1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do i modify Terrain Damages? Do AIs get damages as well?

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Cor'e =), Jun 9, 2017.

1. Cor'e =)

Cor'e =) Chieftain

Where do i modify Terrain Damages? They're way too high, and even surrounding tiles deal out similar full damage from adjacent tiles! Do AI units get damages as well?

For example, i want Scouts to receive less damages than other units.

The CIV4TerrainInfos.xml file lists Desert & Tundra at -15%, but my Scouts are getting -25% from Hills and surrounding tiles!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  2. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

Damage from terrain is controlled by <iHealthPercent> in Civ4TerrainInfos.xml, so you can modify that. I don't think any of the other rules of terrain damage can be modified. Units can't be given reduced damage from terrain, and can only be given immunity through promotions.

Promotions can give immunity to terrain damage from a specific terrain type, but this is restricted to one terrain type per promotion. If you want terrain-damage-proof scouts, it'll have to be outright immunity and three promotions: one each for Desert, Tundra, and Ice.

3. Cor'e =)

Cor'e =) Chieftain

Well, you know i specifically mentioned the Civ4TerrainInfos.xml and how it does not include the terrain damages i'm getting in the game. As for Scouts, maybe promotions are the only way, where do units start with said promotions?

4. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

Something else must be at work if you're getting terrain damage from hills. Are you seeing it on the same save that you posted? I tried loading up that save and I got "Failed to uncompress game data."

5. Cor'e =)

Cor'e =) Chieftain

Yes, i'm running latest AND2 1064 & MCP 1.8.5, but if you test any single player game using the same versions with BUG Terrain Damages enabled then maybe you'll see the same heavy damages i saw? (I've disabled it and kept going, maybe i can re-enable TD and upload another savegame as well).

6. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

What's really going on is "soft" movement limits. Soft movement limits inflict damage on your unit if it goes beyond the exploration limit, and it's tied to the terrain damage option. I would much rather have hard movement limits be a separate selectable option, but I think that's still in the pipeline.

I just noticed this when I updated to v1064. I haven't really played a game with movement limits yet.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  7. IPEX-731BA5DD06

IPEX-731BA5DD06 Chieftain

one thing on Terrain damage, I j get 30% for an unimproved tundra tile, but build a farm/mine etc on it and it drops to 15%. Certain other tiles, its set at 7-9%??? only 1 tile out of my cultural area.

The 30%'s are in enemy lands and tundra away from my lands.

It adds another flavour to the game.

8. Cor'e =)

Cor'e =) Chieftain

Are these features defined somewhere? If i know the rules then i can choose to play by them, however, everything goes back to "normal" when i disable Terrain Damages in BUG. Did i unintentionally set another setting for "soft" movement limits, or like you alluded to is there not a soft/hard toggle yet? And what are exploration limits?

9. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Chieftain

Just read before selecting an option. When you started the game you obviously selected Movement Limits. If you don't know what it is, just read Civilopedia.

10. Cor'e =)

Cor'e =) Chieftain

I did, obviously? RTFM then? Nice response... I was lost on "Exploration Limits", i thought it was something new and undocumented as i've never heard of it... until now, or maybe i have forgotten about whatever it was so many years ago... either way there's nothing listed in the CP as "Exploration Limits", but the CP does explain things rather well under the "Movement Limits" entry as you said, i'll peruse the many game and BUG options and hopefully find it, so thanks, i'm sure you meant to be helpful.

By the way, as i posted as a question in the 1st post, do the AIs suffer all the same effects of these options as the human players do, the extreme damages, limits, etc.? And another question, does the game send alerts to the game screen logs before or during the effects?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  11. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Chieftain

There's no "exploration limits" anywhere. There's an option, which is not default and hence you selected it when starting the game. Which has a tooltip explaining how it works. There's an entry as you've seen in civilopedia which explains how tu is option works. If you play without terrain damage, you can't move too far from your cities. It's not explained how far because you can easily see it by playing and because that limit is scaled by mapsize. If you play with terrain damage, you can move around but once you are beyond the limit your units take damage because of the distance, no matter the tiles they are on. AI suffers the same limits of course and there's no need for logs because they are pretty visible just looking at the map.

12. Cor'e =)

Cor'e =) Chieftain

Thanks for the details, i will really consider them if i think it would be a fun feature to play with Movement Limits, though it is precisely *not* seeing anything until my units started dying that i got confused. Where i chose the Movement Limits option i'm still in the dark about, but i will find it. It's also nice to know that the AI has the same limits and effects thereof, all too often the AI gets unequal advantages just because it's so hard to program a fair AI, but reading what you said i may try the ML option sometime and see how to use it in a strategy against the AIs.