Which Christmas Do You Celebrate?

Which Christmas do you celebrate?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just wondering. Is Hannukah mostly an excuse for Jews to celebrate Christmas or has it always been an important Jewish holiday that just happens to be celebrated about the same time as Christmas? Because I remember learning about judaism in school and I can't remember anyone ever mention a holiday called Hannukah.

None of the above.

Hannukah was a relatively minor holiday that has gotten blown up in importance due to it falling very close on the calender to Christmas.

The traditional holiday for giving gifts in Judaism is Purim, which is a much more important when compared to Hannukah. No one gives gifts on Purim anymore because of people doing it on Hannukah instead, though we still dress up in costumes and eat hamentaschen.

Hanukkah has become a substitute for Christmas in the sense of children receiving gifts.

But its main significance now is that it has become a symbol of Jewish identity.

While Hanukkah is a relatively minor Jewish holiday, as indicated by the lack of religious restrictions on work other than a few minutes after lighting the candles, in North America, Hanukkah in the 21st century has taken a place equal to Passover as a symbol of Jewish identity. Both the Israeli and North American versions of Hanukkah emphasize resistance, focusing on some combination of national liberation and religious freedom as the defining meaning of the holiday.

I celebrate Yule - the Celtic winter solstice celebration. It involves listening to folk-music, rituals in the woods and singing songs ourselves.

Pretty religious, can be classified as pagan if you wish.

Same here. I couldn't care less about this amalgamation of superstitious beliefs and the sheer insanity of buying things you can't afford for people who don't want what you are getting them.

That is why the others really need an airing of grievances.

We spend money on family and have time off work. This year we are going to Colorado for four days.

How on earth could anyone celebrate the commercial Christmas? Wallow in it, perhaps, but celebrate?

I celebrate Christmas, though I care as much about the birth of Jesus as I do the birth of Muhammad; what I'm celebrating is the mythical meaning of Christmas, the peace on earth/good will toward men spirit, as well as the actual meaning of the Solstice -- the promise of spring, the victory of light and life over darkness. I do go to church on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, because I like the idea of keeping faith with ancestors.

I also did it so I can urge protestants to keep the Mass in Christ's Mass if I hear one whinge about keeping Christ in Christmas. I've never had the opportunity, but it would be fun. ;)

I also did it so I can urge protestants to keep the Mass in Christ's Mass if I hear one whinge about keeping Christ in Christmas. I've never had the opportunity, but it would be fun. ;)

:lol: That's actually pretty darned funny! Let me know how that goes over if you ever get a chance to use it!

I like to celebrate Newtonmas on the 25th, where we give gifts from under the Tree of Knowledge decorated with the lights of Enlightenment and red orbs resembling apples of Inspiration.

But yeah, commercial Christmas too and all that jazz.

I celebrate Yule - the Celtic winter solstice celebration. It involves listening to folk-music, rituals in the woods and singing songs ourselves.

Pretty religious, can be classified as pagan if you wish.

Oooh. Can I come too? That's more like it, imo.

Though if you don't mind, I'll not be singing. You'll be grateful for that, I'm sure. If you've ever heard me sing before.

Top Bottom