Where on Earth?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Birdjaguar, Jul 5, 2020.

?

Which of these areas are your top 3 choices for visiting?

1. Northern Europe

2. Southern Europe

3. Eastern Europe & Russia

4. China, Korea & Japan

5. SE Asia

6. South Pacific

7. Canada

8. USA

9. Central America & Mexico

10. South America

11. East Africa & South Africa

12. India

13. North Africa

14. Middle East & Iran

15. Australia & New Zealand

16. Antarctica

17. Equatorial Africa

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Southern Europe - Florence, Venice, and maybe Vienna, for the renaissance art and architecture & St.Tropez, and Malta.

East Africa - Khartoum, where the White & Blue Niles come together, especially when the monsoon rain cause the Blue Nile to gush up by tens of meters.

Edit: Iceland.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  2. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

No. But the poll permits changing votes if you wish.

East Africa which includes Kenya and its neighbors is listed with South Africa. I consider Equatorial Africa the Junglely region south of the Sahara and west of the rift valley and eastern plains.

3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I was supposed to be climbing Kilimanjaro next August with a group of friends, but that's being postponed.. who knows for how long. Initially we were going to be doing it this year.. but a friend backed out and we postponed (the first time).. otherwise we'd have a bunch of expensive flights booked by the time the pandemic hit, possibly, which would have sucked

EgonSpengler, The_J and Birdjaguar like this.
  4. Birdjaguar

I had plans for seeing the great migration on the Serengeti and them heading to the mountains to see the gorillas in either late 2020 or earl;y 2021. No plans now, :(

EgonSpengler likes this.
  5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Hey, maybe we'll run into each other in Tanzania, we were going to do a safari too. They are so pricy, but.. we figure we might as well, since we're there.. I think it was what, $250 USD a night minimum and they put you up in a tent? And a cabin/hut is $500+ or something like that? Half my friends backed out but half of us were into it for like 2 nights maybe. I saw a package where you spent a day and night in each of the big parks in Tanzania, but that was a bit more I think.. and how much do you really see travelling between the parks? This is when I would be doing all this research, but now I don't care haha. My next trip is probably taking me.. well, who knows. I listed my votes, but I usually sort of follow my nose in a way. All my trips sort of just happen. They land in my lap. They just make sense one day. Vietnam happened because I was eating a lot of pho all the time, so why not go visit the land of pho? And it's of course a great destination and it was on my list, yes, but that spark.. all the pho eating.. it was a catalist.

So for now I am sitting on my butt not really thinking about the next trip. I know by experience that the spark will come when it is time.

A part of me thinks that I could just blindly fly to some country that is safe without a plan and be gone for like 6-8 weeks and maybe turn it into a trip around the world. I have no idea if my boss would allow that, but I am slowly building up my vacation days (which never expire).. and I am saving money during the pandemic, since I'm always sitting at home, almost never buying anything and almost never eating out.

Let's be honest, I've also been descending into madness over the last several months. When the time comes I am going to madly start laughing and I'll jump on a plane and who knows where I'll end up. A part of me just needs to get out there somewhere, so once it's safe, and I see a cheap flight to some place, I might just jump on it. From there I could always make my way to other places. So my next trip could very well be decided by "What's cheap right now to book?" and "Where is it safe for me to fly?"

And I am kidding about us running into each other, but it's always possible we end up being there at the same time, and there's only so many places tourists go in Tanzania

Birdjaguar likes this.
  6. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Of course, not to mention having a look around at the general geography of the place. It's the coldest desert on Earth, but it has an amazing amount of life above and below the water and ice. The only place I've ever seen real penguins in person is the the Calgary Zoo.

I was watching a David Attenborough documentary a few weeks ago and there was footage of a molting penguin chick going for a walk around the colony, and later having to call to its parents (since it wandered off, they had to search for each other so it could be fed). I had no idea that penguin chicks sound like little chirping songbirds when they're babies. The adults' voices are very harsh by comparison.

:(

Okay, I will change Northern Europe to Antarctica. But if we could have had 4 choices, I would have included all of them.

As I've been very unsubtly HINTING... I know you've said that for the cost of flying out west you could fly to another continent, but this year the national parks out here are Canadians-only. They are not letting international tourists in, so the parks are a lot less crowded now. And since you wouldn't be driving, there wouldn't be any problem with getting dirty looks due to having an out-of-province license plate.

In some other year when things are back to whatever "normal" will be and you're wondering where to go... I did see an interesting article on CBC.ca about a woman who biked the Silk Road. I don't remember when she did it or how long it took her, but it was quite a journey.

If you were into horses, there was an article the other day about some guy who rode a horse from Alaska to Calgary, and his original plan was to take in the Stampede. Of course the Stampede is canceled this year (they did do the pancake breakfast, but it was drive-through only), so when he arrived, they made him an honorary parade marshal for the parade that didn't happen.

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

That's not a bad idea, but I'm not comfortable flying inside of Canada even right now. But when the time comes, yeah, maybe it's time to do the Berg Lake Trail (and more)!

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  8. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Excluding travel within Australia, I had plans to go to Thailand at the end of the year which are basically cancelled now. So that's where I would go first.

Then when I can afford it it's a tossup between Japan or the United States. I want to see some friends in the US and go to conventions, but Japan is closer.

9. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

Come here ;).

In addition to my previous post:
    If I realistically should pick 3 travel destinations now, it'd be 1) Rome, Pompei, Herculaneum 2) Athens, Acropolis 3) Egypt, pyramids, Sphinx.
    I'm saying again "realistically", since I'm not feeling up to fly to the Americas for Machu Picchu, Chichen Itza, Galapagos or Easter Islands. But hey, who knows?
    Although if I really want to go there, then I should make real plans in the coming few years.

10. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Hell yeah! I'll put the kettle on. :goodjob:

11. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

I'd like to visit Ireland and New Zealand.

Probably only in my dreams now.

12. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Erm, isn't that Antarctica, because deserts are a measure of precipitation.

Morty likes this.
  13. amadeus

amadeus Nilknarf!

Everyone is so adventurous. I don't like leaving home for more than a couple of days, and only by road or rail. Preferably rail. Those long-haul buses are not comfortable.

This is not a recent development, either. As I say, I already moved 6,000 miles. I consider that sufficient!

Thankfully, everything I want to see is already in this country so I can do it.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I actually almost bought tickets to fly to Germany for April of this year.. but the pandemic was just getting started in China when I saw the deals come up.. and they were starting to lock stuff down. I thought about it and it made sense to me that this virus is going to end up everywhere and we'll start seeing places shut down all over the place.. so I held off and didn't book anything. This was back in Jan/Feb of this year.

That's where you are, somewhere in the 3 countries in your location? ;) The reason I was going to fly to Germany was to attend a demoparty, where I would have entered some art and/or music and would see the presentations of these items live (as well as the voting), but also to meet scene people who travel to such events. This usually includes a handful of ANSI artists who'd I already know, but there's also cool musicians to meet, coders, other demo and artscene people, connected people, and just all sorts of interesting people show up to these events..

So yeah, I was going to attend Revision IIRC. Or maybe it was Evoke. These are the 2 biggest demoparties on the planet and they're both staged in Germany. You can google them to get more info, although both events have been cancelled for this year, and it looks like the revision website is down as well.. So hopefully the organizers of these events pull through this and hopefully these events don't all die...

Galapagos or Easter island will be a lot more expensive than the other options, I believe. For Galapagos I believe you gotta go with an official group type thing, but don't quote me on that. When we were in Peru we looked into this option and it just seemed too pricy to consider as a side-trip. I think they might have locked down the island more since too, not because of covid (but also that), but I think they also locked down how many tourists can visit the island and in what capacity. So that would have made things more expensive as well, probably.

Easter island I'm not sure, but when I was in Chile this place gets advertised to tourists as a travel destination. It's pretty out of the way though, flights from Santiago to Easter Island are pretty expensive. I think the ultimate cheapest flight you can find (from/to Santiago) is about $500 return flight. But that's if you book in advance and get lucky with the pricing, usually it's a lot more than that I believe.

It is said that Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu (close to each other) is the part of South America that's the most expensive.. but.. it's not really that bad if you're used to western prices. We found Aguas Calientes cheap, although not as cheap as the rest of the country, and you just have to make sure to not buy anything at the MP ruins, especially water. If you bring everything you need, that will cut down on the cost. Getting there is reasonable as well, you can take a train, which is marked up as well.. but you could also do a bus/train combo to save some money, or do a full hike to MP instead, which will be more expensive (and a lot more epic)

Birdjaguar and The_J like this.
  15. civvver

civvver Deity

At the risk of sounding rude, that stuff sounds cool but it's also easily accessible in the US, bbq, skiing, rodeos, camping. I would like to go to Vancouver someday though as I hear it's a really cool city.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  16. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

It's not.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  17. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

I meant "Europe", but your interpretation is fine :lol:.
    I think with your XP, going anywhere within the EU will be a no-brainer. Everything's safe, simple, and normally works to some degree.
    Your plan sounds good, but you definitely made the right call there.

That was also part of the "realistically".
    Flying to Rome of Athens, that I can do over a weekend (or a bit longer), and not think much about the planning.
    But flying to Southern America will be a lot more costly, with especially the flight making up a good part of the price. So it needs to be a longer trip, so that requires planning. Also need to think about visa, vaccinations, and that stuff down there potentially is not safe and does not work.

I've had a look at the Galapagos already, because I have friends in Ecuador, who'd be happy if I came by, but as you said, it's basically another trip going there, and not cheap itself. But as a biologist I also cannot not go there if I'm in the vicinity :lol:.

So if I want to go down there (at least one of the mentioned destinations), I will need to sit down and plan carefully. Which I haven't done for most of my other trips :lol:.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah, I will basically feel right at home in most of Europe, probably. I barely got any culture shock in a place like Nepal, so Europe would feel like visiting grandma's house, maybe

When/If you start planning this trip, let me know, and I can help out. I believe the visa will not be an issue, although you should always check to make sure what sort of visa requirements there are for your home country and the visiting country.. All the times I flew down to South America it was always visa on arrival sort of situation. I of course live in Canada, so there might be different requirements.. but from my experience Europeans travelling to South America have it a bit easier than Canadians. Canadians have to pay a silly $100 USD or so "we're exiting the country, let us out plz" fee when deperting home from Chile (and maybe Argentina too). This is of course all anecdotal and maybe out of date information.

Vaccinations won't be much of an issue unless you plan on heading out into the Amazon jungle I believe, in which case you might be asked to show proof of all the relevant vaccinations along the way. On none of my travels to South America were my vaccinations ever checked (or required). I would just walk into a travel clinic (I assume those exist there), and tell them where' you're going. They'll probably show you a map of the country and ask you to point to all the parts where you are thinking of travelling, and will then figure out what vaccinations you need.

If you are dead set on travelling to the Galapagos islands, then your trip would be planned around that. I would look up flights and Galapagos packages at the same time and find a time period that will get you the best deal sort of thing. It might be cheapest to book your flight to the Galapagos right in South America, as opposed to ahead of time, i.e. from home. In South America you can get cheaper internal flights that way. Everything sold online to tourists from western countries is marked up, but if you walk into an airline's office in Santiago or Lima or wherever, they usually have cheaper prices there. That might rely on you being able to speak Spanish though, I'm not sure. When we flew down to Patagonia, we saved about 50% on our flight down to Patagonia this way.. but my travel buddy spoke fluent enough Spanish, so I'm not sure how easy it would be otherwise.

After your galapagos part of your trip and your flight are locked down, I probably wouldn't book anything else aside from a hotel at your first destination for a night or two, to get over the jetlag. Ideally I'd plan things so that you land in South America proper, then right away fly to the Galapagos, or the next day even.. Then when you return to the South American mainland, you can leave yourself however many weeks to do "whatever". South America is generally pretty cheap, so you could then fly to another city or country or do whatever. If you're in Peru then there's a lot of options for tourists in all directions from the capital, pretty much. If you're in Santiago, Chile, there's Valparaiso to travel to for a day trip, and you could probably do 2-3 days in Santiago, but after that.. I don't know enough about the country to say. I would be tempted to say that Peru has more options for tourists near the capital (i.e. a day or so by bus max)

The_J likes this.
  19. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

That's exactly where I was talking about. :huh: Where did I indicate otherwise?

Banff, Jasper, and Yoho National Parks are not available in the U.S. Those are the locations I was thinking about when referencing camping. Of course there are many other locations in the Canadian Rockies where camping is popular, but Banff and Jasper are the most well-known.

Yes, Vancouver is a very cool city for tourist-type things (Synsensa could tell you more than I could, though, as he lives there and I've only been twice, over 30-40 years ago). When I was there we went to various parks, but there are a lot more things to see and do.

20. Birdjaguar

I spent time last winter looking into East Africa and found lots of options. The ranged from a 36 day safari for $3500 (Victoria falls to Uganda) up to $8,000 for 10 days. In addition, since the Great Migration happens over months, when you go will affect which part, if any, of that you will be able to see.

Adding things like seeing the mountain gorillas of Rwanda/Uganda add both time and more money. Since my wife has no interest in traveling, I either go alone or find a companion(s). That takes some coordinating and matching of interests. Most of the safari tours are double occupancy tents. Since so much of seeing actual wildlife requires a knowledgeable guide, some kind of group is probably necessary rather than trying to do it on one's own. Climbing Kilimanjaro would be fun, but I'm past the age where that is worth the risk. Admiring it from a distance is fine with me.

warpus likes this.