1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which age Civ 4 is really made for ?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by darko82, Aug 4, 2006.

?

How old are you ?

1. above 10 years old

8 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. above 12 years old

14 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. above 15 years old

33 vote(s)
    22.1%
  4. above 18 years old

25 vote(s)
    16.8%
  5. above 21 years old

20 vote(s)
    13.4%
  6. above 25 years old

49 vote(s)
    32.9%
  1. darko82

darko82 Emperor

The last part of the civilization is the most childish I have ever played. It is too bad that such a great game is not made to suit older people.

2. Janos

Janos Prince

I agree such things like "BURN BABY BURN!!!!!!" on the city raze option are silly and childish, and it annoys me when i open a dialogue option with the infamous Joseph Stalin to see him saying "I studied on killin' you". Yes it's good to have fun and add some little jokes into a game, but this isn't even funny and does ruin immersion a little. That being said, it has never truly detracted from my gaming experience, so i'm not overly fussed by it.

I feel that perhaps in the next expansion they should include many more serious dialogue options, as well as removing little things like "BURN BABY BURN!!!!!" and including more realistic and sensible descriptions for things like that.

I don't think Civ IV is designed to be played necessarily by children. It is accessible to children - but a child would never be able to cope at a higher difficulty level or experience the game properly anyway. I remember when i was really young and got Call To Power 2 - i couldn't play at all and was very very stuck. Does that mean i shouldn't play it or be able to simply because it's such a complex game which isn't very intuitive? Certainly not. Let the kids enjoy it too, i say - but remember the older fans too when writing the dialogue/descriptions in-game please. That's just my opinion!

3. Mozza

Mozza Prince

I think it's aimed at older people. Your average 13 year old might get off on being called "Great Lord" by his "Advisors" in a game but older people would rather have a laugh. I'm 27 (tomorrow) and am quite happy with the dialogue in the game.

4. Lars_Domus

Lars_Domus Say No 2 Net Validations

Even the rather somber SMAC had these kind of silly dialogue options. It just wouldn't be a "Sid Meier's" game without this type of humour.

At any rate, there are mods available to make the diplomacy more serious, and most of the stuff you can mod yourself with a simple text editor anyway.

5. UknowsI

UknowsI Nybygger

I think it's good that they make the game accessible for the younger crowd as long as it doesn't mean they cut down on complexity to do it. I've been playing Civilization since I was 8 years old and think it's important to teach kids to play proper games from a young age. This is where it's important to make a easy to learn hard to master game. When I was 8 I wasn't able to win on any difficulty harder than prince since I didn't understand all the consepts of Civ 1, but it was great fun and a good challenge.

6. Stuie

Stuie Laudir Agus Mir

Is this one of those polls that is specifically designed to make me feel old? "Over 25" is the highest option.... :rolleyes:

Anyway... while there are some "cute" trappings, the game itself under the eye-candy is excellent. I can ignore the silliness (or sometimes even laugh at it) and enjoy the game without any problem. If that means my 8 year-old might enjoy the game too, for slightly different reasons, good.

7. Darwin420

Darwin420 Darwin Plays Video Games

You should have put an "ALL AGES" option on there.

The corny jokes and at times annoying dialogue are there to make you smile, much in the way a really bad joke does. You smile because it's NOT funny. Immersion is overrated.. Civ has NEVER been a game without the corny little jokes, the easter eggs, and all the other FUN stuff that makes it different from every other darn strategy game out there.

That said, I think the game is REALLY made for every age. I started playing Civ 1 when I was 10 or so, and I play cIV now, and in thirty, forty, fifty years or more, I'll be more than happy playing Civ 20. The game has longevity like that because it is tailored to be agreeable with virtually every age group, unlike virtually every other game out there.

Love it or hate it, Civ has been around for a LONG time, and it doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

8. Colin

Colin Warlord

Had to jump in here. Immersion is seriously underrated in most games/films/media today. How often do the designers feel a need to throw in a knowing wink or a pop culture reference, almost as if they're scared of taking themselves seriously. Civ4 (while a good game) is particularly bad for this - Caesar prattling on about salad made me want to howl in frustration. It's supposedly a game about the epic sweep of history, the rise and fall of empires, the entirety of mankind, just for once it would be nice if this experience wasn't diminished by this need to be all post-modern. Seriousness is not a dirty word - it actually enhances an experience. Sure the little in-jokes are cute, but if Sid Meier sees his story as fit only for ridicule, then why bother telling it?

BTW - I am aware I am taking this all far too seriously.

9. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

I'm 21, and i'm happy with the game.

10. Randolph

Randolph Warlord

Wow, it suddenly got really stuffy in here :rolleyes: . I’m an adult, and I rather like the cheese. Don’t tell me you didn’t like the advisors from Civ2! :goodjob:

11. Sibben

Sibben Chieftain

I see your point but I don't quite agree. The art style and some of the gameplay elements are too cartoony and/or simplified (they're supposed to be that way) to mix well with a serious approach. I think the level of seriouseness/wackyness is just right in Civ.

I do agree however with the degree of irony and lack of seriousness in our times, but that is a very different, and presumably more boring discussion.

Let's just say that Civilization runs no risk of becoming pretentious. :)

12. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

I think it's the right game for whatever age takes to it. What I mean is that it has something for everybody and that is the beauty of Civ. The intrinsic humor keeps it from taking itself too seriously but the depth and breadth of the game lets you know that you're in a rarified crowd if you can master it. I'd say its the game for "civilized" people everywhere; people who like to look at the big picture and imagine they have some say in the ebb and flow of history. Whether you win by stick or diplomacy or research, you can find the tool to best express yourself that day or that life. I think that Civ crosses a lot of boundaries and if the creators keep true to the premise, it has long legs and can be enjoyed into coming generations. Improving technology can only help the game, enhancing suspension of disbelief and allowing the player to dive ever deeper into the elements of what makes societies and nations tick, while the computer takes care of all the hidden machinery beneath that makes it all work. I know that I'm addicted and I hope there will always be a new "fix" for me in the coming years...

13. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

I'm 16 and i have no problem with those little things you people complain about. It doesn't matter what age you are, it's just your intellect that determines whether you can play the game.

14. kristopherb

kristopherb Protective/Charismatic

i said 10+ because it means 10-9999999999999999999999999

15. Serenya

Serenya Chieftain

I'm 40, and I think the remarks are amusing. A bit of levity keeps the game from being just about the numbers.

16. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

Agreed. Remember teh modern Entertainment advisor: Elvis!!

17. Palpster

Palpster Chieftain

I've never even thought about the game's dialogue as being an immersion stopper.....it's Civilization! nuff said.

18. Motina

Motina Chieftain

I berely pay attention to those remarks in diplomacy, or the city razing.. I see a botton and press it. However, I do like the quotes by Leonard Nemoy. He adds a lot of charater and an aesthetic to the game.

19. Murky

Murky Deity

I think it's geared more towards teenagers and adults but it's suitable for ages 10 and over.

20. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

What are you talking about?

The quality of graphics have nothing to do with the intended audience. Buy a real PC if your machine can't handle Civ and other quality games.

Civ has always included funny little blurbs like some of the leader quotes and stuff - it's part of games being FUN - something a lot of devs don't understand (and apparently some players too).

IMO, Civ is a game for all ages - it's for those who like to play strategy games regardless of age.

It would be stupid for the devs to cater to a specific age group instead of making the game have broad appeal, since they probably want to be able to pay for development, make a profit, and make more games.