Where's my Cottage!?

Ossian

Warlord
Seriously, that was the single most unique thing I'd ever seen because of the investment system where they built up. They made sense because they made the countryside littered with small towns that weren't "Major" cities like the named ones which is true to real life. I loved civ4 and after each expansion pack I was drooling to see what they would add next.

Why the heck did it feel like I paid $50 for something that removed features from Civ4 and upgraded graphics and combat?

Where are corporations? Where are spies? Where are all those new things that were going to improve the game?

I swear if they nickle and dime me all these features in DLC I will boycott Fraxis, because they won't be any different from EA and the sims cash cow. I can't believe I wasted money on spore....

Oh and whoever gets the title quote I'll give a E-Cookie.

PS: The combat is great btw, and it isn't all bad, I can't say I'm not having fun, I just thought I'd be having as much fun as when I first heard the main menu music in civ4 and loaded up my first game.

Sorry to be another ranter in the mob. I feel bad a little.

Why the heck did it feel like I paid $50 for something that removed features from Civ4 and upgraded graphics and combat?

You paid 50$ for a NEW game in the "civilization series", and not for Civilization IV: the new expansion.

I think that's what gets the most people... we've played Civ4 in various incarnations for years now, and now we're faced with something else calling itself Civ, and yet is totally different.

took me a few games myself to shed away my civ4 habits, still have plenty of old habits, but I'm learning the new system and its own intricacies, which are far different from Civ4.

As for cottages/.../towns in Civ4, yeah I loved the pseudo-realism of having towns everywhere and not just big named cities. Have to make do with trading posts for now lol.

N

I just thought I'd be having as much fun as when I first heard the main menu music in civ4 and loaded up my first game.

Wow, where did you get those lovely glasses? They've got the most beautiful tint of Rose on them.

Never liked cottages. Map looked extra ******ed with them. Good riddance.

Where are corporations? Where are spies? Where are all those new things that were going to improve the game?

Civ 4 had none of that until the expansions were out. Civ 4 was actually severely behind Civ 5 in terms of the finished article on release.

I swear if they nickle and dime me all these features in DLC I will boycott Fraxis

That's the choice that has to be made. If it's a worthwhile expansion, it's worth paying for. If not...wait another couple of years and pick up the whole lot on Steam for $10.

Wow, where did you get those lovely glasses? They've got the most beautiful tint of Rose on them.

Actually, they are quite normally shaded, It was the Christmas 2007 or the day after when we installed it and were sort of weirded out by the strange singing, than we started a game not knowing what any of the options meant, after that we fell in love, I don't really have any gripes about Civ4 at all, my brothers and I would play LAN games all day until we had to stop for our own good.

To say I'm being biased is an undercredit to Civ4, I bought civ5 hoping it wouldn't be anything like Civ Rev, but I think it was more like it than Civ4.

You paid 50$ for a NEW game in the "civilization series", and not for Civilization IV: the new expansion.

I think that's what gets the most people... we've played Civ4 in various incarnations for years now, and now we're faced with something else calling itself Civ, and yet is totally different.

No your not understanding me. I wouldn't care if they removed all those features because they were bad, or because they just unbalanced the game.
The reason they removed it I'm 90% sure, is because they are just going to release features we've already seen later just to make a quick buck.

Look at the sims series. Sims 1 had like a dozen Xpacks, Sims 2 came out and removed most of the content. Than they released the SAME content in more expansions.
Sims 3 came out and they removed items they had since the FIRST GAME, oh but it was added later in expansion packs.

This is what I'm thinking of when I think of Civ5, it worries me that Fraxis has become just as greedy, I will link back to this thread if a DLC has Espionage/corporations or anything that was released in X or Y-pack.

Sorry for ranging again.

maybe cottages will be DLC

Irony.

Cottages were a cool game mechaninc, they offered an interesting trade off: weak during the first turns but powerful later in the game. You had to balance them wisely with the other improvements. Not only that... considering that growing a cottage to a town took an huge amount of turns they were valuable things to defend, losing a few towns during an invasion was a noticiable hit to your economy.

On the other hand, their new counterparts, the simplified trading posts, are just boring, they offer nothing on the stategical side.

Civilization V is a great game, but I wish they didn't forget some of the best innovations introduced in Civ4, Cottages are one of those.

I would just like to second that I at least want the Cottage graphic back.

No your not understanding me. I wouldn't care if they removed all those features because they were bad, or because they just unbalanced the game.
The reason they removed it I'm 90% sure, is because they are just going to release features we've already seen later just to make a quick buck.

Except they didn't remove it.. They haven't put it in, in the final release.

This isn't an expansion, so anything that was in Civ4/bts before, can't just as easily be put in cause it has to be programmed all over again, tested, balanced, ironed out, and still buggy when released (lol).

I doubt it's a huge conspiracy to nickel and dime us by making us pay for what we already have. You can still play civ4 and have all those lovely civ4 things...

Sure expansion packs are nice extra dough for companies, but it's not like they're sitting in a dark room inventing ways to screw us over. Coding stuff takes time and resources (not just the coding, the testing, designing, etc)... If it's good, they'll deserve the money. I don't see what the big deal is, we all paid for xpacks before lol

N.

Trading Post is 2 gold.

What would we do with Cottages? When they reached the level of Town, they were 4 gold (+1 gold with Printing Press technology, +1 hammer with Universal Suffrage civic, +2 gold with Free Speech civic). This was balanced by the risk of having them pillaged, seeing 70 turns of effort thrown out the window.

I do miss the cottages. Maybe they can be Hamlets +1 gold at time of producing, rise to Village by another +1 gold after 30 turns or so, and having yet another +1 with one of the Commerce policies or one of the techs. If pillaged, they drop back to Hamlet level.

They required too much strategery and took away from WARIN'!

Trading Post is 2 gold.

What would we do with Cottages? When they reached the level of Town, they were 4 gold (+1 gold with Printing Press technology, +1 hammer with Universal Suffrage civic, +2 gold with Free Speech civic). This was balanced by the risk of having them pillaged, seeing 70 turns of effort thrown out the window.

I do miss the cottages. Maybe they can be Hamlets +1 gold at time of producing, rise to Village by another +1 gold after 30 turns or so, and having yet another +1 with one of the Commerce policies or one of the techs. If pillaged, they drop back to Hamlet level.

No, actually they weren't. Cottages gave COMMERCE, not GOLD(/wealth). Commerce is removed as an intermediate "currency" in Civ 5. This is kinda important, because commerce was an important intermediate mostly for science (but also for culture, espionage and gold/wealth), now food is a more direct intermediate (as food gives population that gives science, while gold can be used as a science intermediate only in research agreements). So this means the end of the cottage spamming, or potential trading post-spamming "strategy" in order to increase science significantly.

Of course a yield-increase over time with the trading posts could still be a viable option, but I guess they decided the balance of the game would be better off with a constant bonus. I see they've changed similar stuff for different buildings as well (changing the %-modifier to a constant).

I'm gonna assume there will be loads of strategies involving trading posts or not, but we will (luckily) not have the generic spamming strategy of the cottages of Civ 4 as a great strategy.

I don't know, Israel seems to think cottage spamming is a valid strategy to dominance.

(Shame on me, I know I know)

Top Bottom