1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Where Can I Play

Discussion in 'Chess' started by seanwel, Jul 18, 2002.

1. seanwel

seanwel Emperor

Hello - I greatly enjoy the game of chess and playing against new opponents. Where do you guys play?

2. seanwel

seanwel Emperor

Wow - I just realized the game is played through the forums using algebraic/standard notation. I am assuming that it is not blindfold chess, and that the pieces can be set up on a chess board to visualize the game. Is this assumption correct?

3. AVN

AVN Deity

Your assumption is correct, you may use a board. It's also allowed to try out several variations on the board, before you actually move.

4. Smash

Smash Super Lurker Retired Moderator

Its modern day postal chess.You can use anything except chess programs to make your moves.Consulting your neighbor the GM might also be frowned upon ;)

5. AVN

AVN Deity

Smash.

Is the use of opening books or databases or general internet information allowed ?
    (BTW at the moment I don't use them)

6. Smash

Smash Super Lurker Retired Moderator

Yes absolutely.This format encourages the player to play less explored openings.The ones that show up in opening books as "archives" or unclear,obscure stuff.