1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Where is Genoa and Italian city-states?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Haig, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Haig

Haig Warlord

I remembet someone discovering files referencing Genoa civ in Civ 6's files and there are no italian citystates. Do you think we get some in next expansio ?

Also I dont know much about Genoa except they were Venices rival.

Are they "worthy" of civ status? Did they have colonies or power?

2. Chefofrats

Chefofrats Chieftain

3. Naktis

Naktis Chieftain

Actually all italian states missing , so many people thought we gonna get rennaisance type Italy as civ.

4. Zdarg

Zdarg Chieftain

Having both Rome and Italy in same game looks, er... illogical.
    About like having both Russia and Soviet Union.

bonafide11 likes this.
  5. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Or like having the HRE and both France and Germany? ...wait.

Kimiimaro, bite, Dragabond and 2 others like this.
  6. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Chieftain

Or Rome and Byzantium or Byzantium and the Ottoman Empire.
    In a game where the Sumerians are still around in 2000AD and the US is there in 4000BC I could cope with Rome and Italy co-existing.

7. Naktis

Naktis Chieftain

Or having 3 greek states in not so big region , plus Byzantines coming , having 2 india rulers , and soviet union/2nd Russian is a possibility coz Moscow is still free starting city.

8. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

there's nothing illogical about having both Italy and ancient Rome in the same game. Especially in a franchise where the Western and Eastern Roman empires are considered separate entities, England and Scotland exists alongside one another (despite both civs having traits of their shared UK history). Not to mention Macedon and Greece.

It could happen in the next expansion.

MooFreaky, Zaarin, luigilime and 3 others like this.
  9. Karpius

Karpius Chieftain

As a sovereign state, Italy doesn't come into existence until the 1860's. From the end of the Western Roman Empire until the creation of the modern Italian state, there are a number of versions of Italy that could find a home in the Civilization franchise. Of course, thats just me.

I will never understand how anyone can deem one entity more or less deserving of inclusion in a game such as Civilization6 considering the fantasy aspect of the game.

Now if you were creating specific scenarios around specific time periods and regions, that would be different. But that is not what Civilization6 is. Its a free for all. A Battle Royale between any and all participants throughout the history of man.

MooFreaky likes this.
  10. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

It would be fine.

And beyond what I think, to me it's pretty clear that it's what is going to happen anyhow. Several Italian citystates would otherwise be in the game as no-brainers.

11. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

The lack of Italian City-States is indeed puzzling. But we can’t assume that their absence means we will get a full Italian civ.

Venice, Genoa, the Vatican and co. have been absent since day one, and Italy is still nowhere to be seen.

In the meantime we’ve had Seoul, Jakarta and Amsterdam replaced when the respective civs were added. We also still have Babylon, Lisbon, Palenque and Carthage as city-states when each of their parent civs has a far higher chance of returning.

luigilime likes this.
  12. Karpius

Karpius Chieftain

I think it should be noted also that people are generally not clamoring for any more European civs. Mostly, I hear people call for more Asian, African and native American civs. I couldn't care either way...a civ is a civ and there is not a single civ someone could suggest that I would not find equally deserving as another.

13. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I suspect there were plans for Genoa early on, with other Italian city states on Genoa's city list; that would be why none were initially included. But Genoa got cut, leaving the possibility of having it as DLC or in an xpac. So they haven't added any Italian city states in anticipation of adding them as part of a major civ down the line. Just my guess.

And to guess further - and this is much more speculative than the paragraph above - Italy in some form has a low chance of actually being included. It's a fun possibility to have on the list when deciding what civs to include, so it was probably on the list for the first set of DLC if not the original vanilla list. But complaints about there being too many European civs plus the peninsula already being occupied by Rome pushed it to the first xpac list, and similar complaints pushed it to the second xpac list. I suspect they've finalized the second xpac list by now; we'll hopefully know in a few months if it got cut again. But with no DLC in sight, if the second xpac is the last, I predict it got cut again because there are too many other worthy civs to include. But the decision to cut came too late to add any of the Italian city states as game city states.

Naktis, Trav'ling Canuck and Uberfrog like this.
  14. Xandinho

Xandinho Warlord

I would love to have Italy in the game, and I suspect we'll have it sometime. They fit perfectly into the mechanism of alternative leaders.
    The absence of important Italian city-states could mean that they planned an Italian civ at the beginning, but then they may have abandoned to prioritize other continents (since many people complained that the game was very Eurocentric), but Italy may appear in a future DLC or expansion.

15. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

I wouldn't place much emphasis on the alternative leaders mechanism. That appears to be a side show for the development team, something they added seemingly because it was a feature asked for but not available in Civ 5, but not something they appear to have a lot of interest in developing. Ed Beach is on record as saying this feature is intended mostly for modders, no DLCs made use of it, and the base and expansion 1 each carried only one alternative leader each.

That's not to say that they couldn't change tack and decide to emphasize it in the future, but it would be a change in strategy. If we get a second expansion, the odds would favour there being 1 new alternate leader for an existing civ, with the other leaders being single leaders for new civs.

16. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

This is the first game where a separate Italy Civ would work alongside Rome, in my opinion, due to the alternate leader mechanics and where they don't have to use the city of Rome as their capital. So I'm still hoping they get included.

luigilime likes this.
  17. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

So far only two of the great Italian City States appear on in game City Lists, Rome and Milan, there absence is noticeable

18. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

MFW when people have issues with Rome and Italy together but not Rome and Byzantium.

Kjimmet, luigilime, Kimiimaro and 2 others like this.
  19. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

Where is Milan?

20. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

Mediolanum is in the Roman city list.

bite likes this.