Which brand of graphics card do you prefer?

What brand of graphics card would you prefer??

• Total voters
You're missing a few choices there: SiS, Intel, etc... But yeah, I dont have a preference between those two. ATi has cheaper AGP cards, and a wider selection, while nVidia is the powerhouse. If I really had to choose though, nVidia, because ATi really dropped the ball with the HD 2000 series
And both nVidia and ATi have other lines of cards besides just GeForce and Radeon....

Hard to say, considering that I've never used a Nvidia card. The one thing I'll say though is that I'm not a fan of ATI's drivers. (Its worth mentioning that I have the powerhouse (read: crappy) that is the Radeon X300 SE. (Stupid OEMs)

They did just release a new catalyst. It gave me a nice 5 fps increase in CoH ( from 35.5 to 40.4 ) but on other games it lowered performance. ATi has always been lacking in drivers actually, thats the main reason I would choose an nVidia card if I had free choice ( no budget or anything else like that )

You're missing a few choices there: SiS, Intel, etc... But yeah, I dont have a preference between those two. ATi has cheaper AGP cards, and a wider selection, while nVidia is the powerhouse. If I really had to choose though, nVidia, because ATi really dropped the ball with the HD 2000 series

Not too badly, the 2900 pro is very competitive.

I'd say they're more or less equal, with nvidia having an advantage at a few more price points than amd.

I've always been more satisfied with my ATI cards than my Nvidia cards, but there's really so little between them that I couldn't care less.

But that might (hopefully) change soon. They linux section is currently working hard on improving the drivers, AFAIK.

supposedly they released a new set of drivers today 8.41.7 that gives better support to a lot of cards.

From what I read here AMD (who bought ATI if somebody didn't know that still) is going open source on their drivers now.

I think that may take the Linux crown from Nvidia since the open source crowd doesn't attach to any one hardware brand. Especially if another brand offers a more open platform.

I've owned both. The GeForce line tends to out-perform the Radeons. The Radeons are often a bit cheaper and consume less power. If you want the best gaming card go with a Geforce 8800 series card. If you're more into videos then the Radeons do just fine.

The one that offers the most performance in my price range.

Gotta be ATI, Nividia 64 bit drivers dont work, atleast on my system anyway. Catalyst imo is better than forceware, and i dont see any FPS drop from catalysts (if you do, downgrade!)

Cards ive owned or used:
Ati:
HD 2600Xt 512Mb (Gddr3) (current card) 0 complaints
Radeon x1300 256Mb Good card, just not good enough for todays games.

Nvidia:
Geforce FX 5500 PCI 128Mb, Fantastic for its specs, this baby would run battlefied 2, sadly the rest of my computer didnt.
Geforce 6600LE, didnt use it, drivers didnt work, kept BSODing.
Geforce 6200, My dads card, not too great.

So im yet to use a new Nvidia, but im unimpressed with the 8500 GT 512Mb a friend has, it can run C&C3 at 1024*768 with full quality no AA/AF at 15 FPS, not good.

Gotta be ATI, Nividia 64 bit drivers dont work, atleast on my system anyway. Catalyst imo is better than forceware, and i dont see any FPS drop from catalysts (if you do, downgrade!)

So im yet to use a new Nvidia, but im unimpressed with the 8500 GT 512Mb a friend has, it can run C&C3 at 1024*768 with full quality no AA/AF at 15 FPS, not good.

64-bit forceware have worked fine for me in Windows XP x64, Server 2003 x64, Vista 64-bit, and Linux x64... for numerous others as well, so it's likely a problem on your end.

And the 8500gt isn't marketed to give good framerates, it's a $70 card.

Fair enough, perhaps its the rest of my friends system that is the problem. saying that a $70 card? thats rubbish in the UK, thats about 35 pounds, a 35 pound card here is something along the lines of a Geforce 6600, the 8500 is £50 here and your much better off getting the 8600 for one £10 more.

It depresses me how much more expensive computer equipment is here in the UK...

I don't care abuot the brand, I just pick a card with sufficiet power at a reasonable price. The new Ati cards had disapointing benchmark, so I chose a GF 8800 GTS 320 for my new computer and so far it works fine with every game on high details except the Crysis demo. I just hope performance will be better in the final version.
Only downside: every once in a while i get a bluescreen for no obvious reason
(some snafu with the vga memory, I hope this can and will be fixed with a future driver).

GoodSamaritan i doubt performance will be much better in the final release of Crysis, the 8800 GTS 320 doesnt have enough memory for the top textures for a start, but for that game the next step down should still blow your head off!

Top Bottom