1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Where did this Samurai fishing boat idea come from?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by kamex, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Merciorum

Merciorum Chieftain

How many of us have actually played as the new Japan? How many people can actually comment first-hand on whether or not it is effective? I would be more interested in hearing their experience rather than idle speculation.

As for the historicity, it's no worse than Naresuan's Elephant; it's based off of an old legend/story. The same goes for Kris Swordsmen, and to an extent to the Berserkers and the Immortals. Merely because it isn't a legend most people here know doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with it.

Y'all need to relax and calm down :).

2. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

I have played beta-Japan and even though the Samurai-Fishingboat is mostly for flavour it is actually useful. It depends on game of course, but during (naval) wartime fishing boats gets plundered and even though you can quickly rebuild them, Japan don't need to rebuild them. As Japan you only build fishing boats in the Ancient and Classic era and usually only when you need it (since it takes precious time early one).
    Then that they produce culture, well, Japan needs culture to symbolize its strong culture so this is as good as any. It was fairly good early in the game.
    The Zero was actually good in my game(s), both using it (to shot down polish fighters and bombers in my case) and the oil that I could use for other things (like my own tanks and bombers. In another game I ended up in a war with late Japan and he was on another continent - I skipped that war and took the first peace offer I could get.

3. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Chieftain

So I just finished a multiplayer game with the patch where I played as Japan, and JordantheGaymer played as Germany. You can find the stream up on his channel if you're interested.

I took 2 major things about Japan away from the game.
    1. The culture from fishing boats DOES matter.
    I guess I never noticed how common fish, whales and crabs are until I played Japan, but if you synergize the UA with God of the Sea, then you end up with some really powerful fishing boats and more of them than you think.
    2. Samurai are more effective in building the work boats and do it faster than I thought.
    So long as Japan keeps at least one samurai around then they never have to build another one of those pesky work boats. Unlike legions, samurai build work boats in a single turn, so they're really pretty fast at getting them up. I found this effective for re-building fishing boats that got pillaged after a war ended or using them to build fishing boats in frontier cities.

4. apotheoser

apotheoser Chieftain

The entire fishing boat connection is a stretch to start with, based on the idea that some samurai found fishing to be an appropriate exercise. The idea that you then move all Samurai to Compass is completely ludicrous and makes Samurai seem like some kind of fishing warriors.

It's just taking everything a step too far. Compass->Fishing Boats, ok, not really realistic, but whatever. Samurai->Fishing Boats, ok, kind of a stretch. Put them together for Compass->Samurai? :crazyeye:

5. Polisurgist

Polisurgist Chieftain

Personally, I'm loving the Samurai's work boat ability; it's making a late medieval/early renaissance settler rush possible; I went from 3 cities to 6 pretty quickly, and with decent population even after I take my food routes off of them.

Also, one thing I didn't notice about Japan before is that Samurai upgrade to Riflemen, not to Musketmen, so they stick around longer than LS.

6. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Do they lose the Fishing Boat ability upon upgrade?

7. Polisurgist

Polisurgist Chieftain

I had two get upgraded via ruins to Musketmen and they definitely lost the ability; I didn't actually get Rifling researched until late last night and haven't upgraded any yet.

However, I assume they do lose it, since it isn't an upgrade but an ability intrinsic to the Samurai.

8. Socratatus

Socratatus Chieftain

I didn`t think Firaxis paid attention to historical reality in their games. At least that`s what everyone tells me when I point out how something in Civ5 has barely any relevence to the real counterparts.

I don`t get it, I guess it makes historical sense when certain people want it to be.