Where in Erebus would you like to live?

WarKirby

Arty person
A thought has come into my head.

Imagine yourself as a person in erebus. No magic powers or godly swordmanship .Just a person. Average, competent at basic things, no specific skills to speak of. Whatever race you choose. You have enough gold for a little travel, and settling down.

Which nation of Erebus would you like to live in?

The lawful bannor empire, where the streets are safe at night. Just don't say anything unfavorable about the government.

Or perhaps the sheiam, a lawless criminal underground, where the city guards don't much care what you do. Or for that matter, what others do to you. And where demons lurk around every corner.

Perhaps among the Khazad. A society where hard work is rewarded, and there's always ample tasks for laborers. Just don't get sick or have bad luck. The dwarves don't much care for charity.

give me your thoughts. consider all the myriad nations. What would you value most?
Safety ?
Freedom ?
Opportunities for personal gain and prosperity ?

What would you do in your chosen location? What role could you see yourself filling in that society?

What a wonderful thread you are starting here! It got me thinking!
An average person, where would I like to settle...Let's see...

My first thought would have been the Ljosalfar. I like being in harmony with nature and tending it. A small hut partially within 2 great trees, with a small, rope ladder, allowing me to climb at the top of them, admiring the view of the forest, rivers and hills.
I would apply at the local herbalist, for the knowledge of mending the wounds of the hurt and tending the sick.
Perhaps, later, I could learn more advanced methods of healing and removing diseases.
I could also learn methods to help nature recover from natural disasters, this sort of things...Ah, that would have been the perfect life for me :)

Now, that was the first thought...
..I can not oversee the countless possibilities offered by the presence of Govannon within the Amurates society.

Joining his school of magic and researching the mysteries of the Ether! Understanding the essence of the Universe! How interesting! Just living in a small room within the school, and spend most of the time trying to solve the problems associated with the manipulation of the very fabric of the world... And then, using this knowledge for the benefit of those in need.

This is another perfect life for me...:lol:

I'd prefer to be among the Luchuirp. Having your golems do the menial work while you tinker and experiment in your laboratory sounds like a good life for me. Living standards are high, I get some freedom to experiment and improve, and living conditions under the Luchuirp are good enough to make it enjoyable.

Deep within me I know my inner mad scientist wants to be a mage among the Sheaim, but I'm not going to listen to him. :p

I`d like to live in one of the Kuriotates cities. Lamias, Centaurs and other creatures everywhere, good and wise government, happy community, etc. :)

I would probably live in the lands of the Grigori. It would be rather good until I have to flee due to constant wars of people overtaking the Grigori lands. After that I would go to the borderlands of the Amurites and get taught by Govannon for a bit until I decide to flee the harsh Magiostocracy. My final location would probably be in the Kuriotate lands where I would use my magic for profit.

Good question. How average are we talking here? If I were a part of the Calabim, would I actually be a part of the Calabim? I.e. a vampire? If so, definately the Calabim. Vampire powers of regeneration, haste, and countless souls to feed on. As a peasant, though, I think I'd pass.

As a truly average Joe Schmuck.. really though question. It kinda depends on religion aswell. Octopus Overlords Lanun could be interesting. On one hand, a happy-go-jolly piratey civilization with an easy-going attitude, but with a church that cherishes the clinically insane, ruled by sychophants. What's not to love?

There's a good question why I'd be an Average Joe, depending on the society. Sociologically I tend to favour authoritarian goverments with possibilities for leadership progression above an (evolutionary) egalitarian that curbs personal progress, so from my impression Ljosalfar, Svartalfar and Bannor would all be on my short list.

I'm going to have to go with.. Ljosalfar. Sufficiently easy-going, a free society that allows personal freedom but curbs 'unacceptable' behaviour through cultural and racial repression, rather than political. Ancient forests, lots of fresh air, in tune with nature, no pollution. Yeah, I'd go with Ljosalfar.

Since my dream job is to be an Engineer, of course the Luchuirup. Other favorites would be Amurites, Grigori, Ljosalfar, Kuriotates, and Lanun in that order

I'd live as a Kuriotate, maybe get a job as a crewman on one of their fancy airships. Get to see Erebus, and only have to worry about the occasional Griffin or horseman of Armageddon ruining your day...

Hmmmm...Probably Lanun. Average Lanun = Pirate. Maybe become part of Falamar's crew. God I love Falamar.
Girgori or Luchuirp also both sound good.

I thought it had long been established that the Luchuirp empire is the only one in which a sane person would wish to live. Living among the Grigori would of course not be bad either, until some less enlightened neighbors decide to take over.

Whats wrong with the Kuriotates? The impenetrable caste system?
If I was a Luchuirpite (Luchuirpian?, a luchy?) I'd probably want to live in the Mithril Golem. Blessings of Kilmorph? Bah! Someones got to keep those gears oiled.

Luchuirp seem to be oddly popular. And Kurio. But if it's all about the Good civs, I wonder, why haven't anyone mentioned the Elohim yet?

I imagine, with their tolernt nature, it might be quite a nice place to live, as long as you could put up with the monks prattling on about purity and virtues

The Grigori do have a fair bit going for them, too. Seems like they would value human life a lot more than most, and ensure a high standard of living for their citizens.

The Balseraphs could be another interesting option. Interesting is definitely the word I'd use, though perhaps not particularly safe. Still, a nation in eternal revelry and partying would be quite fun.

I do also wonder what life among the Sidar might be like. I haven't read much of their lore. What does becoming a Shade actually involve?

Personally, though, I think I might like the Scions of Patria, an FF race. They're a society of undead people, of sorts. Not the rotting flesh and bones kind of undead, but more the Eternal life and youth, and never having to eat, kind. Eternal life has a nice appeal to me, and with the Discovery of sorcery, they can grant the gift of eternal life to thousands of citizens, en masse.

Good question. How average are we talking here? If I were a part of the Calabim, would I actually be a part of the Calabim? I.e. a vampire? If so, definately the Calabim. Vampire powers of regeneration, haste, and countless souls to feed on. As a peasant, though, I think I'd pass.

By average, I generally meant peasant, yes.

Although, it's not unheard of for humans to rise through the ranks, and join the vampire aristocracy. That's what Moroi are for, isn't it ? They're human warriors chosen to become vampires, I believe.

By average, I generally meant peasant, yes.

Although, it's not unheard of for humans to rise through the ranks, and join the vampire aristocracy. That's what Moroi are for, isn't it ? They're human warriors chosen to become vampires, I believe.
Yeah, something like that, but they are pretty low-grade. I mean, I don't think I'd like to be part of any armed forces until at least the higher tiers - Champion or higher.

Pretty low life expectancy as a Axeman or Warrior. ;)

I think I'd like the Elohim. Genuinely caring people, and it feels like they are the most closely aligned with my ideals, and they feel like the least likely to ever be corrupted. All that love and caring might not be the best to hold of an invasion, but at least you'd be dying for a higher ideal.

Ironically, my favorite civ to play is the Sheaim. Figures :rolleyes:

Well considering that these are civilizations and I could be "living" in any part of a time period stretching from the stone age to the renaissance...

All things considered I would probably do well for myself living amongst the Hippus, under Rhoanna. Get myself a nice yurt in a coastal settlement and make a living as a fisherman in the early era, scribe in the middle age and mentor in life magic once colleges are invented. The culture is proud, values personal freedom and respects hard work. Strong military to keep us safe and yet there's no central dogma enforced on the citizens. Rhoanna seems smart enough to keep us from allying with obviously evil civilizations, but neither will she tolerate being pushed around by the "good" ones. Yeah, it would be a good living. :cool:

Top Bottom