1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Where did I go wrong (newbie)?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by eobet, Jan 20, 2011.

1. nebux

nebux Chieftain

why are most of your cottages build on plains instead of grassland? moscow could really use some good cottages on grassland. 2 food and commerce it's better that 1 food 1 hammer and commerce. also they are food neutral when build on grassland so you can grow more

2. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Okay huge maps are normally a bad idea but Lymond has already stated this. Basically the Ai will over expand. As this map appears to be terra it will mea they are limited to expanding somewhat. The fact most have 10+ cities shows the problem.

Overall as you are playing noble it will still make this at best a Prince level game.

As others have stated why are you cottaging plains ahead of grassland? 1 less food per tile. Your capital is a crying shame. You cottaged 5 plains instead of the 5 grassland! That is 5 food a turn you are losing! The same applies for cottaging grassland ahead of grassland on rivers.

Ackkk the whole world is at war or planing for one. If this was not noble I would be worried. I would still expect a stack from romans.

Oh you can trade maps. Why have you not done so?

Best way to win from here??? Hmmm AP? Cultural win? Probably the easiest. Domination will take a long time on a huge map but I don't doubt you will have a huge tech advantage with these settings. oxford uni is nearly built too.

Overall play smaller maps and try and player higher levels like monarch. You will never really get a proper challenge on noble as you find it too easy really.

3. eobet

eobet Chieftain

Hmm... am I missing something?

When I started this game, I'm pretty sure I chose Earth 2 and Prince level...

I did not know about the cottages, however, so thanks for that! I thought farms were for food, and every other building should maximize hammers or gold... I've yet unlocked what's necessary to grow my cities larger from here too. Some are very close to both happiness and health limits.

EDIT: Something weird happened... I had The Oracle and Haga Sophia in one of my cities, and I built the Oxford University in it... when it was completed, there was no wonder animation, and it says "can only build two wonders per city", yet it's clearly there. Is it an old bug that never got fixed? :(

4. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

National wonders are restricted to 2 per city.

Yes normally I use resources like fish/rice for food. if I hav elots of grassland I will irrigate a few grassland to grow city and cottage the land later once a decent size.

5. eobet

eobet Chieftain

I just realized that I actually have FOUR wonders in the same city (St Petersburg). Why did the game allow me to do that??? Did I just waste two wonders? How can this not be a bug?

Attached Files:

6. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

Your city has 2 great wonders and 2 national wonders. The limit of 2 only applies to national wonders, you can have as many great ones as you can build.

Also note that while the Palace in your capital is technically a national wonder, it doesn't count against your limit of 2 in that city.

7. eobet

eobet Chieftain

Oh, thanks! I didn't notice the distinction.

I was planning on invading a country, but another has made it a vassal state. Is there any way to break that?

8. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Attack the Master and weaken him until the vassal breaks away. Just be prepared to fight on 2 fronts. The vassal will probably be much weaker though. Send your main force to the master and have a secondary force defend in your borders against the vassal - unless you have a big enough army to take both on.

9. eobet

eobet Chieftain

Haha, riiight... the master will kick my ass. All I wanted was to nab two very close cities which I planned to settle but was too late for (and I tried to bargain for them, but no deal... even when I had the liberation option).

Should I cheat and reload a few turns back to get my invasion on? I realized I did other stupid things in this game as well, like building aqueducts instead of groceries for the health (I had wine).

Will the automatically break vassalage when they change civics, though? I could wait for that, even if it takes a hundred years or so...

10. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

If you really want to settle those cities it's pretty easy to get out settlers fast when neede - it's called the whip. AIs giving you cities in a trade negotion is pretty limited - it never even crosses my mind.

Hard to say without seeing your game. Reloading is generally frowned upon but it's okay for learning purposes. However, how is a few turns going to get your invasion on? Why can't you just start ramping up now? I can't say what is best though withough being able to analyze the situation. Maybe the Master is not as scary as he seems.

Grocers may be a better choice than aqueducts at times, but ask yourself if the health is really needed at the moment. If your cities are productive and you have an agenda, use those hammers instead to meet that agenda - such as units to go kick some azz. In other words, don't overbuild - it's a major newb mistake.

I really don't know what you are saying here. Changing civics has nothing to do with vassalage agreements. Seems like your making up stuff as you go along :)

11. eobet

eobet Chieftain

Sorry, what I meant was, to take on vassal states, or to become a vassal state, you have to employ the vassal civic, right? I suspect from your answer, that I'm probably wrong, and perhaps once a vassal state have submitted to being it, either nations can freely switch civics without loosing it?

12. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

The language chosen in game design was probably poor. The civic vassalage has NO relation to taking vassals. Civics have NO effect on whether a Civ becomes a vassal or takes a vassal. In the war academy is an article explaining the vassal mechanics in detail.

After a Civ has teched Feudalism, it can take a vassal state. The vassal doesn't have to share civics, religion or anything with its' master. Some Civs vassalize very easily, Mansa and Gandhi come to mind. Others don't. Peace vassals have the option to break away every 10 turns. Sometimes I see a Civ become a vassal, declare freedom, become a vassal (usually same master), declare freedom like a yo-yo. If a Civ vassalizes during war, it has capitulated. Capitulated vassals very seldom break away - they need specific conditions.

You might see the vassal break away later in your game if it was a peace vassal.

EDIT: The human player cannot vassalize to an AI.

13. eobet

eobet Chieftain

Thank you for the clarification yet again.

Turns out, this race to liberalism and oxford university made it really easy to get riflemen way, way, way faster than any other nation. And turns out, riflemen against any medieval unit is extremely effective.

So I invaded to see what happened, and sure, three nations didn't like that and declared war in support (while Shaka took the opportunity to declare the other way, funnily enough, and rallied to my cause).

There were some big stacks of doom, which made me temporarily loose two cities (one newly conquered, one old). I say temporarily, because my steady stream of riflemen, together with a nice supply of cannons and generals (super healers) later, now means that I'm strolling through the other nations like a walk in the park.

I couldn't have made it without your tips, so thank you guys a hundred times! BUT as I also said in this and other threads, I now feel like I'm "exploiting" the game, because I know what the optimal way to do things are (or at least, I've learned a very powerful "combo"). I must honestly say that I felt the game was more fun when I didn't know all this stuff and had to experiment, because now I know how to beat the AI... at least on this difficulty level. You recommendations to play shadow games may appeal to others who want to be "competitive" in the game, but I just wanted to have a bit of fun. ;)

I guess I can still mess this one up, but right now, I'm satisfied. So I hope I can finally get back to my real work now! Deadline in two days. :eek: