1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Wherefore art thou Terraforming?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Karlsen, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Karlsen

Karlsen Chieftain

Is it just me or does anyone else miss terraforming that was present in Civ I and Civ II?

Sure it might have appeared a little too early in the tech tree in previous versions, but I don't see why it has been removed. It could have been bumped a little further towards future tech and left in.

There are just so many places where I can't get a city above 2 population with natural growth and without terraforming they are going to stay that way forever.

In Civ II it gave those bored engineers something to do in later stages of the game, it would be equally useful in Civ III for the bored workers and would substantially improve the quality of life for citizens in cities built in low quality terrain.

I would like to see terraforming come back.

2. teej72

teej72 Chieftain

I dont mind so much, but at least hills could have been made irrigatable. Hasn't anyone at Fraxis been to the Andes?:confused:

3. jc011

jc011 Rider of Rohan

YEah, I agree, there seem to be lots of hills just waiting to be irrigated.

4. Apollo

Apollo Emperor

Well at least with the irrigating hills problem you can fix it in the editor, but as far as I know there is no way to add all the advanced terraforming that existed in previous Civs. I liked being able to flatten off hills and mountains, and I even changed it in Civ2 so I could claim land back from the ocean (Holland, anyone?) and dig canals. These features would be great in Civ3, and are definitely realistic.

5. scavenger

scavenger Warlord

for the record, there was no terraforming in Civ 1, only in Civ 2

but I agree with the point in general, just another area where this game is lacking

6. Kestrel

Kestrel Chieftain

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashi
    /englishteacher

Not that is matters to the question at hand, but ...
    "Wherefore" means "for what reason" or "why"

In the play, Juliet was asking why Romeo had to be a Montague (and thus off limits to a Capulet girl) - not where he had run off to.

/end teacher

I find that my cities are more heterogeneous now, which is nice. I do miss being able to irrigate the hills, though. Thanks for the editor tip.

- k

7. cutiestar

cutiestar fluffy bird

Well i originally was missing my farming when i first played CIV III, but then i realised after i got use to it, that really it isn't needed, i still got cities of 24+ people easy enough.

I am now thinking it is a good idea, you know I use to hate the way my father played CIV II, he would just build so many cities and build them all up, with farms and make a huge empire, very long, very boring, and no real tough strategy involved.

Now without terraforming you have to know when you select where you build cities, you will somewhat be stuck with it till the end, so if you want heaps of hills for security and shields, that is cool, but you will not get to have a huge population there later, and vice versa.

So great idea to cancel terraforming, makes the strategy of city placement far more important :goodjob:

8. scavenger

scavenger Warlord

what annoys me about the inability to terraform is the now irreversable effects of global warming

I don't have any pollution, but all the other civs can't seem to get their acts together and I get global warming every other turn

9. ouzzo

ouzzo Chieftain

BTW what does global warming do ?

is it like the oceans are rising and drowning your coastal cities;)

seriously can it something bad to the score or what?

10. Karlsen

Karlsen Chieftain

But I do want to know both 'why' terraforming has gone and 'for what reason' it has been removed. So my usage is not (entirely) inappropriate :)

11. scavenger

scavenger Warlord

global warming turns jungle to grassland, grassland to plains, and plains to dessert

12. Mr. Socks

Mr. Socks Chieftain

Well, I didn't like terraforming and I'm glad it's gone. I just think that from a gaming point of view, terrain and choice of city location should be of key importance. Of course, I terraformed as much as anyone since it was usful, but it just seemed like a brainless chore done out of necessity.

13. DaEezT

DaEezT Civ, Pizza, Spam, Repeat

I think there should be limited terraforming. At least to undo changes done by nukles & global warming.
    I also would like that possibility to change plains into grassland and maybe deserts into plains. I don't want to build mountains or something but a bit of terraforming would be nice.

14. Sukenis

Sukenis the J'BOOtian Warlord

What I sould like would be the planting of trees having a positive effect on global warming. That way there is an insentive to have unused lands. Find a midsized continent and make it a HUGE forest. Wipe out a Civ, Raze there cities, and have to works forest the entire area. Would add a different late game stratagy IMHO.

Am I right that currently there is no reason to plant forest aside from making tundra more useful?

15. Sam_Catchem

Sam_Catchem Prince

I kind of agree..but not really. I liked to be able to terraform. It was cool. The only thing is that I didn't do it out of necessity rather than I had gobs of those settler and they had to do something. By the time I got around to do some serious terraforming..the game was near over. It just took too much time..and wasn't worth the effort. Getting those Tanks and bombers going was more of my focus.:)

16. Gruntboy

Gruntboy Gentleman Geordie

Forgive my ignorance, only been playing for a week.

You can't irrigate hills?? I'm sure I read in the manual something about irrigating hills to get to terrain on the other side?

Also, what happened to swamps?

Re: global warming, why do jungles turn into grassland? Surely it should be the other way around??

Other questions: if you forest tundra, then cut down the trees, do you still get tundra underneath?

Wouldn't re-foresting grassland/plains prevent global warming in those terrain squares (in other words, what happens to forest squares in global warming?).

That really provoked a brainstorming. Not bad for someone who's never read a book. :D

17. Sam_Catchem

Sam_Catchem Prince

Nope..that is CIv2.

Gone..bummer too..but they made Jungles way more timely to cut down.
    Yeah..but I do not think it is. Weird. No biggy..by the time global warming comes around..those jungles have already been cleared.

Nope..still tundra.

Good question..never had a forest square suffer the effects.

18. Gruntboy

Gruntboy Gentleman Geordie

Cheers sam.

How about foresting squares during global warming then, assuming you've tidied the pollution, cut 'em down to get the grassland back?

19. Sam_Catchem

Sam_Catchem Prince

I don't think so.

I think you get whatever was under the forest regardless..no sneaky terraforming.

20. Patchmaster

Patchmaster Chieftain

Forest suffers from polution just like all the other terrain types. I've seen it way too many times. It takes a lot of workers to clean it up too.