1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Ai do you want as neibhour

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by druidravi, Feb 28, 2008.

1. druidravi

druidravi King

My personal preference is Gandhi , you can get away with no military at all with him . Finds religion , builds shiny wonders , shrines and academies . Fun to capture them .

Next would be Hatty , Asokha , Cyrus , Musa

Monty is a fun neibhour as well. Forces me not to ignore military early and is relatively easier to take out once his early rush fizzles out.

2. Rusten

Rusten Deity

Mansa Musa no doubt. The fact that he's willing to trade everything there is instead of holding on to "monopoly" techs helps so much.

3. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

I must be weird, but I have a lot of success when Izzy is my neighbour. She does 1 of 2 things:

1) She founds an early religion, it spreads to you, you adopt it and you have a buffer between more dangerous foes

2) She founds an early religion, you don't adopt it, she declares war on you, but she has been teching religious techs rather than military ones so you end up taking all her cities and elimiating her from the game. You also don't get any diplo demerits since she declared war on you!

I've lost count of how many times my GP farm is Madrid and my commerce city is Barcelona.

Izzy far away is more of a problem though.

4. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Roosevelt is a good neighbour - builds lots of wonders and neglects military often

5. spoooq

spoooq Warlord

I also like Isabella because she is so predictable. In my current game, she had my religion for a long time, so I could safely beat up our mutual friends. Now she's changed religion, and I know I don't need to bother declaring war on her, I'd much rather she started one with one of my allies so I can drag as many people into it as possible and get maximum diplo advantage.

6. oyzar

oyzar Have quit civ/forums

I love having willhelm as neighbour. He doesn't block you very much and he keeps very light on defense allowing you to dominate him in pretty much all ages... I don't like mansa as a neighbour as his unique unit somewhat prevent you from taking him out fast...

7. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

I prefer anyone that is not creative, protective or Agressive. A slight preference for leaders who are industrious and start with mysticism so I can steal wonders and holy cities.

8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Any non-warmonger, especially those who are willing to trade techs. I do like taking wonders and shrines too, so those types are nice.

Izzy might be my favorite AI in the entire game. She's got the eye candy factor, and I just adopt her religion and it's like I have a poor man's permanent alliance instantly. We pair up, smack down infidels, and send the world to a screeching halt techwise as our religiously dogmatic troops mow everyone down and entice more war. Izzy is a devil that helps me plunge the world into darkness...although I don't necessarily need her to be my neighbor.

Ghandi, MM, HC (HC SUCKS in the AI's hands if he spawns close, and he's a wonder/religion AI which means he's got goodies. Quechas do NOTHING to strategic resource units) in particular are favorite whipping civs for me. When I get these fools I consider their lands as part of my space right from the start.

9. Deriem

Deriem Chieftain

For me the only good neighbour is a dead one.

Otherwise, Hatty :D

10. Wejer

Wejer Mentor

Ramses II is maybe not most peaceful neighbour, but he is a wonder-addict and religionoholic. When the time is right, I rush in with a stack and take his precious cities.

11. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Gandhi. Does he even declare war at all excluding defensive pacts, vassals, and the like?

12. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Gandhi DoW'd Shaka in one of my games recently. Of course, Shaka had DoW'd him at least twice beforehand, and Shaka was fighting me at the time, and Gandhi capitulated about 2 turns later. I had to keep turning down his offer to be my voluntary vassal throughout the game, I knew he'd just try for a cultural win if I accepted.

He did say "I studied on killin' you..." next time I went for diplo with him though ;)

13. Iranon

Iranon Deity Whipping Boy

Montezuma and Isabella. If they are close, it's quite likely that we'll be religious buddies for much of the game and I absolutely love having a generally incompetent attack dog... it's unfortunate when my good and loyal friends become too powerful and need a stab in the back.

It's not as if being far away from them saves you from a war if you fail to get on their good side.

14. Moxxa

Moxxa Warlord

Mansa Musa is just good to have in your game at all, as long as you have contact with him. Isabella is nice to have near by as long as you adopt her religion and later capture her shrines. If you ignore her though she can become a beast. Roosevelt is nice to have close by too. He's usually pretty mild mannered and builds wonders for you.

15. Mesousa

Mesousa -8.38 -6.67

I've had good experiences with Justinian as neighbour. Doesn't build much military, but likes to found an early religion or two. Great rush target.

16. Winston Hughes

Winston Hughes Wrathful Warlock Retired Moderator

Musa is my best buddy. We power through the tech-tree together, leaving the other civs in the dust, living in peace and harmony with one another, sharing resources, exchanging gifts, and rushing to each other's aid in times of trouble. :high5:

I always shed a small tear when I have to nuke the living crap out of all his cities to secure my win. :sad:

17. Leodavinci

Leodavinci Great Merchant

Agreed on Creative, the worst trait your neighbor could have.
    Do not care on Aggressive/Protective as it only takes time and faster research to take them down.

18. tflst5

tflst5 Chieftain

Gandhi for me. Total wuss IMO. I had a good laugh recently - a couple games in a row i turned on aggressive barbs - and Gandhi got completely overwhelmed at the start of the game. Every game he got beaten down by barbs and then became easy meat for the tougher civs.

19. Crowqueen

Crowqueen Token forum woman

Willem Van Oranje, but you've got to watch island chains or corners of your empire that you don't completely control otherwise he will settle there and start culture-bombing you.