1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to plant you Great Person

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by terveurn, Feb 6, 2013.

1. terveurn

terveurn Warlord

Has anyone made up a chart showing the best place to put the Special Improvement for Great Artists, Engineers, Merchants, Prophets and Scientists.

ie for the Great Engineer / Manufactory what terrain with and without improvement and best vs worse

2. jddods

jddods Prince

never on a lux, you lose it.
    great on an unimproved iron hex, you get the iron, same for horses but i prefer to pasture those.
    riverside is good.
    john

3. AlazkanAssassin

AlazkanAssassin Engineer

I never put them on a river, unless I have too many river tiles, since then I'll lose the extra food the farm produces with fresh water. [until fertilizer of course]

4. Hustapha Thool

Hustapha Thool Warlord

Sometimes the best place is where you have the room...

Sometimes the best place may be a desert tile because you have desert folklore and plenty of food tiles.

It is just so situational overall.

The hardest choices for me is when I play Babylon and pop the early GS and my borders have not grown. Do I purchase that grass tile?

5. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Remember that you have to feed the citizen working the tile improvement. If it is a tile improvement you want to work for the entire game, best tiles are those that generate excess food and still benefit from a food or production boost from a building, like wheat tiles that still benefit from a granary, or cows, which still get stable benefits (need a pasture to build the stable but not on an ongoing basis). Next best are non-river grassland or marsh tiles (tile improvement eliminates the marsh), which, as noted above, aren't terribly useful until you research Fertilizer.

Desert is usually a bad choice, since you need a 4 food tile somewhere to support the citizen working the 4 food tile and the citizen working the desert tile. Getting 1 faith from the desert tile (Desert Folklore) doesn't swing that equation much IMO.

6. jddods

jddods Prince

Thanks going to revise my placement going forward.
    cheers
    john

7. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

If you're going warmonger and all the AI's will hate you (so few trading opportunities), planting a Great Person on a luxury improvement (which you already have), makes sense. However, if you do lots of trading (like I do), it's not worth giving up a luxury.

Planting them on a bonus resource is possible (though I personally don't normally do it). Also note that for some beliefs, having the exact improvement (pasture/plantation) is necessary for the bonus.

As for flat/hills or river/non-river, a lot of it depends on what tiles are available. If there are plenty of production or food tiles or very scarce production/food, then it's a factor.

If there's very little production, I will plant a Manufactory on flat land that can't be mined, rather than the one hill which can. If there are few food/river tiles, I will save those to be farmed, but if there are plenty of food/river tiles, I will plant a Great Person on a river tile just to get the extra gold per turn (since I will usually be working the tile).

8. sufficiency

sufficiency King

It's actually pretty easy.

If you have a lot of population, you should plant it on a worthless tile (e.g. tundra desert snow) because it makes a worthless tile worthwhile.

If you don't have a lot of population (often from Liberty finisher), you should plant it on the best tile possible (e.g. river, strategic resources, etc.) because you won't need to use the worthless tiles anyway.

9. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

Sheep are ideal because they are equivalent to dry farms on a 1f2h tile