash:

I was thinking about starting the exact same thread. We've had some real discussions, such as the ones on settlement locations and provincial borders, but nowhere near enough. We're stuck in the middle of no-man's land and need to get cracking on grabbing a lot of better land, or it will be an uphill struggle to even win the actual game.

I've got about 5 minutes left on the forum, as this is kind of a switch of terms, I'll try to post as many threads as can think of to help us out. Then I've HAVE to eat and head back to the hospital.

Originally posted by DaveShack

This thread was not meant to be a discussion thread about game issues. It's another thread along the lines of the *riot* thread. Rather than ranting that this or that happened or this or that isn't being done would it not make more sence to open a discussion thread on an actual game topic?

Better yet, how about posting some game information for us to see so we can talk about what's going on. Not everyone can always download the save and look at it. I'm at my brother's down in North Carolina and he doesn't own Civ III so I can't look at the save now. The highlight of the President's latest summary is that he ignored the Senate's slider instructions. I can look at the Three Books but where's there a copy of our current map?

I guess I'll talk about the rules...

Originally posted by Chieftess
yeah, donsig, strider and eyrei, don't make me warn you for threadjacking my thread. :p

Just what is the point of this thread CT?

This thread was not meant to be a discussion thread about game issues. It's another thread along the lines of the *riot* thread. Rather than ranting that this or that happened or this or that isn't being done would it not make more sence to open a discussion thread on an actual game topic?

Better yet, how about posting some game information for us to see so we can talk about what's going on. Not everyone can always download the save and look at it. I'm at my brother's down in North Carolina and he doesn't own Civ III so I can't look at the save now. The highlight of the President's latest summary is that he ignored the Senate's slider instructions. I can look at the Three Books but where's there a copy of our current map?

I guess I'll talk about the rules...

Screenshots thread. Stickied. First forum. (not any of the sub-forums) for current maps. (instructions for dummies.... and no I'm not calling you a dummy)

It was more of a notice how there's so little in-game discussion, and too much legal discussion. It had nothing to do with the riot thread. (although... the ingame riot was rather symbolic, ironically...)

Screenshots thread. Stickied. First forum. (not any of the sub-forums) for current maps. (instructions for dummies.... and no I'm not calling you a dummy)

Thank you! Any place else I should look to find in game stuff? Any shots of the advisor screens? How about the city screens? Anything that tells me where the iron city will be founded?

This stuff should be easy to find even for us dummies! ;)

Thank you! Any place else I should look to find in game stuff? Any shots of the advisor screens? How about the city screens? Anything that tells me where the iron city will be founded?

I'm guessing (not sure) that it'll be founded to the immediant east of the iron source.

I chuckle at the idea that we are spending too much time on rules, and yet here we have lengthy lists of rules to be added to support turn chats. Others would scrap the CoL and CoS, but they currently use the JR outlined in those books to pursue their own agendas on previously resolved issues.

I guess it is really all about the rules you care about. Not really the rules in general. Myself included.

The domestic and culture advisor screens are now current in the IA Ministry thread.

A proposal for locating the iron city (and 3 others) has been added to the
Settlement Locations thread.

i don't understand why we have all this debate about rules, COS and COL and so on. And not nearly the same amount of discussion about the game itself. sometimes i think we've lost the objective of having a demo game.

btw, is there any thread were a short history of ingame events is recorded?

Originally posted by dreiche2
btw, is there any thread were a short history of ingame events is recorded?

No, but there should be a summary in the T/C instruction threads.

Also, no I'm not going to just tell you this an let you search for yourself ;):

Creation
2nd Chat
3rd Chat
4th Chat
5th Chat
6th Chat
7th Chat

There should be a summary by Rik Meelet close to the end of each of those threads.

Top Bottom