Where Are the Wide Empires in BE?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by DarkestOnion, Sep 13, 2014.

1. rastak

rastak Emperor

I almost never go above 4 no matter what size the map is. Puppets excluded.

2. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Biowells are actually under Bionics. I had misidentified them as being under Alien Ecology.

3. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

that doesn't mean the land didn't exist for more, which is the point.

4. NASAROG

NASAROG Prince

I don't always want to play wide because of city spam.

5. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

The real question here is; Will there be Large and/or Huge maps in CivBE? If so, why? With only 8 civs it will be like a wasteland OR 8 civs with ridiculous amounts of cities. Civ 5 didnt cater well to wide empires, so playing a Large or Huge map on CivBE will probably be "hard mode"?

The reason I use "?" alot is because I know you playtest the game and probably know more than me. :)

6. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

CivV didn't cater to wide empires early. Late, they were fine. (Especially with puppets)

CivBE is probably the same
    With Eudamonia, 10 Prosperity Virtues, Health from trade units, Artists/Aristocrats, and Genetics tech
    -3 health per city (from -4)
    1 health prosperity
    1 health trade routes
    1 health Art/Aris
    2 health Clinic+quest
    2 health Pharmalab
    1 health Cytonursery

Net 5 health per city (enough for 8 pop with Eudamonia and Community Health..assuming 1health/pop normal cost)
    Then add in the Memewebs and Networked Datalinks for better science/virtues and you are good.
    However that is
    10 Prosperity Virtues
    7 Knowledge Virtues
    4 Industry Virtues

And a specific citizen.

7. OldEarthRelic

OldEarthRelic Warlord

Please can someone explain the difference between REX and Wide? Does REX mean I build the cities myself, wide mean I take them from others? On CivV (at least Deity), the space goes pretty quickly

8. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

REX... You get your first few cities very fast (to get the best spots) built yourself
    Wide... You get a lot of total cities (in whatever way)
    ICS... You pack your cities as close as possible

So you could have
    Tall REX (get 2-3 new cities very fast)
    Wide REX (get 5-7 new cities very fast)
    Mid/Late Wide (settle empty spaces/conquer a lot of cities)

REX is hurt in BE due to
    Native wildlife
    Time for outposts to become cities
    Need for building health instead of resource health

Of course those all make REX harder, but they make it less necessary (big reason for REX is the to get the good spots before other players... If it is hard for anyone to get good spots, you can still get them late in the game.

9. OldEarthRelic

OldEarthRelic Warlord

So my normal BNW play style (get my 4 cities ASAP) would be Tall, and REX (I could call it T-REX!)

10. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Don't necessarily buy into idea that BE will focus on "tiny" maps: the game menu in the preview streams I've seen clearly shows at least one size larger than Standard, i.e. "Massive." The selections are Random, Duel, Dwarf, Small, Standard, Massive. Given this is from a pre-release build, the final game may have more to choose from.

11. DarkestOnion

DarkestOnion Prince

I think that the unique Alien Wildlife in Civ:BE will fill up a Huge Map fairly well.

12. Karl0413

Karl0413 Prince

Watch the Seeded Start Stream:

Link to video.

Scroll to about 28:45. They show the map sizes in the advanced drop-down setup: Duel, Dwarf, Small, Standard, Massive. I would say Standard is the same size as Civ V's Standard, just a guess. Massive is either Civ V Large or Huge (probably large).

* Edit: just realized gunnergoz answered this already. Sorry for the redundancy.

13. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Thanks for doing the hard part I was too lazy to post myself:goodjob:. :D

14. Callonia

Callonia Deity

I hope massive isn't simply large, because i tried out large, it was way too tiny compared to huge map on civ 5.

15. Acken

Acken Deity

Don't forget stations take less space than city states, so we should feel we have more room than civ5 on an equal sized map.

16. Karl0413

Karl0413 Prince

This is true, no more having to bribe them for luxuries and strategic resources. No more hogging the best territory (people wonder why I play Genghis sometimes despite being more of a builder, that's why).

17. swordoflight86

swordoflight86 Warlord

It seemed like I would always be hemmed in by city states, with absolutely no room to expand without having to have my cities stretched hither and yon across the map.

18. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

No city states and no luxuries are two huge things I'm looking forward to with this game. I hated how settlement spots were almost dictated by unique luxury locations.

19. Chemical Toilet

Chemical Toilet Chieftain

The demos where they invited streamers to come play only allowed them 100 turns. How many cities can you plop down in 100 turns in Civ 5? 2-3 seems about average to me. (You could do 4 or 5 I suppose, but you're risking putting back national college by a significant amount of time.)

The events where they showcased "mid-to-late game play" did actually show pretty wide empires if you cared to look at the mini map up in the corner of the screen. They just never scrolled over the entire map because they wanted to show us specific units, specific features, and specific combat.

20. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

Plopping down the NC is not a goal in off itself. If you need to compete for prime city locations, delaying NC may be well worth it.

For example, last night I played multiplayer with a friend who has a really fast NC. He out-teched me for quite some time, but after I finally had universities up and running my beakers were catching up really far, to the point where I was well in the lead by the Renaissance. Overall I cruised to an easy win.