1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Where'd the old players go?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Undefeatable, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Undefeatable

Undefeatable Chieftain

This is sort of a weird question/none of my business, but...some members that used to frequent the forums have since dissapeared into nowhere, and I'm sorta curious where they went. @elmurcis, @Seraiel, @Pangaea, and @madscientist seem to be four of the main people who went MiA, and I'm sorta bummed to see them stop contributing to this (seemingly) ever-dwindling community.

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Although madscientist actually popped in recently he has not been around the IV forums in quite some years. He moved on to V and VI.

Cereal left intentionally and stated so when he was leaving. I think he just moved on to other games.

Pangaea, I think, just taking a break, which he does from time to time. Probably same for elmurcis.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  3. civfanchambers

civfanchambers Chieftain

While I may not be one of the oldest members, I have been around since December 2013. Haven't posted much lately because I have spent the last 2 years playing No Man's Sky and Elder Scrolls Online.

4. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

A better question might be, what can be done to lure people back to this forum? Or is it inevitable that in a forum dedicated to a 10+ year old game, traffic will eventually dwindle away to nothing?

I have seen all the ones you mentioned lately except Cereal. For me, the old players are people like TheMeInTeam, Obsolete, VoiceofUnreason, Lemon Merchant, and PieceofMind.

plasmacannon likes this.
  5. Undefeatable

Undefeatable Chieftain

I got in touch with TMIT on reddit a week ago. Says he's moved on to new games mostly (including FTL) though he does visit here once in a blue moon. And LM still mods obviously. As for everyone else...I have no idea either. Especially sad to see Cereal leave since his guides helped a lot and he inspired me to try mara corps space as a way of life.

I guess a lot of people aren't aware just how good this game is. When they hear IV they think "old school, worse graphics than V (not really even true) == outdated game", and "stacks are bullexcrement." These stereotypes are very hard to break; I got through to like 2 people by pasting a wall of text on the strategic depth and superiority of IV but most people just don't want to listen.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Imp. Knoedel likes this.
  6. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Smarticus Pantsidae Moderator

There are some active older players in the modding forums like StrategyOnly, Walter Hawkwood, Keldath, and others. ruff_hi makes an appearance now and then. Sadly, I don't think EmperorFool is with us any longer, but I would love to be corrected on that. The last time I spoke with him was about four years ago, and he was very very ill. I hope for the best, but fear the worst.

I'm still actively playing, but not modding anymore. A lightning strike destroyed my backup and SVN servers as well as my main modding computer so I lost all of my BAT code. I have fragments left, but it's not worth it to rebuild as not that many people are playing anymore. That, and moderating is taking up a fair amount of my time. It's sad to see the decline of this forum. This place used to hop back in the day. Even the Civ6 forum isn't as busy as the BTS forum used to be. I find that a little tragic.

7. Ringo Kid

Ringo Kid Chieftain

I am so old I am collecting Social Security. Been on the forum more than a few years, though I read more than post. I play the game at least once a week. Still love it, have loved it since CIV 1. Only thing I have played that compares, for me, are the other civs 2 & 3 and SMAC, but I no longer have those games. Unless maybe they are on Steam.

8. Gr8scott

Gr8scott Chieftain

Well, this old player is still having lots of fun playing this game! I have been working on the challenge series with my son (Swordnboard). Who knew it would be so much fun arguing over whether or not an archer rush would work with Churchill! Anyway, if you have kids, teach them to play...you wont be sorry :)

Tonny likes this.
  9. Major Tom

Major Tom Immortal Supporter

I dont post so mutch, but follow whats going on daily, except when work load is burdening. Found cfc when IV was released and enjoyed the development in mods that came along. Thanks to Lemon Merchant, ruff_hi and many others. Now try to enter the HoF/QM club after years of enjoying playing random starts and leaders (and still do as the game get more interesting then).

Undefeatable and lymond like this.
  10. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Chieftain

Real Life got to me as much as anything. But in the past, Civ was an escape from it. It gave me a sense of control when I lacked that IRL. I think that was the part of the power of the game. My life is pretty good, mostly. Complaining here about the wrong turn the series took seemed to be a source of negativity I didn't need. Now that I think bout it, Civ would be a welcome escape from American politics, that has since become a time sink.

Quintillus and Undefeatable like this.
  11. dorkynorky

dorkynorky Chieftain

I was playing IV back in the 2005-2009 time period and definitely spent time reading and checking forums to learn to play better. When I got V, I stopped visiting forums so much. It didn't take as much info to be successful. After getting VI last year, I was so disappointed that I bought IV again and now I am back at CivFanatics trying to relearn how to play. I don't have a lot to offer in terms of advice, but I'd just say that I appreciate the advice given by those who are still playing and posting for IV.

lymond, Major Tom and Undefeatable like this.
  12. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Chieftain

Same. As well as AbsoluteZero, and Rolo.
    I know Rolo's been gone for a while now. lymond mentioned it about 3 years ago.
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/honorable-victory-sg.522621/page-5#post-13717424
    AZ hasn't posted in 2 years.

I've been mostly on the Realism Invictus mod's section. I felt Walter improved the base BTS game enough that I really saw no reason to switch back to the poorer graphics, fewer units/UUs/UBs/traits/leaders and just overall detail.
    I never cared for the 1UPT versions of Civ and it seems the AI isn't being improved much with each new Civilization game. Such a disappointment. So many complaints about 6, especially for the price nowadays. I hope when Civ7 is made, that the players complaints are addressed, but I'm not holding my breath. ;(

13. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Similar to those reasons mentioned above. I try to check in at least 1x/week or so, but real life happens.
    On the plus side, I occasionally get to teach the Grandkids some Civ basics, when they're not to engrossed on their phones that is. At least my boys and I still play about every other month or so online. But, unfortunately, RL always seems to get in the way.

14. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Smarticus Pantsidae Moderator

I notice that my supply of cookies has really dropped off too. Darn RL.

15. Undefeatable

Undefeatable Chieftain

Can I take over as mod? I promise that in order to ensure continuing stability and prosperity, this forum will be REORGANIZED into the FIRST CIV EMPIRE...for a safe and secure societehhhhh!

On a more serious note...yeah, RL gets in the way for me too. It's a shame so many old players have left us; we can only imagine what amazement they would've felt upon seeing the new strategies developed in their absence. I remember it was not so long ago when people were struggling with IMM isolation with a gems cap, and/or slowbuilding courthouses everywhere and wondering why their economy still wasn't taking off (I'd know because I was one of these people :lol:). It'd be like time-traveling to the 1850s and introducing modern technology...

16. ringwraith18

ringwraith18 Chieftain

Well, I'm still around.

17. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

I had so much fun modding the gamecore that I actually started on a 5 year programming education (Data-technician with programming in specialty).

Currently on my 3rd year, busy single handedly designing, planning and programming a web server/sql server with data- and statistics management system, integrating and pulling data from some of the biggest google platforms regarding online marketing, such as Google Analytics, Adwords, My Business and Search Console, for the biggest hosting company in Denmark.
    Life could be worse ;) But it doesnt leave much time for gaming...

18. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Hey! I'm still here...

19. rah

rah Chieftain Supporter

I met a modder on-line and talked him into coming to work for me and gave him an opportunity as a developer. He has since moved on and makes over 6 digits.

plasmacannon and Quintillus like this.
  20. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

It's way of life. People move on. Others keep playing as there are not as many fun other games to keep mind engaged. Need to focus. I think SGOTM help keep civ 4 going too. Still people finding out new things about this game.

I wonder how many here actually still play likes of Civ 2 and 3 now? From 5 and 6 you come back. For others you move on.