Where on Earth?

Which of these areas are your top 3 choices for visiting?

• Northern Europe

• Southern Europe

• Eastern Europe & Russia

• China, Korea & Japan

• SE Asia

• South Pacific

• Canada

• USA

• Central America & Mexico

• South America

• East Africa & South Africa

• India

• North Africa

• Middle East & Iran

• Australia & New Zealand

• Antarctica

• Equatorial Africa

Results are only viewable after voting.
Regarding the Great Migration, I just did it the easy, lazy way. I have a monthly subscription to BBC Earth, and there's a documentary series about it. I don't get the up close, personal, you-are-physically-there aspect of it, but I do get to see a lot of amazing footage and information.

US and Canada mostly.

One of my issues is that my comfort level tells me that a lot of the further trips I wouldn't want to take alone. I'd want some traveling companion(s). And I really don't see any way to make that happen. So those trips are probably going to always be out of reach for me.

There's enough in the US and Canada that I want to see to keep me busy for years to come. Another of my issues is that the big parks in both countries in the Rockies are 4 days travel each way by car. And I'm not so comfortable on my own flying and renting a car. I could, but it's not what I want to do. I want my car. Maybe someday I will. It looks like I'll never get anywhere if I don't go by myself. I'm not really into hot weather places. So maybe northern Europe. :dunno: Probably wouldn't do it alone. Eastern Canada is easy for me, because it's close.

Any (active) volcano will be good. Just as close to Earth "blood" and soul can get :love:
True story here:

A few years ago when my housekeeping helper and I were going through some stuff in a reorganization effort, she came across a small plastic bag of grey ash. She was promptly horrified and asked if she was holding my grandmother's ashes (I'd told her I still had them; I never buried or scattered them as I had no idea where she might have wanted that done).

She was relieved when I told her no, she was holding some ash from Mt. St. Helens. My mother's in-laws from her second marriage happened to be on a trip down there around the time of the eruption, and they scooped up some ash for a souvenir. Fast-forward a few years to when I went to their place with my mother and step-father for Christmas, and they gave me a small portion of it. It's been part of my rock collection ever since.

And by a coincidence, I just ran across it again a few hours ago (I moved in the meantime and am still finding stuff).

To be quite honest, that's as close as I'd ever want to be to a real eruption. It's partly that I respect the fact that this planet has no respect for the lifeforms that live here; whatever it does geologically is what it's going to do, irrespective of our wishes, and I don't want to take risky chances.

The other part is that I have the sort of imagination where I can scare myself just by thinking about it. I went to the theatre with my mother many years ago, and we saw Island at the Top of the World. It included a sequence with a live volcano spewing lava; the scenes with the characters trying to get away from the volcano without falling into the lava nearly had me hiding behind the seat.

Any (active) volcano will be good. Just as close to Earth "blood" and soul can get :love:
The Hawaiian ones are pretty safe to visit. The next time Kilauea erupts, I plan on going to watch.

I already live in South America and I used to live in Northern Europe so I've already done those

ideally I'd visit all of them. I was tempted to add the US as an option since I know a lot of people who live there and there are some strong pulls, but it's also a very difficult and hostile country to be in so what won out was China/Korea/Japan, Southeast Asia and Antarctica

Scotland, Norway. Then we are promised a trip to Stockholm.

This lady in 70s I went to art exhibition with last saturday insisted I go to Japan even if I have been there like for a lot of time. Since I know how I look and how japanese treat foreigners I will go there only if directly invited.

I was invited to UK once in this lifetime and it was a decent trip.

... is Carmen Sandiego . :]

Spoiler :
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to post a reference to this. :D

I used to watch the kids' game show, back in the '90s. Fun fact: Rockapella is still together, still performing, though I think there's only one left of the original group that was on Carmen Sandiego.

This version of the theme song is the longest I've heard, and since it's from 1991, it's somewhat outdated:

Rockapella has some videos on YouTube, from a couple of their concerts, and there are numerous episodes of the kids' show available.

I've always wanted to go to Antarctica but not just on a cruise, I really want to go there and see the interior. I would also like to see Iceland and New Zealand.
If you want to see the penguins, I understand that their colonies can be rather smelly. Some species build their nests out of rocks, but others build them out of guano.

Going back 20 years, there was a worldwide celebration of the turn of the century, with each time zone providing an entertainment of some sort. It was broadcast on TV, and I tried to stay awake for all 24 time zones (I fell asleep from exhaustion shortly after "Morning" was played on some oil drums on an offshore rig in the North Sea; the musicians did a really good job). So I missed the rest of Europe and part of Asia, but I'm happy that I didn't miss the South Pole. Unlike in the Arctic, you can really stand at the South Pole and be in all 24 time zones simultaneously. Just imagine that you're standing there, and various parts of your body could be 12 hours apart, if you stretch yourself out a bit.

It included a sequence with a live volcano spewing lava; the scenes with the characters trying to get away from the volcano without falling into the lava nearly had me hiding behind the seat.

Bah, that ain't nothing. Most of the people who died in Pompeii were baked alive from the heat. :devil:

I'd very much like to go back to SE Asia, I was there in 2016 and loved it. I'd like to feel the tropics, smell the air, and taste the food again. Just a cool ass place. As someone who loves ginormous cities, I'd also like to see Tokyo. Finally, I think some sort of Caribbean trip would be pretty cool, hopping from island to island, and that one at least isn't on the other side of the world. However, I promised my wife a trip to Scotland some day (her family originates from there) so a Scotland and maybe Ireland trip will have to round out my top three. Plus think of all the Scotch I'd get to try. Oh man. Gonna come back from that trip permanently hungover.

While they didn't crack my top 3, I wouldn't mind seeing Paris again, but I've been to Europe twice so I think that's a backburner one for me. I'd also not mind returning to Australia again, mostly because they have amazing sunsets and I'd love to snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef one more time before we bleach it to death. I'd also like to see Morocco or Egypt some day. Ah well.

Top Bottom