Which are your top 5 favorite board games

jcikal

The Voice of Reason
Sometimes I like playing board games and thought it would be fun to find out what other board games others are playing (it may also give me ideas to try new games I didn't know existed) so I'll begin by mentioning my top 5 favorite board games I like to play:

1) Carcassonne (A tile-placing game)
2) Lost Cities (Card-based)
3) Ticket to Ride (Train simulator)
4) Monopoly (I can't remember what this one's about)
5) Puerto Rico (Economics & trading)

What are your top five? (You don't have to mention what they're about if you don't want to.

Are you german? I heard a while ago that german board games are supposed to be much better than North American ones, and they mentioned some of those above....

ANyone remember Risk, and associated games (Shogun, 1941...)

4) Monopoly (I can't remember what this one's about)

I'm curious how this makes your top 5 list when you can't remember it?

--

Diplomacy
4000 AD
Kingmaker
Public Assistance
Buccaneer

Settlers from Catan.
Risk
Axis and Allies
Monopoly
Trivial Persuit.

Risk
Stratego
Scrabble
Chess
Go

...in no particular order.

In a semi random order

Go (if you can consider it a boardgame)
Game of Thrones
Princes of Florence
Settlers of Catan
Neuroshima Hex

Admitably, I haven't played many more :<

I don't play board games very much. Mostly because I have no firends and it is hard to play alone . . .

Really, though:

Settlers of Catan
Scrabble
One obscure one whose name I don't remember that involved hotels
Risk
Trivial Pursuit

1. Russian Campaign
2. Tri-Tactics
3. Diplomacy
4. Gettysburg
5. The London Game

I can't remember Boot Hill, so although I do remember liking it very much, I've skipped it now.
I have soft spots for Kingmaker, War At Sea, Victory in the Pacific, Wooden Ships and Iron men and By Jove too.

Hotel was the one with the different kinds of hotels, one in europe, one in Africa, one in north America and so on. You had to buy the estate and build up the hotel, which consisted of several pieces. It was quite close to Monopoly, but had more impressive building-models.

I bought it for $.25 at a yard sale, I had never heard of it anywhere else. There was a big board, you drew tiles and placed hotels on the tiles, and tried to connect them to form hotel chains. There were 7 different chains in 3 price ranges.

I sincerely recommend the Dune boardgame to everyone who likes to play boardgames. It is less strategic than the Axis and Allies versions, Risk or Shogun because you have a lot of hidden information. It also has no dices which removes the random factor.
It is similar to poker as you have to guess and interpret your opponent&#180;s intentions and moves. It reflects very well the spirit of the books with alliances, treachery, ect. You need at least 5 players to be balanced, though. It features 6 unique fractions. I am not sure if it is still produced, you can find .pdfs of involved map and cards and let them print.

I also love Catan (my friend has the space version) and the Axis and Allies revised boardgames.

1. Dune
2. Space settlers of Catan
3. Axis and Allies revised
4. LoTR Risk
5. Carcassone

Risk
Chess
Life
Monopoly
Trivial Pursuit

Top Bottom