Whether the Jews were taken out of Palestine in large numbers to create the Diaspora

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent327

Observer
(Moved from the Ask a Theologian thread)

What do you mean it was "me who was challenging?" I can discuss certain aspects of the Holocaust, for instance which particular towns were actually massacred or deported, etc. without questioning the authenticity of the Holocaust itself. You haven't shown how I have a shred of burden of proof in showing that the Jews in Palestine were indeed slaughtered and converted to Islam en masse (a position you previously espoused when it was politically convenient to do so). The only thing that isn't already settled (and most historians still agree to its authenticity) is whether the Jews were taken out of Palestine in large numbers to create the Diaspora.

For clarity's sake: the Holocaust wasn't being discussed (not by me anyway), but rather the section in bold. As you can see it is claimed that 'most historians still agree' to the authenticity of the Diaspora, as a result of 'the Jews' being taken out of Palestine in large numbers to create the Diaspora.

I'm inclined to disagree. Most historians don't even bother with the Jewish diaspora. For obvious reasons: it can hardly be claimed to be an 'uncontroversial' issue. On the contrary, it is a very controversial issue. So, the question is: is there any truth to the claim held by both Orthodox Jewry and Zionists that the Jews have been taken out of Palestine in large numbers to create the diaspora?

It seems to me only a number of events can be taken into account:

- the Assyrian 8th century BCE conquest of Palestine (first mention of deportation, which was an Assyrian practice to reduce unrest in conquered lands)

- the Neobabylonian 6th century BCE conquest, leading to the well-known Babylonian exile; this indeed created a Jewish community in Babylon, which only partailly returned after the ban was lifted under Persian rule

- the Roman annexation of the lands ruled by Herod, a client-king, and the subsequent revolts, which were eventually repressed. Possibly a key event, as it included the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD, the change of name of the province from Judaea to Palestina and the similar change of name of Jerusalem to Aelia Capitolina, entry of which was forbidden to Jews for several decades until the ban was lifted

- the Byzantine 7th century reconquest from Persia, shortly before

- the Muslim-Arab conquest; contrary to the above assertion there are no records of "the Jews in Palestine were indeed slaughtered and converted to Islam en masse"; besides the obvious contradiction between between being slaughtered and being converted en masse, this runs contrary to both Islamic law and practice at the time. Both Christians and Jews were considered 'people of the book'; there was a religious tax on them. Since there initially was no tax on Muslims, there is indeed evidence of a conversion to Islam en masse. Deportations: none.

- the Crusades and subsequent reconquest by Arab Muslims: there is evidence of slaughter of both Jews and (Eastern) Christians upon the conquest of Jerusalem. No deportations reported

- the Ottoman conquest seems a bit late in history to account for starting a diaspora, but should be named nonetheless.

So, we have repeated conquests and we have the diaspora. Both are uncontested; but are they inextricably linked?

By 330 CE there were Jewish communities all around the Roman empire, from Hadrian's wall to Morocco, and as far as Tanais and Babylon. And the expansion of Judaism didn't stop there either: contrary to practice today Judaism practized active conversion - and very succesfully until the spread of Christianity started overtaking. When Muhammad started preaching, there were Jewish communities in Mecca, Yemen and Ethiopia.

So, in conclusion, I'd suggest that yes, deportations played their part in spreading Judaism. But the spread of Judaism until the end of the Middle Ages can't possibly be attributed to deportations alone: the vast majority of must be is the result of active conversion.

It should ofcourse be mentioned that deportations continued, starting in 1492 with the establishment of the kingdom of Spain. Jews were expelled from Spain, Portugal, England etc and again this led to a further spread of Judaism.

You may note I consistently use Judaism, not 'the Jews'. There's a difference: Judaism is obviously a religion. 'The Jews' has attained antisemitic as well as Zionist connotations. In fact Zionism arose as a result of 19th century nationalism: one of its key concepts is the supposed continuous existence of a Jewish people throughout history. It would seem that this denies a key aspect of the spread of Judaism: its early very active proselytism. It seems rather obvious one cannot 'convert' to a people.

You started a RD discussion in off topic to show off your wooden, academic understanding of Abrahamic faiths? I don't like it. What's your deal with this, anyway? I mean, what's your endgame?

I'm curious whether "wooden" and "academic" are intended here to be markers of inauthenticity or incorrectness or something. What are they counterpoised to?

I'm curious whether "wooden" and "academic" are intended here to be markers of inauthenticity or incorrectness or something. What are they counterpoised to?

That's a fair question and I don't feel compelled to discuss that aspect of my opinion making process here right now. Mostly I meant to communicate my displeasure with the tone. FFS suggest a book or something.

Moderator Action: Please be advised that the thread starter designated this thread as RD. So if you think think the premise or some points of the OP are erroneous, address these points rather than making blanket statements about the OP or his undsterstanding of history. Or not.

For clarity's sake: the Holocaust wasn't being discussed (not by me anyway), but rather the section in bold. As you can see it is claimed that 'most historians still agree' to the authenticity of the Diaspora, as a result of 'the Jews' being taken out of Palestine in large numbers to create the Diaspora.

I'm inclined to disagree. Most historians don't even bother with the Jewish diaspora. For obvious reasons: it can hardly be claimed to be an 'uncontroversial' issue. On the contrary, it is a very controversial issue.

I'm having a ulcer trying to explain to this lunatic that THESE ARE THINGS I HAVE NEVER SAID OR ALLUDED TO. The details are NOT well-established, and some fringe historians doubt that authenticity of the story itself. The only thing I said was that most historians agree that these events were MAINLY responsible for the Jewish diaspora in Europe.

So, the question is: is there any truth to the claim held by both Orthodox Jewry and Zionists that the Jews have been taken out of Palestine in large numbers to create the diaspora?

"Is there any truth to the claim held by Judeo-Khazars and their Bolshevik allies that the Jews were actually marched by the thousands back into the Reich at the end of the war?"

It's easy to make a view sound ideological when you replace "historical consensus" with "[insert ethnic group here] claims," but it's a tactic I've only ever heard Nazis use.

It seems to me only a number of events can be taken into account:

- the Assyrian 8th century BCE conquest of Palestine (first mention of deportation, which was an Assyrian practice to reduce unrest in conquered lands)

- the Neobabylonian 6th century BCE conquest, leading to the well-known Babylonian exile; this indeed created a Jewish community in Babylon, which only partailly returned after the ban was lifted under Persian rule

- the Roman annexation of the lands ruled by Herod, a client-king, and the subsequent revolts, which were eventually repressed. Possibly a key event, as it included the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD, the change of name of the province from Judaea to Palestina and the similar change of name of Jerusalem to Aelia Capitolina, entry of which was forbidden to Jews for several decades until the ban was lifted

- the Byzantine 7th century reconquest from Persia, shortly before

- the Muslim-Arab conquest; contrary to the above assertion there are no records of "the Jews in Palestine were indeed slaughtered and converted to Islam en masse"; besides the obvious contradiction between between being slaughtered and being converted en masse, this runs contrary to both Islamic law and practice at the time.

I don't consider any of this something I need to respond to, but I want to clarify that I was talking about the Roman and Byzantine massacres of Jews and Arabic conversions. I did not imply that the Arabs were themselves responsible for the slaughter.

- the Crusades and subsequent reconquest by Arab Muslims: there is evidence of slaughter of both Jews and (Eastern) Christians upon the conquest of Jerusalem. No deportations reported

Are you this stupid? QUOTE ANY CLAIM I'VE MADE ABOUT CRUSADERS BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DIASPORA.

By 330 CE there were Jewish communities all around the Roman empire, from Hadrian's wall to Morocco, and as far as Tanais and Babylon. And the expansion of Judaism didn't stop there either: contrary to practice today Judaism practized active conversion - and very succesfully until the spread of Christianity started overtaking. When Muhammad started preaching, there were Jewish communities in Mecca, Yemen and Ethiopia.

Lie. Judaism in ancient was regarded as a national ideology, not a religion as we would understand it today. The ancient Jewish communities were not a result of Jewish missionaries traveling to faraway lands, they were descendants of Judean merchants and travelers.

So, in conclusion, I'd suggest that yes, deportations played their part in spreading Judaism. But the spread of Judaism until the end of the Middle Ages can't possibly be attributed to deportations alone: the vast majority of must be is the result of active conversion.

It should ofcourse be mentioned that deportations continued, starting in 1492 with the establishment of the kingdom of Spain. Jews were expelled from Spain, Portugal, England etc and again this led to a further spread of Judaism.

I can't do it. I'm tearing my hair out. WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING AT ALL?
Moderator Action: removed the hideous HUGE font size to a more appropriate size for RD

You may note I consistently use Judaism, not 'the Jews'. There's a difference: Judaism is obviously a religion. 'The Jews' has attained antisemitic as well as Zionist connotations. In fact Zionism arose as a result of 19th century nationalism: one of its key concepts is the supposed continuous existence of a Jewish people throughout history. It would seem that this denies a key aspect of the spread of Judaism: its early very active proselytism. It seems rather obvious one cannot 'convert' to a people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnoreligious

I am done.

Everyone reading, I'd like you all to take a look at how this discussion started. I asked Plotinus about the Ashkenazi Jews being Khazars and the tradition of "exile" from Palestine being a result of Christian propaganda. JELEEN responded in his usual condescending manner by telling me there were no massacres of the Jewish population in Palestine at all. From there, he continued to mock me and destroyed the rest of the discussion with even more strawmen.

What does this have to do with anything mentioned here on this thread? I was talking, from the beginning, about Khazars being the ancestors of Ashkenazim and you have turned it into an unstructured diatribe about Zionism, despite my numerous attempts at clarification. I cannot debate someone who cannot hold a simple conversation. I've never seen this level of egocentrism even from the heartiest of trolls. I honestly think you have a mental illness, and would be a little more inclined to pity you if normally did not behave like this, but the fact of the matter is that your interactions with me are similar to the manner in which you have dealt with others.

Now, again; for those who have the stomach to withstand JELEEN, stay tuned to whatever "response" he can dig up that he can pretend has even the slightest connection to what I've said. I have blocked him and expect my time on Civfanatics to improve substantially.

Moderator Action: This post littered with personal insults, non-civil discussion, flaming, and trolling. Definitely not what we allow in RD discussion. Infracted.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

see now?

It's an emotionally charged subject Jeleen is approaching with as much feeling as a sociopath screaming in a crying baby's face to somehow try to teach it to not cry.

edit: Jeelen. sorry for misspelling.

I don't consider any of this something I need to respond to, but I want to clarify that I was talking about the Roman and Byzantine massacres of Jews and Arabic conversions. I did not imply that the Arabs were themselves responsible for the slaughter.

Are you this stupid? QUOTE ANY CLAIM I'VE MADE ABOUT CRUSADERS BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DIASPORA.

Lie. Judaism in ancient was regarded as a national ideology, not a religion as we would understand it today. The ancient Jewish communities were not a result of Jewish missionaries traveling to faraway lands, they were descendants of Judean merchants and travelers.

I can't do it. I'm tearing my hair out. WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING AT ALL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom