1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which 3rd party civs do you like?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Abaxial, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

It's often easier to get people to agree on what they're all against than it is to get them to agree on what they're all in favour of.

Sadly, this also allows divisive politicians (such as Hitler) to build coalitions around targets.

2. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

I believe the topic is "Which 3rd party civs do you like?" not "Which 3rd party civs should be banned?".

3. KingCheops

KingCheops Chieftain

Has anyone done a Polynesia civ yet? Sorry father of 2 toddlers so very little time to play let alone search mods/make mods.

4. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Not the 'Glob Polynesia' of Civ V infamy, but Gedemo has a Tahiti Civ for Civ VI, and AoSEC has a Maori Civ with two alternate leaders. I confess I haven't tried any of these, but I have played some of their other Modded Civs,like AoSEC's Iroquois, and they are quite good.

5. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams

I've played Taino several times, and they're fun, if a bit OP. I also had fun with a flagrantly OP J.F.K. leads America mod. It was too unbalanced to play more than once but it was fun to have a laugher.

6. KingCheops

KingCheops Chieftain

Thanks!

7. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

I've really enjoyed the Thule...Jerusalem...Frederick the Great....Australian Aborigini...Elizabeth (England) ....Isabela (Spain) ...Churchill ....Castro...Hitler...and the overpowered Atlantis Mods.

8. Karpius

Karpius King

Atlantis? Really? I was unaware! Please point me in the right direction!
    I do have a fantasy streak in me.

9. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

Yes...Atlantis by ADLER. It can be found in the Steam workshop quickly enough by searching Atlantis. WAY overpowered with a ton of units. I like to play peacemaker with the CIv.

10. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly King

It is absolutely fascinating how the allies took on Communism. Berlin is an amazing city. I highly recommend it for anyone who is a fan of the Cold War and/or historical espionage or WWII.

I also recommend visiting another Eastern European country like Poland. I think when you see what the Nazis did (not so long ago) you may think twice about saying Nazi/Hitler mod is my favourite 3rd party civ :rolleyes:

Anyway, speaking of controversial mods (and scenarios) I am about to drop a scenario that may flame and incense Sri Lankan Tamils. I've already done the map of Sri Lanka and the Tamil Tigers ->
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1369099516
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1161496598

I'm expecting to get trolled to death probably when I do ship it (most likely in beta cos the spring patch will break it) in about 2 wks :smug:

While Sri Lankan Tamils claim their loss of est. 15,000-45,000 civilians in May 2009 is a holocaust it is nothing compared to the ~6 million jews killed by Hitler. Let's see if they get it banned on Steam :p

11. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

I'm on my way to Sri Lanka in a few weeks. I'll ask them what they think of your mod when I get there. Will give me something to chat about with the tuk tuk drivers to and from the airport.

I'm assuming everyone on the island should have downloaded it by then. :)

12. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly King

Lucky you! FYI I am on a distinguished list incl. journalists, human rights activists/lawyers who are banned from entering Sri Lanka RN :D

The reason I'm dropping the scenario premature (beta) in ~2 weeks is it coincides with the 9th anniversary of the defeat of the Tamil Tigers. IDK what to call it yet: "No Fire Zone" (after the Callum Macrae doco) or "The Killing Fields" or "Mullivaikkal" (though I don't think anyone will be able to pronounce this).

Anyway I'm pretty sure if you're in Sri Lanka then you'll hear no end of protests and demonstrations and unrest relating to the killing of the Tamil Tiger leader Prabhakaran on the 18th of May.

For your amusement, here's a video from 9 yrs ago outside the UK embassy ->

Every year there is some ruckus. I hope it doesn't spoil your holiday.

13. durfal

durfal The Dutch Daredevil

For civ 6, the 3rth party civs I use are the ones which are themed and fitting in with the rest of the animated leaders and music (Siam, Burma, Ethiopia, Iceland), so basically the ones from Sukritact. Some of them are even voiced over.
    JFD, Luegi, Gademon and some others have some nice looking ones (not animated) but I only use them if I really really want to have a civilization in game that isn't available yet. Like before R&F I wanted (as a dutchman) to play as the Netherlands I had to use a mod.

As leaders for a civ I really don't want to have too modern leaders (from 20th century on) as they still can be controversial for many players today.

And I think people should think before they ask for a certain leader for a country from Firaxis. Games are made for worldwide customers nowadays. You should always think if a leader is appropriate for people who live in those countries too in the official game.
    In fan made mods on the other hand people should be able to make whatever they want. Don't like it, just don't download it. For example I would never ever play a civilization game with Hitler as a leader choice, but for people who want there are mods out there were you can play as (or against) him.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  14. Karpius

Karpius King

I would love to play against Hitler. As well as Stalin, Mao, Mussolini, Tojo and many others who rank as slime balls in history. Which, really, is most of the leaders in the Civ series. Alexander, Peter, Montezuma, Phillip as well as others all have lots of blood on their hands.

On the flip side, whatever civ I choose to play, I never consider myself as being *that* leader. When I play Rome, I certainly don't lead it in the way Trajan did. I try to be more Marcus Aurelius, but even he wasn't exactly a pussycat.

shaglio, Banazir864 and MaryKB like this.
  15. Abaxial

Abaxial King

Incidentally, had you been in Germany in the late 1930s and referred to Hitler as a Nazi, you would probably have been arrested for disrespect. As a label, "Nazi Germany" is on a level with "Commie Russia".

16. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Boris Gudenuf and Banazir864 like this.
  17. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

I was remiss in not including Tibet and (please don't laugh) the Santa Claus Civ. Both very fun and I always make room for Tibet in my world TSL games. I absolutely am in the market for a proper zombie civ. OH, how I miss the Civ5 werewolf, Vampire, et al civ pack.

18. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

There is something to be said for playing Civs that are just plain FUN to play. Sometimes that means OP, but not always. I personally, am 'in the market' for some good Alternate History Civs based on some of the 'classic' Alternate History stories: Turtledove's Videssos, or H. Beam Piper's Hostigos, or the world of Fletcher Pratt's Well of the Unicorn. I mean, who wouldn't have a cackle playing in Turtledove's or Pratt's worlds, where you have a chance of adding a classic Roman Legion to your medieval/Byzantine armies?

- And speaking of Sneaky OP Civs, although at first glance it doesn't look it, but my vote for Most Incredibly OP Fun To Play Modded Civ goes to Antagonise's Oirat Civ led by Galdan: extra production and gold for every friendly city nearby, Faith for kills, and a burst of Gold and Culture every time you found or conquer a city: before you know it, you're swimming in Gold and buying Great People with Faith right and left. It's a hoot for a No-Brainer Game.

MisterBoomBoom likes this.
  19. Abaxial

Abaxial King

The Steam workshop has a bunch of anime-inspired civs. I haven't looked closely at any of them but somehow I doubt if they are very good.

20. KAL_MAD

KAL_MAD Chieftain

Sukritact's Swahili and Ethiopia are really fun. Also, JFD's Elizabeth of Russia.
    There is also The Soviet Union mod that have unique spaceport district.

I want to play JFD's Denmark as it looks so much fun but unfortunately it isn't working for me