Where on Earth?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Birdjaguar, Jul 5, 2020.

?

Which of these areas are your top 3 choices for visiting?

1. Northern Europe

2. Southern Europe

3. Eastern Europe & Russia

4. China, Korea & Japan

5. SE Asia

6. South Pacific

7. Canada

8. USA

9. Central America & Mexico

10. South America

11. East Africa & South Africa

12. India

13. North Africa

14. Middle East & Iran

15. Australia & New Zealand

16. Antarctica

17. Equatorial Africa

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I voted Canada, because it seems that this pandemic is here to stay for now. Canada's doing pretty well overall, so my next vacation might very well keep me inside of our national borders.

Taiwan and Korea have been on my list of places to visit, so I've voted for that option as well. They are also doing quite well w/ the virus, so it seems these places might actually be possible to travel to before other places open up.

I also voted for South America, because I've been itching to get back there.. I doubt I will be able to anytime soon though, as their numbers seem to be exploding..

@Synsensa If you travel to anywhere in Western Europe, you will find many people who speak English.. especially if you end up in a place like the Netherlands, where the locals speak English even better than us here in North America ;) Even so, it's pretty easy to get around without speaking the local tongue these days, with the internet and all. A lot of these places want you to go there, even if you don't speak the language. The local shop and restaurant owners will love you for bringing your money there, they don't care you can't speak Thai or Spanish or whatever. I mean, some people might, but for me it's literally never been a problem.. and I've been to places where finding someone who speaks English can be a struggle. These days it's easy to get what you want by translating a question online or whatever. I also don't have time to learn a brand new language, but if that other language uses the same alphabet as English.. then all you gotta do is have a short phrase or word list, or just remember words like Pollo, carne, and cerveza, so you're not always googling everything when at a restaurant. A LOT of restaurants will also have English menus for you. Even when they don't, they want your business. Those that don't (have English menus) tend to be local owned family type restaurants. That's where you will usually find the best local food. It will also be cheaper.. and they will want your business whether you speak English or Klingon.

Having said all that, I completely understand not feeling comfortable doing any of that and wanting to stick to English speaking countries only. We all have our own comforts, and there's no sense flying somewhere if you know you're not going to have a good time.

As for me, I am basically sitting at home and have been since April or so.. I can't even remember anymore when this started tbh.. I'm always home.. and saving up my vacation time like a madman. Ours never expires, so I if I stay at home for 3 years, that will get me a crapload of vacation time.. the thing is that our managers are supposed to crack the whip when someone's accumulated more than 25 days and force them to take fridays off for the next 3 months or something.. but in practice this rarely happens in our unit.

What I'm probably going to do is go on some grand trip early next year. I am not sure if it makes sense to travel anywhere this fall even... And that's another reason why I have South America on my list - The Canadian winter is their summer, so it'd be a good time to go. I want to hit up Patagonia again, and being so far south in the summer makes a lot more sense. If I went in the winter it'd be stupid cold and dark.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  2. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Thailand.

3. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

I added Antarctica and Equatorial Africa to the poll.

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  4. Birdjaguar

Thailand :)

5. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Places I'd like to (but probably won't) go
    Antarctica: To see the secret UFO base there !
    Australia: To see true live nature's wonderous creations monsters ! ^^ :D
    Mexico: "Arriba, Arriba , Andale, Andale" ^^ And to see Mesoamerican Pyramids and great structures ! :)

Birdjaguar likes this.
  6. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

Besides what Warpus said: This fear will go away once you realize how little you need to be able to speak to get along in a place.
    The most complicated part is normally the airport, and people there normally speak English.
    For many other things, you can look up a few words before, or even order stuff online, so they don't tend to be a problem.
    (always under the assumption that there are no special needs; I don't want to try to order something e.g. gluten-free or vegan without knowing the language; my experiences are also only within Europe, so that itself is rather uncomplicated)
    - You need a place to stay for the night? You look up hostels/hotels on google, maybe directly book via booking.com or airbnb, then you look up the words for "reservation" or "one night please", and you are done
    - travelling? Bus and train schedules are often online, including maps. Ticket machines in hubs are likely to have an option to switch language
    - food: Supermarkets are not an issue. If you really can't translate anything in a restaurant, then just go with a surprise
    And more you don't really need :dunno:.

Birdjaguar and Synsensa like this.
  7. Synsensa

Synsensa Especially the lies. Retired Moderator

Oh, I know it's certainly possible, and I know many countries, especially in tourist areas, cater to the English-speaking clientele. My discomfort is more in the realm of feeling disrespectful. I wouldn't appreciate someone coming here and then expecting the world to shift for them and their wants, so it'd be unfair of me to travel elsewhere and act the same way. I could travel to, say, Thailand, and reasonably know that I could speak only English and get all that I need or want, but that's because I'm forcing the locals to speak my language. True, it's a global language, but it just doesn't sit right in the back of my mind to travel to someone else's home and then making them adapt to me.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  8. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Nowhere significantly far, I have a better use for any dollar that would be spent on travel

Birdjaguar likes this.
  9. Birdjaguar

In many places they love the fact that you are there spending money and having a good time.

The_J likes this.
  10. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I can't handle hot weather anymore, so that eliminates a lot of places for much of the year. Still, that leaves a lot. I'd like to go to the UK. I was in London for a few days once, but that's it. Also Ireland. I would happily go back to France, too. The flight to W. Europe from the East Coast of the US is relatively tolerable.

There's also parts Canada and the US I'd still like to see. I keep thinking "this is the year I go to TIFF" (the Toronto International Film Festival) and then I never do it. Sadly, I think San Diego ComicCon and SXSW have grown beyond my tolerance, but if there were a smaller version of those things, that could be as good an excuse as I'd need to visit a city I wouldn't otherwise think of. I do still want to visit the Pacific Northwest.

I would love to make another trip to East Asia, but it's just a whole thing. Expensive to reach, so I'd want to book like a month-long trip or something. And when I visit Asia, I have to schedule an entire day - usually the 2nd day I've got my feet on the ground - just to be sick from the travel. SE Asia and India are both very appealing, for the people and the food and the natural environment, but I don't know if I'd survive the heat. Toronto or Stockholm in Winter, I'd be fine; Bangkok, Mumbai or Hanoi in Summer and I'd be dead in minutes. :lol:

Synsensa likes this.
  11. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Yay! And since they've opened up parts of Banff National Park (not sure about Jasper, but probably since there tend to be fewer people there) and have prohibited foreign tourism for the time being (7 Americans were recently fined $1200 each for stopping in Banff to sightsee instead of continuing on the way to Alaska as they told the border agents they intended to do), this is the perfect time for Canadians to visit our own national parks. And with fewer people being allowed into the back country for hunting and ATV riding, the risk of forest fire is lower.

So come west. There are some wonderful places out here to hike and bike, and it won't be so crowded.

(I have no idea about the provincial parks; that's a political hot potato here these days as Kenney is determined to sell off a bunch of them)

Birdjaguar likes this.
  12. Birdjaguar

Ok, who voted for Equatorial Africa? Please explain yourself.

13. civvver

civvver Deity

There's a lot of things I want to see but probably won't do any of it due to price and safety. On my list in no particular order,

Europe:
    Visit Ireland, drink a lot of Guinness.
    Eat fish and chips in London and see Big Ben,
    Go on a tour of Bavarian breweries in Germany (though I have been there before)
    Eat northern Italian cuisine, probably in Parma as it's supposed to have amazing food
    Visit Rome and see the coliseum
    Visit Venice and go on a gondola
    Eat some pizza in Naples
    Ski the Alps
    Drink some wine in southern France
    Take my wife to Paris (I've been and it wasn't really my jam but she'd love it)
    Go to some beaches in Barcelona and try paella

Asia:
    See the great wall of China
    See the Taj Mahal
    Visit some beaches in Tailand

Africa/Middle East:
    Visit Jerusalem and see a bunch of historic stuff
    See the Egyptian pyramids
    Go on an African safari

Central/South America:
    Machu picchu
    Chichen Ita

North America:
    Go on a bbq tour. I'd probably make a big loop starting in the Carolinas, going through Tennessee/Memphis, down into Texas, then back up through Kansas City and across to St. Louis. I think that covers the major styles and areas, Carolina pork bbq, Memphis dry rubs, Texas brisket KC/St Louis ribs.
    Ski in Colorado or Utah.

I've been to a lot of other places in the USA and Canda so stuff like Niagara falls, NYC, San Fran, LA, Florida, etc, don't make my list.

If I had a top 5 though it'd probably be Machu Picchu, Chichen Itza, Egypt, African Safari and Great Wall. Sure all that foodie stuff would be awesome but there's good imitations locally- you can't duplicate the great wall! I will probably never go to Egypt though due to security concerns, or South Africa and China due to cost. I might visit the South American stuff though, I've been to Mexico a few times already.

Morty and Birdjaguar like this.
  14. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Many people here are kind of proud of being able to and speaking English when needed :)
    And helping a tourist goes well along with that.

The_J and Birdjaguar like this.
  15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

@civvver

If you ever head out to see Machu Picchu or Thai beaches, let me know, I have given people tons of tips for trips like that, so it's all still more or less fresh in my mind.

I've heard that Chichen Itza is a bit of a letdown. I was near there and could have paid $125 USD to take a bus from the resort to the ruins and back.. but that's a ripoff so nope. Maybe if you ignore the cost it isn't that much of a letdown? I forget exactly what I read about it tbh.

I have a friend who went to Paris with his wife, and they ended up having a blast. They mostly stayed away from the common sights, but they did check them anyhow. Most of their time was spent just exploring the city, eating amazing food, and from what I remember a Moulin Rouge show. I think the had their hotel near there and just loved that part of town. Found some bakery and cafe near their airbnb and just sorta lived there for a while. Sounds like a fun time to me

From what I've heard, the only place where people will mind that you only speak English is Paris :lol:

I understand what you're saying, but most travel destinations are happy to have you there and spending your money and injecting it into the local economy. It's what keeps a lot of these places going. They will adapt to whoever is visiting. In parts of Vietnam you will see signs and staffed tourist info booths in Russian, because many Russian travellers go on vacation there. It's simply the locals catering to the foreign visitor in order to be as accommodating as possible, because this is their livelihood.

From my experience locals will really appreciate it if you try to speak their language and learn a couple common phrases. So far in my 12 or so years of solo travelling, I've come across nobody who got upset that I couldn't be fluent in their home language. I can't even remember someone not wanting to help me or being negative in any way even. Most people just want to help and are happy to have visitors from elsewhere.

The language thing isn't really that important. It would be if you moved there permanently to work or whatever. Then I totally and 100% agree with you. Otherwise it's just the reality of international travel. There are thousands of languages out there and most people just speak 2 or 3, or hey maybe only just one. As long as you're not a jerk nobody will get annoyed (unless you're in Paris ;).. or Quebec City maybe ;);)). The vast majority of establishments will be happy to accommodate you and take your money. Only unreasonable people will expect *tourists* to learn the local language. Learn some key phrases and common words, learn a bit about the local culture, what to do, what not to do or say.. and people will really appreciate that. You are not imposing by sitting down at a restaurant and not speaking the language, they most likely used to that and ready for it. You can't really think of the converse situation, because it isn't really a true converse. Greek tourists don't show up here thinking that they'll get by just speaking Greek. That is not a situation that's common, because Greek is not the international language of anything. English is. New York restaurants aren't set up to expect tourists from Poland only speaking Polish, that just doesn't happen. We do get tourists in Canada who want to use American money, and the closer to the border you are, the more those people will be accommodated. Always happy taking foreign money

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  16. Birdjaguar

Go to NC first and then there will no need to go any further. In NC BBQ is a verb. In other places it is noun. It makes all the difference. All the others are a waste of time. :D

17. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Do we get extra votes? Antarctica would be my fourth choice.

The thing is, they already get lots of tourists, so it's part of doing business, at least for many of them.

Even in Red Deer, when I worked at Kerry Wood Nature Centre in the wildlife sanctuary near my former home, we had tourists from all over the world. And while all of them spoke English, if any had tried speaking French, I would have tried to speak French to them (my accent isn't very good; I'm much better at reading it than speaking it). There was a time when I was on the bus (regular transit) and some people turned up who only spoke French. The driver was able to speak to them with no trouble at all.

1. BBQ is a thing here in Alberta (ranching is a major industry).

2. Canada has a lot more to see than Niagara Falls.

3. There are lots of places to ski here.

4. A typical list of summer activities in Western Canada includes barbecues, rodeo, fairs/midway, and camping.

5. I've seen downhill skiing going on as late in the spring as Mother's Day weekend in Banff National Park; it was a little weird to see people dressed in ski outfits waiting for the bus to take them to Mt. Norquay while everyone else was in spring jackets or even shirtsleeves. I was glad of my jacket since the friend I was with took me up to see Lake Minnewanka, which was still mostly frozen over (not thick enough to risk going out on it; the ice was melting near the shoreline).

It was incredibly relaxing there. The air was a little chilly, but not cold, and it was really quiet. Nobody was around but us, and the feeling of peace and relaxation is hard to describe. I could have stayed there all day, given the opportunity.

18. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Antarctica

19. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

It wasn't me, but the Great Rift Valley, Mt. Kilimanjaro, Lake Victoria, Serengeti National Park, Zanzibar. It wouldn't be in my top 3, but I would totally go there.

The_J and Valka D'Ur like this.
  20. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

For the pinguins ?