Where should we settle the next 2 cities?

Where should we settle the next 2 cities?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noldodan

2 years of waiting...
Please, vote for 2 sites and 2 sites only! The reason is that with some of the sites so close together, you might want to vote for both to make sure that area gets settled quickly. Here's the discussion link, and here's the map:

More explanation for the poll: If the 2 sites with the most votes are in the same area (1 and 5; 7, 2 and 6; 8 and 3) the the site with the most votes gets settled first, and the site with the 3rd most votes gets settled second. Red sites proposed by me, blue sites proposed by invy, and yellow sites proposed by Sir Donald III.

I would say six and four right now. Two wouldn't get the hill for defense and would get too many desert tiles for no reason.

I didn't propose site 5 :) but i did site 6. Site 5 lacks info so it is risky adventure. I would like to suggest to blackhearts position 2 tiles north of the position 5 (on the hill, next to the floodplain and gold).

Since Wine city will probably be one of the next two cities i would like to sugest position 6 as better than position 2:

It gets Wine, Cattle, floods, river and is built on hill. It doesn't have desert tiles like position 2 and can use plain tile (which pos 2 would 'waste') for growth which will allow bigger city growth and better usage of hills.
It is border city with Zulu and have 50% defensive bonus unlike position 2 (dont underestimate this advantage because spearman in this city is strong as pikeman).
It doesn't overlap borders with our others cities. Can be used to culturally press Hiobane -notice that Hiobane can't grow large (thus will produce slowly) so it may flip to us. Plus add that Zulu isn't strong builder civilization.
Finally, has good combination of food and mineral production to be well productive city.

My second choice is position 4. Great position, which is also logical step to silks and eastern land.

I put my other vote, in addition to 2, as 6, we will still lose some Northern tiles to Hlobane, so I prefer desert tiles (future oil-tiles?) to building cities close together.
We will probably conquer Hlobane anyways later on, so wasting tiles is not my interest.
6 is better than 7 under all circumstances.

4 & 2. And I would like 2 to be done first, so my beloved Odawara can export something (wines). :p

Abstain, public poll.

-- Ravensfire

I vote 4 and 6. For the border city with the Zulu, I like that it has hills and river defense bonus. 4 Seems a natural was to drive towards that Eastern seaboard, the iron, and the fertile land out there

Voted for 6 and 12.

Why 6 instead of 7, you may ask?

Well, the arguments of invy convinced me. Plus, it gives me the chance to go back full circle, back before Hlobane was settled.

In any event, Hlobane should never grow beyond Size 8, (9 after rails,) so no tiles to waste.

I don't think we will "flip" Hlobane, but we should be able to stay ahead in the Culture War, if we go Temple First thing.

As for 12, come on guys... Babylon won't let those Horses and Iron slide forever. They will cross the mountains one day, you'll see...

In the unlikely event that Site 10 wins, the DA or DP has discression on the city placement. (As either site would have only 2-3 Productive tiles anyway...)

I voted for 6 because it has hills for a good defensible position. I also voted other. Please go to this link here. It has an outlined proposal for 3 cities. I am puzzled why this poll doesn't include any plans to settle to the north.

alex_t said:
Other!

What about the iron side in the east proposed in this thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=97797 ?

None of the proposed sides represents an outside-in-expansion. All sides are close to our border. :thumbdown
This is as much outside in as we can get without having our cities cut off. While outside in is a good strategy, some cities will be left to fend for themselves cut off from the rest, which makes for a bad day during war.

Originally posted by blackheart This is as much outside in as we can get without having our cities cut off. While outside in is a good strategy, some cities will be left to fend for themselves cut off from the rest, which makes for a bad day during war.
Again. The main idea is to steel the iron before Romans get it, and not making the site a prospering city asap. The outcome is an strategic advantage vs. the Romans. Even if we are not looking for war we could trade the iron to Rome and we will have silks in the future!

alex_t said:
Again. The main idea is to steel the iron before Romans get it, and not making the site a prospering city asap. The outcome is an strategic advantage vs. the Romans. Even if we are not looking for war we could trade the iron to Rome and we will have silks in the future!

If Rome didn't have iron, why trade when we can crush them :D. I like the idea of taking their resources from them, but by the time we probably get there Rome will already have a city up as well.

Originally posted by blackheart
I like the idea of taking their resources from them, but by the time we probably get there Rome will already have a city up as well.
The site is 8 or 9 tiles away from our settler in Immo. I say we can make it! No risk no fun! :D

btw those two famous tiles of desert will be in our borders anyway, they just won't be used by cities. I would rather have two hills tiles than two deserts. And even if we conquer Hiobane it can't grow much so our city will have all available squares. Losing tile or two to Hiobane now won't have any effect probably until late middle or industrial age.

I think we should consider another thing too:
First city which will be built should be Wine city because most people wants position 2 or 6 to get Wines. Wine city solely would probably won but people are casting votes on 2 different locations. Second, although probably winner, flood plain city would be built after Wine city.

Top Bottom