where to save edited xml files

CrazyAce

Prince
I was wondering before I dive into editing the XML files, I don't want to overwrite any file and was wondering if saving an xml to \\...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Assets\Gameplay\XML\Units while keeping the file structure intact would allow me to use the edited file?

in civ4 you could do this, with one minor exception; it would be MODS\YOURMODNAME\Assets... ect. I'm not exactly sure how all these mod tools are going to work, but it does not currently work like that. Already tried.

Ok I see where you are going with this. I downloaded Queen of the Iceni (v 2) mod and the file structure is how you explain it.

Problem is that I won't be able to play a newly created mod without overwriting the game files, due to not being able to create a proper .modinfo file to load the mod.

Does this mean that I can't copy an xml-file, edit it, then place it in some kind of mod folder, and have it override the original file?

Do I have to edit the original files?

no, you can use a mod folder, with a custom .modinfo file.

Right and you need the mod tool kit to create the modinfo file. Otherwise it may mess something up if another modinfo file is edited. I only posted this topic to find a work around until the tool kit comes out.

Actually, you do not need to follow a folder structure inside the MODS folder. The modinfo file contains the path to the files so the game knows where each file is located.

Right and you need the mod tool kit to create the modinfo file.
no, you can edit this file manually, I've done it :D

just change the mod ID to something personal and use a tool to calculate the MD5 of your files.

Wow :faint: editing an md5 check sum is way too much work than it is worth. To us humans it doesn't make sense. I do imagine there is a utility available that can calculate a file structure to convert it to this weird random number system, it reminds me of editing files on the iPhone. :assimilate:

:edit:

Thanx for the info link Dale:

http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/ent...eart-is-through-his-modinfo-and-civ5mod-files.

:edit2:

Ha nevermind the above statement about editing a md5 hash, its actually easy as pie, I'm using the below hash generator:
http://www.md5hashgenerator.com/

it works for me.

Top Bottom