1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do you store your units?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by truetom, Oct 25, 2010.

1. truetom

truetom Warlord

When in between wars you need to place your units and it might get crowdy. Where do you place them - among your cities? Dispersed / bunched?
    Is there a mod with an army base improvement to store your units in the peace time? :)

2. eric_

eric_ Emperor

Somewhere in the honor tree there's an SP that gives +1 happiness for garrisoned units, which can be very useful during a post-war consolidation > expansion period.

3. Dermo

Dermo Warlord

My troops stay positioned at my borders. Just in case the AI up and attackes me.
    Other than the SP mentioned above, I see no reason not to leave them there.

4. eric_

eric_ Emperor

Yeah, once I've regained "natural" happiness (buildings, courthouses, etc), I start mobilizing my troops either for homeland defense or in preparation for the next campaign.

5. Alki

Alki Prince

In between wars? What is this?

6. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Most of the time I "store" them along roads (so I usually have a long line of units). Storing them along borders, I learened, makes them prone to a sneak attack and destruction.

7. KingMackem

KingMackem Chieftain

:)

I normally keep them close to a border with my most likely enemy. I also try to place them on strategic spot (i.e. hills, rivers, etc.) and close to important resources.

8. The Great Apple

The Great Apple Big Cheese

Near borders, but not on the border. I'll also keep a unit garrisoned in my border cities to help defend against sudden attacks. Any unit that won't fit (ie. narrow border) will be queued up on the road behind.

9. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Some of us like to go for peaceful victories.

Anyway, if I have the policy for -1 unhappy for every garrison, then I do that. I also garrison coastal cities for those annoying pirates. Otherwise, I position them in strategic areas and other places that look neat.

10. Alki

Alki Prince

I find when you kill everyone else it can be quite peaceful.

My only two victories so far have been time and diplo.

11. Paeanblack

Paeanblack Prince

Extra settlers and workers get stored in the nearest barbarian camp. Letting them get captured is like putting them in cryogenic storage with no maintenance fees.

Extra military units? No such thing in my games. They are scouting, healing, relocating, or fighting. There is no other option.

12. sarah_aus

sarah_aus Chieftain

I have a weird strategy. I play emperor and immortal level and when I'm done with a war I kill most of my units off leaving only one in each city). Let my happiness and money build up again and then build new better units (usually only takes 10 turns). That way I don't have to pay for their maintenance and I can work on my money and happiness for a while.
    It works for me.

13. Guru-Meditation

Guru-Meditation Chieftain

In Germany we have a saying: "Es kann der Liebste nicht in Frieden leben, wenn´s dem bösen Nachbarn nicht gefällt."

--> "Even the Nicest Person cant live in peace, if his mean neighbor doesnt like that."

And in Civ 5 we have Sociopathic :crazyeye: A.I.