1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which book are you reading now? Volume XIII

Discussion in 'Serial Thread Archives' started by Takhisis, Jan 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

41nhFLVeLpL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Excellent! Australia in the 1960s with a bonus.

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Roughly 2/5ths into Goethe's Faust.
    Can't say I like it at all.

edit: read it now. Meh.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  3. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

I Must Speak Out, an anthology of voluntaryist/anarchist writings. Includes pieces by both Solzhenitsyn and Chomsky, interestingly enough.

4. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Suicidal by Jesse Bering is a book about "Why we kill ourselves". The author is a psychologist of the social cognition school with personal experience with considering suicide, which is reflected in the writing style which has sardonic humor and a distinctly nonreligious point of view. Key ideas covered in the book other than the expected (suicide statistics, reasoning, how to approach the topic, etc.) is that it's impossible to know if animals engage in this behavior, the nature of humans as "natural psychologists" which can lead to the behavior, the debate on whether suicide is an adaptive evolutionary response, and stages of suicidal thought theorized by a Professor Baumeister.

Synsensa likes this.
  5. civvver

civvver Deity

I read a couple Aloysious Pendergast novels on vacation. Pretty good series by Lincoln Child and some other guy, I forget his name. Very Dan Brown da'vinci code like, supernatural thriller stuff.

6. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

After rewatching the first two Maze Runner movies and then watching the one that came out last year, I decided I'd read the books to compare.

It took me over two weeks to slog through the first book. Miserable read. The movies were so much better.

7. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Reading it in my study of what makes humanity tick.

8. civvver

civvver Deity

What did you think of the movies? I loved the first one, second one was still pretty cool with those zombie dudes, I hated the third one.

9. tjs282

tjs282 Socially distancing since 1975

Interesting you say that: I found the first one in a bag of books in the corner of of my son's room the other day, think he might have borrowed them from a friend. I'm a couple of chapters in so far (kinda desperate for new reading material), and the writing-style is... just... well... I'm not a writer, but I am a reader, and it reads... dreadfully.

10. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

You ought to right your own book on the subject when the study is complete.

11. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

"Why Humanity is a Nauseating Disease And Must Be Eradicated."

A future best seller!

12. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I think you need to start reading modern books. You keep reading all these classics and hating them.

Anyway got a copy of The Song of Achilles by Madelaine Miller from Oxfam. Since I liked her Circe I have high hopes for this.

SS-18 ICBM likes this.
  13. Synsensa

Pretty much the same thought. I have the first down as a 7.5, second as a 7, and the third as a 5.5. It would've been much worse were it not for the cool visuals.

My condolences.

I think the writing style is... okay... It highlights the author's weaknesses, I think. If you pause and assess, you'll realize every character has the exact same personality and the only plot development exclusively comes through deus ex machinas. The movies did a great job in making the plot more linear and compelling, and they gave the characters actual personalities.

Needless to say, I'm not reading the other books. There are five of them, I think, and I just don't have it in me to see how the books continue.

The first Percy Jackson book is nearly borrowed for me after being in my holds for a couple months. I know nothing about it, only that it's vaguely tied to mythology. Too bad I despise mythology. But it came recommended, and since it's considered a cornerstone of youthful development for my generation alongside Harry Potter I figure it's time I learn what it's all about. I'll probably draw the line here. I don't want to find out what that whole "Warrior Cats" thing is about. :scared:

14. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

I bought that one new not long after it came out. It's not bad but I wasn't a fan.

15. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Why future?

16. Synsensa

"The Bible" is already taken, and thus he must re-title and attempt a new release.

CurtSibling likes this.
  17. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Ah, so he's going for the deluge angle.

18. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Wasn't Maze Runner like Hunger Games but for boys? (/s)

tjs282 likes this.
  19. Kyriakos

Most classics I like. Faust just wasn't a good story. ETA Hoffmann is a far better romanticist.
    I am sure that the text itself was superior in german, but in english there was just the story, which is rather not interesting.

20. Kyriakos

Bouvard et Pécuchet, by Flaubert.
    I am in chapter 2. It seems they will waste 250.000 franks on doing stupid stuff and learn nothing at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.