1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Where are the natural disasters?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by WarlordMatt, Jul 14, 2002.

?

Do you think there should be natural disasters in Civ III?

1. Yes, that would be cool!

23 vote(s)
    62.2%
  2. No, it'd just mess up the game even more.

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. I don't know/don't care

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. WarlordMatt

WarlordMatt Emperor

Shouldn't there be some natural disasters in Civ III? Like volcano eruptions, city-destroying tornadoes, floods, tsunamis, and asteroids. Because I would just love to see Babylon get pounded into the dirt by a huge meteorite. :D

2. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

Yea, like SMACx, there out to be some random events afflicting the multitudes.

3. marshal zhukov

marshal zhukov good economist wannabe

Yeah, there should be some Disasters.
    There is war ,so what it is the problem with random tornados
    Tornados - would destroy land improvements.
    Earthquakes - would destroy city improvements.
    Meteorites - are a bit unrealistic, since nobody has ever died of a fallen meteor, and besides the 6.000 years span of the game are too short for any meteor cicle.
    Volcanos - would after a while make the land more fertile

4. Zouave

Zouave Crusader

DISASTERS?? I consider Culture Flipping, Settler Diarrhea, massive corruptions, etc, quite enough. :D

5. Chris85

Chris85 Emperor

It would definitely make the game more realistic and add some more challenge, I think it would be a great idea. :goodjob:

6. Richard III

Richard III Duke of Gloucester

Provided it's not of the boring "disease strikes city x, 4 pop lost" type, which is pretty unspectactular. Quakes would be cool - they've played a hell of a key role in history.

R.III

7. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Estimates of meteor strike rates are notoriously uncertain, but according to one the Earth is hit by an object causing a blast the strength of of the Hiroshima bomb about every 100 years (yes, that's once per century). Now, most strike the sea, usually far from any shore, and the rest tend to end up in very thinly populated areas as the ratio of densely populated land to total land area is very low, but if a such object struck a city, well, you know what happened to Hiroshima.

I thought the disasters in SMAC were pretty good. Well, truth to be told, the volcanic eruptions and earthquakes were quite a bit over the top, but crop failure, the epidemics etc provided a nice piece of spice and uncertainty for the game.

8. Dinorius R.

Dinorius R. Somnambulist

The unexpected formation of some new land or an island through vulcanism would be interesting for game play. Imagine the land-rush. It might even tip the balance of power in a finely balanced game.

9. Sabotage

Sabotage Wehrmacht Commandant

I liked the way diseses and epidemics were handled in CTP. All cities trading with an infected city had a chance to get infected aswell...I once infected an entire civ through just one city.

10. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

Frankly I don't miss them. But then, it would be difficult to program them so they wouldn't totally unbalance the game.

11. bobgote

bobgote Trousers

Yeah we need more random destruction. Oh look! My city has been struck by a flood and my work on the PYRAMIDS has been washed away. Sounds like a real good idea.

12. col

col Old Fart Retired Moderator

As long as they only happen to someone else.

I HATE it in MOO2 when I get targetted more often than anyone else by RANDOm events...

13. Myartar

Myartar Yeah, I'm back

No, sir! No "Random events"!!! Can you imagine all the threads about how the AI never gets hit or the events hit at the worst times? There is enough for people to complain about, don't need to add more.

14. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

If natural disasters are included in Civ IV, presumeably they'd go the SMAC way and include the option to disable 'em.

15. uknemesis

uknemesis The Nemesis

No natural disasters please! Cause I would just love building a huge army ready to destroy Germany only to have it blown away by a tornado or something! Now that would really just p*ss me right off lol.

Something less random though, like terrorism may have it's place. I mean, if I lost my palace to a terrorist bomb I would be very very mad, mad enough to completely destroy the little b*stard who sent them to attack me. Not sure whether that would be quite appropriate at the moment though.

Another option is the resistors when you take an enemy city. Why don't they do more, instead of just rebelling or destroying things due to the mob?

How about planned bombing attacks on your troops etc, things that don't automatically make the city switch sides, but lets you know there's trouble brewing.

And then give us the option to declare martial law(if you ask me there aren't enough options in Civ3 to be a nasty ruler, you have to be all sweet to your people. Well they flip to an enemy city, when I get them back I'll give them hell!).

Nemesis

16. Myartar

Myartar Yeah, I'm back

I'm all for that! I'm mad they took out the destroy improvment and poison water supply spy missions. There have thier uses and would help alot in weakening a metropolis, hurting an enemy w/o war, and just for being an arse. Terrorists have been staging attacks for hundreds of years(maybe thousands?), just b/c we in the US get hit and get hit hard is no reason to take an element out of a game, IMHO.

17. Portuguese

Portuguese Vassalising Spain

More confusion and random events too make deity more crazy and chieftain more simple. No way!

And it would...
    ... sloooooooooown doooooooown the game
    ... and make the AI and programming a mess (even more!!!)

So, please noooooooooooooo!!!

18. Chris_b_89

Chris_b_89 Chieftain

I voted a big no on this one. I don't like random events. I also have a feeling that many of those who say they want them now would complain about them if they were included.

19. Portuguese

Portuguese Vassalising Spain

No doubt about that.

Programming them should be very difficult, random should get some very strange and unbalancing results now and then and the result would be the same as culture flipping:
    Good idea, great mess up in real terms!!!

20. skaternate

skaternate The Fuzz

no