1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Affinity do you think you'll try first? (the unimformed gut reaction edition)

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by moysturfurmer, Apr 13, 2014.

?

Which one are you looking forward to?

1. Harmony

86 vote(s)
    30.1%
  2. Purity

91 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. Supremacy

78 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. idk its 2 soon 2 tell

31 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Clearly, we're going to have our best Civ players duke it out for ideological supremacy in a MP match.

2. Fabio1701

Fabio1701 King

:love: so sweet! This kind of innocence makes me forget the reason I play civ.

no seriously, how is a tribe with this attitude gonna win? It won't, they will be throttled by the others just as the pacifist Terapians were. Never heard of the Terapians? That's because Genghis Kahn ate them for breakfast. Sure, you could play middle road in any civ game like a city-state, but you won't be going anywhere.

I think the "we want to stay humans" would be the Purity affinity, so you should go for that one. Purity doesn't mean they you have to go on the war path, but you will need those big guns to stave off the Protos and Zerg, because that's basically what it comes down to.

3. Fabio1701

Fabio1701 King

hmm... yeah, I was on the fence for that one. I see it coudl fall to supremacy as you say, but the the Hive was also about re-envisioning the totalitarian ideologies of the mid 20th century, which is definately looking backwards whcih is why I though purity. also purity gives me the creepy neo-nazi pureblood feeling, which could be interpreted as a Hive thing.

4. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Nothing, and I mean nothing, about the Hive gives off Neo-Nazi.

5. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Whatever affinity goes best with an Aquatic victory, that'd be my choice.:hide:

6. Teproc

Teproc King

Totalitarism is the disappearence of the private sphere into the public sphere, so there is an easy parallel, although I wouldn't have singled out nazis, just totalitarianism in general.

7. Lyoncet

Lyoncet Emperor

Probably Harmony for me. Because bending an entire planet to your will and then using it to crush your enemies is cooler than cybernetic transcendence and flying castles. If only by a little bit. :)

Plus, Dune + Nemesis + backstory of Hyperion (I assume that's what they're getting at with the Dan Simmons reference) = mindblown.

8. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

I think you're confusing the concepts below the surface of Harmony and Supremacy deary.

The clue is in the word "harmony", where the planet and you live harmoniously together in a mutually beneficial and equal relationship. You don't bend it to your will, you take it to dinner and gradual build up to the point where you can ask it to combine with your DNA to slay your enemies. :goodjob:

9. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

You say potato...

10. HipNozY

HipNozY Chieftain

What better way to bend an entire planet than to use flying fortress to show off? :p

11. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Exactly... Purity is "bending a planet to your will"
    Harmony is "bending yourself to the Planets' will"

12. KevinLancaster

KevinLancaster Prince

And Supremacy is bending yourself to technology's will

Either way, someone has to bend over!

13. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

...I say destroy all humans :scan:

14. KevinLancaster

KevinLancaster Prince

15. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Warlord

Maybe most humans think Alien hybrids and metal men are not actually a good thing.

16. KevinLancaster

KevinLancaster Prince

Yeah, if anything, how is purity not sexy? What would you rather have, the cute human girl/boy, the human-alien hybrid girl/boy, or the robot/cyborg girl/boy?

17. BackseatTyrant

BackseatTyrant Queer Anarchotranshumanist

Hmm, are we talking what gameplay aesthetic fits us the most, or what kind of society we'd like to live in?

18. Rebel Fighter

Rebel Fighter Chieftain

Good question.

As far as society goes, Purity is my default choice. But as far as gameplay, I think Harmony or Supremacy might be my favorite. It's too early to tell, though.

19. Nick31

Nick31 Prince

Harmony. Definitely Harmony, particularly if the "Tech Web" for Harmony involves really bad ass things.

Also, I want to go full Avatar on some fascist AI or MP army that comes with guns and armor only to land on my side of the planet and find all sorts of nasty defensive surprises. From the PC Gamer interview, they mention that Harmony could summon creatures:

"Then the Harmony player can take advantage of all the things that are threatening to you in the beginning of the game, even to the extent that they start to design their own alien creatures. You get to play these big alien things at the end of the game, they even ride them. They're not space elves, they're still very tough. In fact, the ground unit trajectory for Harmony, they look like Football players, huge genetically modified guys."

"Their territory is large, they grow very easily, they have a lot of free movement over the terrain. They're very fluid, they're very nimble."

Flank attacks from herds of violent beasts, Predator-style hit-and-run attacks, Flying Dragons dropping biological weaponry.... I want to fight guerrilla-style and watch a huge invading army take casualties until they're desperately calling for evacuation and reinforcement.

"WE'RE PINNED DOWN. THEY'RE EVERYWHERE, WE NEED HELP... REPEAT [womph, scream, wOmph]... , WE CAN'T HIT THEM! [roarrrrrrrrs, womph] WE'RE PINNED DOWN! IT'S LIKE THE PLANET KNOWS WE'RE HERE! REQUEST EVACUATION, OVER! [womph, womph, coughs] OH, MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT??? YOU'VE GOT TO GET US OUT OF HERE, YOU'VE GOT TO GET US ------------, [munch, munch, munch]."

Yeah, Harmony sounds lovely.

20. Rebel Fighter

Rebel Fighter Chieftain

hahaha, this is why Harmony sounds awesome.

It makes me curious though... all this talk as of late has been about war and killing. Has Firaxis divulged any information on how a more peaceful Civ game would play out?

I just got an idea. What if there was a mode in the game that allowed for extreme amounts of hostile alien life forms? This way, it would force the players in the game to work together just to survive until the mid-to-late game. It would be an interesting dynamic.