Where did the Order of Battle come from?

ZooMan2

Warlord
I've just gotten my first good look at the latest version RtW-UI 1.1 and just started playing three of the 1936 scenarios in MP(HS) to get a feel for how all of the countries match up.

I'm curious as to how the unit counts, types and locations were arrived at and whether there was any basis in historical fact or if they were just arrived at based on game play and a desire to creating a challenging scenario.

I'm also curious about the relative strength of the beginning infantry units with the French at 17 compared to the Germans and Brittish at 15, the Japaneese at 12, the Chineese at 10 and the Americans at 5! I mean I know the Americans weren't very good at the beginning but I think this range is a bit extreme. Also, I don't think the French infantry was stronger than the Germans and Brittish - maybe in 1918 but not by 1936.

Anyway, I'm hoping Dale is still checking this forum as I'm sure he knows the answer but if anyone else has some info or thoughts that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

Wikipedia + other WW2 timeline sites setup the events.
Hearts of Iron II is where I got the basic setup of unit composition for the starting dates (with edits during testing).
In RtW-UE a number of us got together to represent historical strengths and abilities of units without impeding "fun" and "gameplay" too much. Initially I just arrived at numbers through playtesting.

Here's some interesting info for you, Japanese units are what everyone else is balanced against. They are the "default" I suppose you could say. ;)

Wikipedia + other WW2 timeline sites setup the events.
Hearts of Iron II is where I got the basic setup of unit composition for the starting dates (with edits during testing).
In RtW-UE a number of us got together to represent historical strengths and abilities of units without impeding "fun" and "gameplay" too much. Initially I just arrived at numbers through playtesting.

Here's some interesting info for you, Japanese units are what everyone else is balanced against. They are the "default" I suppose you could say. ;)

Thanks Dale :) - that's what I was looking for - I'm an amateur history buff like a lot of us I guess and just finished reading Spector's "Eagle Against the Sun" on WWII in the Pacific and was trying to corelate the units he notes at the start (1937 - 1941) in the Pacific with RtW both the Global and the Pacific scenarios.

I'm still curious about your decisions on the relative strengths of the early infantry units. I assume you had a reason for making those differences - can you shed any light on the how those values were arrived at?:confused:

Thanks again for a great mod :D - I haven't played this since last year when you were looking for feedback on beta 1.2 but now that the UE is out I thought I'd give it another go. Is this still the best forum for posting comments and observations on RtW or is there another that is more active?

Thanks & Regards,

This is the most active forum, but note that I hardly ever come back in. With the release of UE I saw RtW as completed and moved on. I'm now over in the Col2 part of the site. :)

As for the unit strengths, that was mostly based on history (of course people's opinions weighed greatly in there too). There's an old thread floating around discussing them, I'm sure you can find it. :)

This is the most active forum, but note that I hardly ever come back in. With the release of UE I saw RtW as completed and moved on. I'm now over in the Col2 part of the site. :)

As for the unit strengths, that was mostly based on history (of course people's opinions weighed greatly in there too). There's an old thread floating around discussing them, I'm sure you can find it. :)

Thanks Dale. I'm playing through all of the major sides to see how the final version worked out. Depending on how it goes I'll probably make a couple of posts to see if there is any interest in a next version. In any case, still one of the greatest mods out.:)

Cheers!

Thanks. :)

Top Bottom