1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Where are the religious civs?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Cobalt_Blue, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Cobalt_Blue

Cobalt_Blue Chieftain

I've been really looking forward to the new religious victory and the associate systems, but they've shown so little and the civs so far don't seem to provide much help in achieving that victory.

I put together a (very) rough table of what kind of bonues each civ is receiving so far.

Code:
    name    |def mil|off mil|gold|amen|wond|resrch|infra|cult|faith|diplo|grt ppl|multiuse
    --------|-------|-------|----|----|----|------|-----|----|-----|-----|-------|--------
    Murica  |   X   |       |    |    |    |      |     | X  |     |     |       |   X
    Aztec   |       |   X   |    |  X |    |      |  X  |    |  X  |     |       |  
    Brazil  |       |       |    |  X |    |      |     |    |     |     |   X   |   X
    China   |   X   |       |    |    |    |  X   |  X  |    |     |     |       |  
    Egypt   |       |       |  X |    |  X |      |     | X  |  X  |  X  |       |  
    England |       |   X   |  X |    |    |      |     | X  |     |     |       |  
    France  |       |       |  X |    |  X |      |     | X  |     |  X  |       |  
    Germany |   X   |       |    |    |    |      |  X  |    |     |     |       |   X
    Japan   |   X   |   ?   |    |    |    |      |  X  | X  |     |     |       |  
    Scythia |       |  XXX  |  X |    |    |      |     |    |  X  |     |       |  

You can see there are only three with faith bonuses, which are all unique buildings or improvements that add like 1 faith per or something. This does not seem like enough to secure a religious victory. EDIT: Brazil can also get bonuses from rainforest.

Beyond that there are NO bonuses revealed thus far which seem to help that victory type.

(Side note: Research also has only one civ atm, but research can be sped by a LOT of factors, including infrastructure, production, wonders, happiness, gold, etc, etc, etc, so I'm not as worried on that front)

So maybe all the religious civs are yet to come? Surely Kongo will have some religious bonus, perhaps Saladin? Probably Spain? But is that it for religion? Given that there are no really significant bonuses thus far?

What do you all thinK?

2. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

We think the religion details were revealed not so long ago. Religious civs are yet to come.

3. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Yeah, it's way too early to say so. We've only seen half the Civs, and religion has only just been revealed. Given that Religious Victories are now a thing, there will certainly be civs that have bonuses leaning towards that side of things.

Plus thematically, it would be a surprise not to have faith- and religion-based abilities for Spain, Arabia and the Kongo. Especially with Saladin in game, and religious wars as a feature, I would say it's a safe bet that he has a leader ability that is something to do with holy wars.

4. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

I assume India, Arabia and Summeria may have a religious focus. Of those that do not seem to be in the list leaked yesterday but were in the leader portrait (and thus may be in early DLCs), I wouldnt be surprised if Isabella and Jadwiga were religious too.

5. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Yes, of course, I had forgotten about India! The birthplace of many modern religions would simply have to have a bonus towards founding and spreading their own in game.

6. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

Also, what about Egypt?

Between their bonus to early wonders (many of whom are likely to have some sort of a religion bonus), their sphinx special building which gives faith, and their tendency to focus on trade routes (including, being a good target for others to send trade routes to) - and assuming, like in CiV, trade routes help spreading a religion - they actually seem like well disposed towards a religious headstart.

Edit: and Brazil's great people focus is another potential "hidden" bonus to starting a religion, imho, as it allows you to grab that Great Prophet early.

All in all, unlike CiV, CivVI does not seem to aim to create civilizations with a clear specialty, rather allowing them to compete for any type of victory - so I think it is unlikely we will see a direct bonus to starting or spreading a religion.

Edit 2: At the same time, the game is likely to give you a bit of a challenge in deciding if you want an early religious start - remember that to do so, you need to build a holy site - and that means you cannot build another type of a district you could need - such as a campus. (Which, incidentally, means that Germany may also have a hidden advantage with their Imperial City ability).

7. Homusubi

Homusubi Lafcadio Hearn Wannabe

Remember that, if I recall correctly, only one civ in Civ 5 had diplomatic victory related bonuses.

Anyway, Spain could be religion-orientated, but then again, it could not, especially seeing as the other "explorer" Euro civ will not be represented.

8. Denkt

Denkt Left permamently

I think Kongo may be a heavy religious civ.

9. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

Buy they just adopted another civs religion, but maybe that is their bonus?

10. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

Kongo, Arabia, India and Spain should all have faith or religion bonuses. Spain could get better missionaries and a inquisitors for example

11. Gabriel Sergio

Gabriel Sergio Warlord

Georgia, Arabia, Kongo and of course Tokimune's Japan.

12. Valmighty

Valmighty Warlord

Faith is a very powerful "resource". And if religious victory comes early, it will be imba to give them more faith based bonuses. Especially when you can multiply the bonus with civic. So IMO those bonuses are enough.

13. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

Spain and India, both seem like likely candidates for religion-focused civs. Hopefully they'll take that focus in different directions, perhaps with India rewarding pluralism and Spain religious conquest.

14. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

Yup. As I said, I think Egypt is very well placed for a religious victory, and certain bonuses both Brazil and Germany are getting can also make it easier to do so.

People who complain about there being no bigger faith bonuses should remember that faith is quite powerful - you can use it to buy great people, for example.

15. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I guess they are holding off on the bigger religious players until they reveal how the religious victory works, we can expect Arabia, India and Spain to have a heavy religious focus.

16. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

Brazil and Scythia are religious Civs, albeit indirectly.

17. Lordkhan II.

Lordkhan II. Chieftain

Well, some will have of course a way to produce extra faith. But didnt Ed say there was just a single civ which is faith based.

I think Saladin will have a faith based UA.

18. jsciv69

jsciv69 Warlord

I do find it odd to have a religious victory as a concept with only two Civs from the Middle East. This is the area that gave rise to three of the world's major faiths. The fact that Persia and Babylon have been excluded is cause for wonder. That Jerusalem is featured as merely a city-state is also very curious if religious victories are to be in the game.

19. Sufyan

Sufyan Chieftain

You misjudge the size of Judaism if you count it among the "world's major faiths". Over half of all humans alive are Christians (2.2 billion) or Muslims (1.6 billion) and thus belong to religions native to what you call the Middle East, and another 20% of humanity belong to Indian religions. Together, just four religions (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism) account for basically all religious life on Earth.
    Judaism isn't even in the top ten.

Also, Jerusalem can play a very big role in a religious victory. If your vassal, it automatically converts to the religion you founded, and exerts pressure for that religion as a second Holy City.

20. MIS

MIS Prince

Well Christianity and Islam come from Judaism. I was surprised when a theology student told me Judaism was a major religion. I think Judaism would be top-10 in influence. 70% of Nobel prize winners were Jewish.

According to a recent study (based on the 2010 world population of 6.9 billion) by The Pew Forum, there are:

2,173,180,000 Christians (31% of world population), of which 50% are Catholic, 37% Protestant, 12% Orthodox, and 1% other.
    1,598,510,000 Muslims (23%), of which 87-90% are Sunnis, 10-13% Shia.
    1,126,500,000 No Religion affiliation (16%): atheists, agnostics and people who do not identify with any particular religion. One-in-five people (20%) in the United States are religiously unaffiliated.
    1,033,080,000 Hindus (15%), the overwhelming majority (94%) of which live in India.
    487,540,000 Buddhists (7%), of which half live in China.
    405,120,000 Folk Religionists (6%): faiths that are closely associated with a particular group of people, ethnicity or tribe.
    58,110,000 Other Religions (1%): Baha’i faith, Taoism, Jainism, Shintoism, Sikhism, Tenrikyo, Wicca, Zoroastrianism and many others.
    13,850,000 Jews (0.2%), four-fifths of which live in two countries: United States (41%) and Israel (41%).