Where to tweak ruins?

Novntis

Chieftain
Hey all. Long time lurker here (I really only post for bug fixes...). I've been playing with CBP and JFD's Exploration Continued Expanded stably for quite a while on a version of CBP from a few months ago. I recently upgraded my mod loadout to the most recent version of CBP and JFD's ExCE to try out some of the new features, but alas there are some compatibility problems with ExCE on the new CBP version.

By far the most annoying of these weird interactions has to do with ruins promoting ai units to cossacks, tanks, etc. (industrial units) in the early game. JFD knows about this problem from a post on ExCE's thread and is no doubt working out a solution for the next release, but in the meantime I was wondering if there was a way to modify ruin bonuses in the CBP to eliminate unit upgrades. I'd prefer not to disable ruins outright (they're too fun), but obviously that works right now too.

Thanks! :c5happy:

Hello!

CP related options here:

Mods\Community Patch (v 66)\Core Files\Core Values\GoodyHuts.sql + xml

and everything else there:

Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML\GameInfo\CIV5GoodyHuts.xml

Since CP doesn't alter the unit upgrades (iirc), you'd have to create a small mod.
If you don't know how it works, I could create one.
Um.. soonish. ^^

Thanks for info and the offer! I think this is probably a bit too complicated for me to do myself (I've never used mod buddy before). I'm not quite sure which goody bonus to remove in the xml, because it appears that there are multiple options for unit upgrades (are the duplicates for the shoshone ruin selection menu?) and I don't want to delete anything actually unrelated on accident...

Thanks! :)

Thanks for info and the offer! I think this is probably a bit too complicated for me to do myself (I've never used mod buddy before). I'm not quite sure which goody bonus to remove in the xml, because it appears that there are multiple options for unit upgrades (are the duplicates for the shoshone ruin selection menu?) and I don't want to delete anything actually unrelated on accident...

Thanks! :)

You are welcome, so should I just disable unit upgrades from ruins?

edit:
Oh wait, ExCE is overhauling ruins in general, right? Because of the exploration part?! (sorry, I've never played with this mod so far I must admit)
I'll have to take a look there then!

Hmmm. This all very interesting. I've been playing around with IGE and it seems that instead of starting with scouts, ai civs are starting with don cossacks (a ExCE tribe consulate unit). I'm not sure if this is normal behavior, but those units are able to upgrade into landships when they pick unit upgrade in the goody huts (isn't there a unit era cap so that late game units don't upgrade? perhaps the custom units aren't being tagged properly?). Regardless, it seems like half of the solution is just getting rid of unit upgrades from ruins and I'm content with deleting the don cossacks at the start of my games with IGE for now.

I believe ExCE does interact with ruins in order for the late game shipwreck goody huts to work, but I'm not sure if that means it would be changing regular ruins or just referencing the vanilla ruins. I figure that if CP doesn't change the ruin bonuses, ExCE (dependent on CP) shouldn't either. I'm guessing it just modifies the placement for shipwrecks just as the CP seems to modify ruin placement and frequency.

I would definitely recommend checking ExCE out once it is more stable. Now that I've played so much with it, I don't want to play without it, even if it is rather broken right now. It blends in pretty well with the CP/CBP changes and overall adds more character to the game.

Hmmm. This all very interesting. I've been playing around with IGE and it seems that instead of starting with scouts, ai civs are starting with don cossacks (a ExCE tribe consulate unit). I'm not sure if this is normal behavior, but those units are able to upgrade into landships when they pick unit upgrade in the goody huts (isn't there a unit era cap so that late game units don't upgrade? perhaps the custom units aren't being tagged properly?). Regardless, it seems like half of the solution is just getting rid of unit upgrades from ruins and I'm content with deleting the don cossacks at the start of my games with IGE for now.

I believe ExCE does interact with ruins in order for the late game shipwreck goody huts to work, but I'm not sure if that means it would be changing regular ruins or just referencing the vanilla ruins. I figure that if CP doesn't change the ruin bonuses, ExCE (dependent on CP) shouldn't either. I'm guessing it just modifies the placement for shipwrecks just as the CP seems to modify ruin placement and frequency.

I would definitely recommend checking ExCE out once it is more stable. Now that I've played so much with it, I don't want to play without it, even if it is rather broken right now. It blends in pretty well with the CP/CBP changes and overall adds more character to the game.

Every unit has an assigned upgrade class in its base XML. You just need to tell JFD about this quirk (as it has nothing to do with the CBP).

You can disable goody hut types - look at the goodyhuts.xml file and use sql to edit the upgrade hut out of all difficulty levels.

Couldn't find a more suited thread for goody huts, so I'll leave this here.

I had an idea on how to buff map revealing goody huts the other day. Perhaps they could be programmed to reveal a natural wonder if there is one in a certain radius around your capital. That could create a strategy of rushing a settler to get that wonder very quickly.

Otherwise I don't see much use for these goody huts at the moment as revealing a nearby neighbour doesn't have an impact on gameplay, unless a city state is revealed. At least you get some yields and quests earlier for revealing those.

Top Bottom