1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Where Great Generals are Born

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Öjevind Lång, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Chieftain

Other great people you get through events (the Great Scientist for being the first one to discover Physics, for exampel) are always born in your capital, but the Great Generals are born all over the place. Is that completely at random, or is the city of birth a place the game thinks could use a Great General? I mean, a place suitable to settle it in or found a war academy in?

2. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

As far as I know, GG's birthplaces are completely random... but I could be completely wrong, I'm just guessing!

3. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Chieftain

Somehow they usually end up in my heaviest unit production city. Not sure if it is just coincidence though.

4. best_defense

best_defense Chieftain

Me too, heaviest unit production city, and never twice same city.

But you won't get 10 generals to make a statistical collection. At most I have seen a city able to produce level 5 or level 6 unit, then game over.

5. Dresden

Dresden Chieftain

It's partially random. There is both a random factor and a weighting which gives preference towards your highest population and highest yield (Food, Production, and Commerce factored individually) cities.

Spoiler Algorithm from CvPlayer::setCombatExperience :
    Code:
    				// create great person
    				CvCity* pBestCity = NULL;
    				int iBestValue = MAX_INT;
    				int iLoop;
    				for (CvCity* pLoopCity = firstCity(&iLoop); pLoopCity != NULL; pLoopCity = nextCity(&iLoop))
    				{
    					int iValue = 4 * GC.getGameINLINE().getSorenRandNum(getNumCities(), "Warlord City Selection");

for (int i = 0; i < NUM_YIELD_TYPES; i++)
    					{
    						iValue += pLoopCity->findYieldRateRank((YieldTypes)i);
    					}
    					iValue += pLoopCity->findPopulationRank();

if (iValue < iBestValue)
    					{
    						pBestCity = pLoopCity;
    						iBestValue = iValue;
    					}
    				}

6. ^alon^

^alon^ Chieftain

random i think...
    for me it usuelly appers in a small not developed city....
    and that sucks......

7. mungbean

mungbean Chieftain

I thought the generals showed up wherever the unit who generated the experience points that put you over the edge was built/drafted! Guess not but that would have been a fun way to do it.

8. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Chieftain

Not necessarily. In my latest game, I made an axeman rush on my nearest neighbour, Isabella (for reasons that I hardly need to explain, since we are talking about Isabella), and her GG was born in Madrid on the same turn that I captured the city and killed the GG before it could attach itself to any unit. Hee hee hee.

I ended up with Hinduism (the religion I had discovered), Isabella's constant plat de jour Buddhism and then Islam, which I also managed to found. (It was on the way to Nationalism and the Taj Mahal anyway.) I spread those three religions to all my cities and managed to generate prophets to found all three shrines. Talk about money machines! And the happiness later on when I was all finished and introduced Free Religion was pretty nice too... I had taken care to build enough monasteries to keep building missionaries and send many of them to my neighbours. Three of them converted early on, giving me a nice buffer agianst the others, and the others (the only one who wouldn't sign open borders with me was Surya, whom I really have started to disike) paid for my upkeep. Three Vaticans collecting money! Towards the end (I was aiming for a cutural victory), I ran 90% culture, 10% espionage, managed to block almost all intruding spies and ran a profit of over 100 gold per turn. And even so I managed to research sciences my neighbours hadn't disocvered yet. Well, this was on Noble, so I suppose no one is impressed. But it was great fun.

I founded Sid's Sushi and Civilized Jewellers in the same city where my Hindu shrine was, and I built Wall Street and Oxford University in that selfsame city. That also helped, of course. By the way, how do you folks feel about settling Great Merchants in your money city instead of sending them off to cash in a one-off sum?

9. sydhe

sydhe King of Kongs

I've taken to settling the merchants if I get them early in the game, and sending them off later in the game. I think that maximizes their gold output. There's also the extra food point.

10. eris

eris Chieftain

That has always been my impression. One clue seems to be that whenever a Privateer generates the Great General the Great General shows up in a coastal city.

Someone with code knowedge could answer authoritatively, but this guess has at least two votes.

11. Dresden

Dresden Chieftain

They already have; it is based on a combination of population and yield rankings along with a random factor. See my previous post...

12. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Chieftain

Those are good points. Of course, one should always try to keep one around for Sid's Sushi, but that is much later. With Caste System, one should be able to pop several Geat Merchants.