[R&F] Where to trade from?

nathanvjbrown

Chieftain
Hey all, very simple question really regarding trade.

In short, how should I structure my trade network? Should I build a city that is focused on min-maxing gpt and use it as trade hub or does it not matter? And what's your opinions on internal vs external routes? I know they're important to set up roads but is that +1 food +1 production really worth sacrificing around +5gpt early game?

is that +1 food +1 production really worth sacrificing around +5gpt early game?
If you consider that 2 gold = 1 production then the +5 GPT is tempting. It is not always that simple.

There are a lot of cards benefiting foreign trading routes, production drops in value as a city grows and science/culture benefits are worth more than production ones.
Do not get me wrong, a road between cities in the right place can be vital.
If a city has a harbour, CH, Plaza, IZ then a trade route of +5 production can really speed up a new city.
A trade route to get an envoy can be invaluable at any time during a game it the situation is right.
A trace route to get +5 combat over your neighbor is also pretty awesome (until the traders start coming toward you)

So you see it is not simple. Anyone that always does it one way or another is likely to be missing out.
Foreign ones seem to have better benefits overall in the long run (especially to a commercial CS later on) but it does just depend. Certainly the value of food drops off later but there are strats around a +5 food trade route.

Thank You Victoria!

This is what is wrong with my game.
I want an all around basic strategy that I do every time to make it work.
However you have explained it well that each situation is different and one way is far better in one game compared to the next.
Versatility is key it appears and being able to spot the values will skyrocket ones game!

Thanks for your detailed answer! It's actually been very useful and I've been less stressed on min-maxing gold or whatever and looking at the situation as a whole a bit more. I just have one more question regarding the spread of religion. I was lucky enough to start a game with 11 AI, found the first religion (on emperor no less) and be surrounded by 3 AI empires who never founded their own empire, 1 who did (but was at war with the neighbouring Mongols and even had a city razed by Preslav, lol). I decided to send my traders to one AI, hoping to slowly convert some civilians before my missionaries reached him. However, the city received a measly 2 religious pressure per turn, and it would have been hundreds of turns before a trader made a difference.

So my question is, when is it useful to send traders for religious pressure? Is this only when a city needs a bit more pressure to not passively convert to a strong neighbouring religion, or is there a place for it in spreading your religion overseas?

On a more general point, I do love my Great Zimbabwe. Apart from a trade benefit it's a great spy honey trap.

So I tend to try to found a city early with cows, a Commercial Hub and a space for Great Zimbabwe.

I'm going to suggest something totally shocking here. Yiou can use Magnus for something other than max chopping!!!

+2 food in origin city can be useful. I know Victoria has posted previously about the limitted usefulness of large cities but it can help new cities grow, poor food cities grow and, of course, there's the population limit on distict building.

But as Victoria said there are many things to consider and it's not a one size fits all situation. That is what makes the game so rich and interesting.

Top Bottom