Where did that code go???

tmhm11

Chieftain
I went into the units.xml file and created a number of German specific units by copying and pasting lines of existing code and then tweaking cost, strength, etc. I also had to make changes in the Unitclasses and unitpromotions files. But when I finished everything was working perfectly. The units were there, they upgraded correctly and were real "kick butt" units. That was three or four days ago. Today I started a new game and lo and behold, everything is gone from the units.xml file. The others still have all the new stuff, but without the units data they no longer exist. What the heck happened to several hours of work????::mad:

I went into the units.xml file and created a number of German specific units by copying and pasting lines of existing code and then tweaking cost, strength, etc. I also had to make changes in the Unitclasses and unitpromotions files. But when I finished everything was working perfectly. The units were there, they upgraded correctly and were real "kick butt" units. That was three or four days ago. Today I started a new game and lo and behold, everything is gone from the units.xml file. The others still have all the new stuff, but without the units data they no longer exist. What the heck happened to several hours of work????::mad:

When you/Steam updated the game, it updated CIV5Units.xml. Hence, your changes were deleted unless you backed that file up somewhere beforehand.

Well thanks guys - that's apparently what happened. No, I hadn't saved the file elsewhere and while I've made a mod and planned to put it all there, I hadn't done that yet. I'm just not yet used to other folks messing around in my computer without my advanced knowledge. Thanks Steam - I really appreciate you taking care of me in my old age incompetence (I really am 70 yrs. old!).

Top Bottom