Where should I place my new city?

kaspergm

Deity
Ok, so I need a bit of input here. I have found this *really* awesome settling spot (and had a barb crosbowman gobble up a byzantian settler heading here, and then reclaimed it as a worker for myself, snicker :D) ... anyway, I have a bit of doubt where to settle. My first intuition was the suggested site where the settler is now, but then I had my doubts, I figured I might want to settle another city south of the horses (3 x fish + horses + cattle) so maybe these two cities will be too close, and I better move north and settle either on the sheep or on the marble. What would you guys advice?

Spoiler :

Sorry for the small picture, but photobucket auto-resizes my images when doing full-screen screenshots, very annoying.

I would settle right where the settler is right now. Observatory later (due to the mountain) will be awesome due the high pop you will have, as it looks like you will reach 3 fish and cattle, plus farming the grasslands. Production MAY be an issue, but maybe you could get ironworks there or run a trade route or two there (or maybe even settle a GE if you get desperate).

On marble : fast happiness + observatory + 3 camp first ring + 3 stone + 1 or 2 fish + 1 rice (???) + plenty grassland.
Also on rice (what is this ?) : 3 luxs and plenty cash to have them rapidly.

A question : how spoiler works ? You need to upload picture on another site and copy the link ?

That location looks pretty amazing to me, actually. The mountain's a big plus, and there's a ton of food around. Also, production shouldn't be an issue; get a Stoneworks and all three Stone tiles plus the Marble will give +1 Production. Throw in a Stable for Production from the horses, sheep, and Cattle, and a Lighthouse for those Fish and that city will be up and running in no time.

Also on rice (what is this ?) : 3 luxs and plenty cash to have them rapidly.
Rice is a bonus recource from a mod I'm using, it works like Wheat, but on freshwater grassland and marshes. This means epic food (6 food when developed).

About spoiler tags, put them around either picture links (to pictures on other sites) or text to hide the content until expanded.

I would settle right where the settler is right now. Observatory later (due to the mountain) will be awesome due the high pop you will have, as it looks like you will reach 3 fish and cattle, plus farming the grasslands. Production MAY be an issue, but maybe you could get ironworks there or run a trade route or two there (or maybe even settle a GE if you get desperate).

Will hammers really be an issue, with two stones and a marble with sheep in easy reach (and another stone, horses and cattle with growth)? Plus, I thought you couldn't get ironworks unless the city has improved iron within its borders.

A bonus to this location is that it looks awfully tough to siege from the north. I'd plant where you are, because I don't often care if my cities are too close to each other. :p

I forgot about stables adding production. I now agree that you'll be fine on production if you settle in place.

Also, the only requirement for ironworks is a workshop in all cities. You can build ironworks in any city you want once you complete all your workshops.

Also, the only requirement for ironworks is a workshop in all cities. You can build ironworks in any city you want once you complete all your workshops.

Mistook it for the forge, thanks. :goodjob:

I take it this is a war city so you can attack Theodora. If so I'd put it on the forested hill 3 tiles to the north-east so your city is facing Theo.
No, as you can (perhaps) see from the minimap, I started immediately north of Theodora, so I share land borders with her, so that is not a concern.

I ended up settling the originally sugested location. Hard to say if it was best location, but pretty cool city.
Spoiler :

(Also paid Theodora a visit after she finally got around to build Great Mosque of Djenne ... for me. :D

Another pretty awesome city location a little further to the south of the one discussed above:
Spoiler :

2xGBR + 3xFish + Furs + Deer

On the Original Post:
Wow; the AI logic actually picking an excelent city spot. :goodjob:
Settle the city in place.

Top Bottom