1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which book are you reading now? Volume X

Discussion in 'Picture Threads Archive' started by Cheezy the Wiz, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arriaga II

Arriaga II Warlord

Grant - Jean Edward Smith.

Makes a compelling argument that Grant was superior to Lee, and an even more compelling argument that the historical perception of Grant's presidency has been negatively skewed by southern historians that disliked him for his pro-civil rights stands.

2. Murky

Murky Deity

I want to get some books by Winston Churchill on WWII. I'm just not sure where the best place to get them would be.

3. Arriaga II

Arriaga II Warlord

If you plan on doing so in order to gain insights into Winston Churchill, then go for it. Amazon probably has them all, and most decent sized libraries should as well.

If you want to read Churchill on WWII in order to learn about WWII, I suggest you don't do it.

4. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

You libertarian types aren't supposed to be recommending books that so easily give liberals like me more confirmation bias.... :mischief:

I may have to buy a copy of this to keep on hand as a reference.

5. Integral

Integral Can't you hear it?

Ha! The book has changed how I look at recessions and the financial-monetary interaction in particular. I still need to give their section on inflation and banking crises a good read.

--

Bought four books on Amazon:
    - Salter, Light Years (I'm in the mood for a novel about a failed marriage right about now)
    - O'Rourke, Power and Plenty (on recommendation)
    - Graeber, Debt: The First 5000 Years (really didn't want to but was pulled by an inexplicable force)
    - Toll, Pacific Crucible (on recommendation)

6. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

And your views on financial market regulations?

7. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

I'm working with a few books..
    The Fabric of the Cosmos, Brian Green. The subject is physics -- relativity, quantum mechanics, and string theory. Slow going because it's a difficult subject for me wrap my head around.

Incognito: the Secret Lives of the Brain. David Eagleman writes on neurology and the subconscious; it's an endlessly fascinating subject for me and a readable book, but my progress has been hindered by me receiving a book in the mail..

The City in Mind: Notes on the Urban Condition, James Howard Kunstler. I received this yesterday; in it he gives the history and analysis of some select cities (Paris, Atlanta, Mexico City, Rome, Berlin, Boston, Las Vegas, and a few others) to examine what they've done right and done wrong...what they have to tell us about what makes a city successful or unsuccessful. I almost skipped ahead to the chapter on Las Vegas; I'm familiar with Kunstler and I know how he positively LOATHES it.

Bicycle Diaries, David Byrne. I just picked this one up today from the library, hoping to read about bicycling. Instead, it seems to consist of ruminations about various subjects, inspired by the author's cycling through cities. For instance, while visiting the Stasi museum in Berlin, he reflects on the extremes to which people will go to justify their actions.

Right now I'm making myself put Kunstler and Byrne down so I can focus on Incognito. It's a good book and deserves attention.

8. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

The Class Structure of the Advanced Societies by Anthony Giddens. This is before he went all New Labour, so it's still readable.

9. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Finished the first of John Julius Norwich's Byzantium trilogy, reading Christopher Hitchen's God is not Great over the next week.

10. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

Inside Scientology - Janet Rietman: Well worth a read.
    1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created - Charles Mann: Not as Good as 1491, but still well worth a read.
    Imperial Alchemy: Nationalism and Political Identity in Southeast Asia - Anthony Reid: Ossim.

11. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Huh, turns out that the UK version is subtitled "How the Ecological Collision of Europe and the Americas Gave Rise to the Modern World". I wonder why that is? (Assuming that the publishers aren't simply under the impression that the Brits prefer their subtitles clumsy and over-long.)

12. squall78

squall78 Prince

Looks like an interesting read. Was it more about the religion itself or more about the scandals and ex-members?

13. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

Different audience. Americans know Columbus. He's taught in schools and ties back to a strong generally still positive national narrative. Brits don't have that kind of recognition and don't feel the need to pull punches.

Gives a short history which is interesting; then looks at some of the scandals like McPherson; the role of Tom Cruise; then looks at the social side of Scientology including its impact on members; and at the prospects of the Church. It's an even-handed treatment: it heaps criticism where criticism is due but stops well short of foaming hatred for all things Scientology.

14. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Terry Pratchett - Feet of Clay

15. Verarde

Verarde Pondering Wearing A Hat

Love that! 'Twas the first one that I read!

16. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I am currently reading Terry Pratchett's The Fifth Elephant. After that I shall start on the stack of books on the table beside my bed, which includes Pratchett's Thief of Time, Interesting Times, Night Watch, Men At Arms, and Thud!, as well as Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

17. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

I'll have read every Pratchett book at my library after I finish this one. Haven't read Thief of Time or Thud!, and I think there are a couple others unavailable.

18. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Want to see some funny subtitling?

Six Frigates on Amazon.com

Six Frigates on Amazon.co.uk

Enjoy. :)

19. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

Hah. Brilliant.

20. Whiskey_Lord

Whiskey_Lord Deity

The Genealogy of Morals - Friedrich Nietzsche