Where Will You Be When the Jackbooted Non-Fascists Come for You

attackfighter

Emperor
Knowing history is the key to forming arbitrary theories about the future. If you read every book in the dystopian genre you would understand that. Humanism is the belief that humans are smart enough to think things that are good. That is why there are certain people who are acclaimed as great humanists, who are thought to have done lots of good things by thinking about stuff. They give speeches with ironic jokes about dead humanists going to heaven and everyone laughs. Not all people who have thought about things and were thought to have been smart were humanists. Every idea that has been thought to be good has had lots of other ideas that were thought to be good that contradicted it. Were you to be captured by the thought police for enabling a Dead White Male Scientist Patriarchy to perpetuate scientific things, you would see what I mean. They would attach a cage with rats in one chamber of the cage to your head, with your head in the other chamber, then threaten to open the chamber door so that the rats could get to the chamber where your head was in and eat your head, unless you gave them an answer they insinuated they wanted you to give them. We have to too many ideas to pay much attention to many. Lots of ideas are forgotten because there are too many to think about. Ideas can only be valuable in societies that do not have technology that can transmit ideas quickly, because in societies that can transmit ideas quickly there are too many ideas to value ideas. Once you gave the people who attached the cage to your head the information they wanted, you would be a broken man or woman and you would be sent to a bar where you would drink alcohol as a television screen behind you reported a victory that might have been fabricated, but would have been hollow to you either way, because the war it occurred in was known by you to be pointless, then after the report finished the television would display a picture of your symbolic leader and you would at that point tragically signify your irrevocable renunciation of your partner by announcing allegiance to your leader instead, then the camera would frame you with the television displaying your leader behind you and slowly zoom out while a sad song played as you stared into the camera, while holding a glass of alcohol.

attackfighter = National treasure!

Isn't attackfighter kind of like r16, but without the i and I business and also without knowledge of paragraphs? Maybe it's my stupid brain, but for the life of God I cannot understand what those two are saying.

Where Will You Be When the Jackbooted Non-Fascists Come for You
Spit shining my jackbooted non-fascist boots. Don't worry, you don't need to tell me where you'll be. We already know. Just sit tight, we'll be there momentarily.

Knowing history is the key to forming arbitrary theories about the future. If you read every book in the dystopian genre you would understand that. Humanism is the belief that humans are smart enough to think things that are good. That is why there are certain people who are acclaimed as great humanists, who are thought to have done lots of good things by thinking about stuff. They give speeches with ironic jokes about dead humanists going to heaven and everyone laughs. Not all people who have thought about things and were thought to have been smart were humanists. Every idea that has been thought to be good has had lots of other ideas that were thought to be good that contradicted it. Were you to be captured by the thought police for enabling a Dead White Male Scientist Patriarchy to perpetuate scientific things, you would see what I mean. They would attach a cage with rats in one chamber of the cage to your head, with your head in the other chamber, then threaten to open the chamber door so that the rats could get to the chamber where your head was in and eat your head, unless you gave them an answer they insinuated they wanted you to give them. We have to too many ideas to pay much attention to many. Lots of ideas are forgotten because there are too many to think about. Ideas can only be valuable in societies that do not have technology that can transmit ideas quickly, because in societies that can transmit ideas quickly there are too many ideas to value ideas. Once you gave the people who attached the cage to your head the information they wanted, you would be a broken man or woman and you would be sent to a bar where you would drink alcohol as a television screen behind you reported a victory that might have been fabricated, but would have been hollow to you either way, because the war it occurred in was known by you to be pointless, then after the report finished the television would display a picture of your symbolic leader and you would at that point tragically signify your irrevocable renunciation of your partner by announcing allegiance to your leader instead, then the camera would frame you with the television displaying your leader behind you and slowly zoom out while a sad song played as you stared into the camera, while holding a glass of alcohol.
Yeah, I saw the 1984 movie with John Hurt, too. :coffee:

Isn't attackfighter kind of like r16, but without the i and I business and also without knowledge of paragraphs? Maybe it's my stupid brain, but for the life of God I cannot understand what those two are saying.

And I thought it was just me. r16, though, is notoriously difficult to understand. I've frankly given up on trying.

Yet, Attackfighter is much harder. He writes in joined up sentences and I've always got the feeling that it's my fault I don't have a clue what he's saying.

However, I do recognise the Room 101 scenario. Are we sure it isn't Mr Fighter who's placing the rat cage on our heads?

And for some reasons unknown, both of them have paranoia about someone oppressing them. It's quite curious why so many people have this delusion.

is
this
irony.

See, your problem is you showed your hand on the fourth post.

You have to let people stew a little. Can't be to fast on the draw.

At least that's what my ladyfriend tells me.

And for some reasons unknown, both of them have paranoia about someone oppressing them. It's quite curious why so many people have this delusion.

Most people are oppressed, so that isn't paranoia. Of course, oppression isn't an external thing, so the 'someone oppressing them' part is delusional.

So, by what I've gathered by your post, they're deluding themselves into oppression? How does that work?

So, by what I've gathered by your post, they're deluding themselves into oppression? How does that work?

Mostly automatically.

Ask anyone why they do anything that they do...if their answer doesn't amount to 'because I have to' immediately, ask a follow up 'why?' Within a couple levels you will arrive at 'I have to' just about every time.

Why do you go to work?

A perfectly accurate answer that is frequently given is "I have to pay my bills". An equally accurate answer because it says the exact same thing is "I like to buy stuff". Which one do people keep on the tip of their tongue? Which one indicates that they have any choice in the matter of going to work? Since both answers are accurate, why is it that people invariably give the one that implies they have no choice?

Consider that the opposite of oppression is responsibility.

The usual M.O. is to come for you in the night so I'll probably be in bed when they come.

Mostly automatically.

Ask anyone why they do anything that they do...if their answer doesn't amount to 'because I have to' immediately, ask a follow up 'why?' Within a couple levels you will arrive at 'I have to' just about every time.

Why do you go to work?

A perfectly accurate answer that is frequently given is "I have to pay my bills". An equally accurate answer because it says the exact same thing is "I like to buy stuff". Which one do people keep on the tip of their tongue? Which one indicates that they have any choice in the matter of going to work? Since both answers are accurate, why is it that people invariably give the one that implies they have no choice?

Consider that the opposite of oppression is responsibility.

But this is just the effect of continually asking "Why?". Very small children know how to do this perfectly.

All it means is that there's no ultimate reason for anything. We simply don't the why of it. Any of it.

And in the face of this kind of ignorance, what choice do we have? And we do have a choice to make, I think.

mumble, mumble, cryptofascists, mumble...

An even better reading (or variation) would be:

"The moment they come for me i will be placed right behind them and allowed to come for them".

Or it would be, but in English it has unfortunate secondary meanings i suppose..

Top Bottom